Sleep phobia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey my names Darren, posted  before but thought id give it another shot.

life is good, i have a good business a newborn baby and a surportive partner. 

The problem which is crippling my life is i have anxiety in the fact i worry i wont sleep again. everynight is the same routine a bit like groundhog day, take my meds, serequel and clomipramine around 9pm than head to bed praying i sleep. every night i get to sleep but if i have a bad night and it gets late i have the back up of zopiclone or ambien. 

I recently see a pychatrist who recommended more meds or switching meds which wasnt very enlightening

ive had CBT which wasnt helpful 

I suggested to the pychatrist that i need to face the fear, but i need the back up of being put to sleep if after say 48 hours i couldnt sleep. this gives me the confidence to face the fear of being up for more than one night with no sleep and reasurance that if the unlikely event happened say after 30 - 40 hours the anxiety kept me from sleeping i could be put to sleep.

This phobia is completely reducing the quaity of my life, cant go out late, cant go on holidays cant stay out. 

i recently went to papworth hospital to see a sleep scientist who said he hasnt seen this problem before in the fact i sleep but worry i wont sleep. 

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated as im finding all doors closed and losing the will to live 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

darren

Why worry about not getting to sleep, you do sleep so the problem has not arisen as yet, so your concern is not being fulfilled. I understand your fear, what I do not understand why you are mulling this over all the time.

What you could try is a week on a Night Shift patern, you sleep during the day have your normal meals and get up and stay up all night following night shift work practice. You would then go home for your breakfast and go to bed until this hypothetical night shift starts again, after a few days you will switch your day around. and will sleep in the daytime.

After a week you would shift back arount to the natural curcidian rythm and see if you can confuse yourself, eventually your body will get back to sleeping at night and hopefully you will be able to understand your concerns are irrational.

I have travelled a great deal in my life, our longest journey was to New Zealand Direct, that was a little concerning and it took us about three or four days to sort out back to local time I wonder if something like that may make you understand your body is working naturally and take your concerns away

• Posted

Hi Darren.

I agree with Borderriever.

Try something different and skake it up a bit, and why worry about it when you do actually sleep?

One thing i don't understand is that they're going to induce sleep after 48 hours?

In a typical week, i have maybe 30 minutes sleep. Sometimes i don't sleep at all for weeks and then my head shuts down and i get maybe an hour before more weeks of none.

I know sleep is important, but i can't work out why you worry about not sleeping?, especially when you are.

I live with this every day and have done for many, many years, and i think if it was such an issue, why i haven't been told they'd induce sleep in my circumstance.

As suggested, try a new routine.

In the meantime, enjoy the sleep you get as some of us get none.

Good luck.

• Posted

First check you vitamin D level. I suppose you are in the US that D normal D range is 30-100. If you are on the lower margin or off the range then you should pump the D level back to it optimum level (70-75). I order to do this, 10000 IU a day for 3 weeks then 5000 IU for maintenance. This will heal your mental problems and also add unflavored gelatin 1 pack daily that will heal your insomnia problem plus good skin, good stomach and rid of joint pain.

The above mentioned all have no side effects like the medication so actually no harm to try.... another thing to look at is Magnesium supplement intake, google search it.

• Posted

Sorry to disagree raphael, but optimising vitamin D does NOT "heal" mental problems.

What nonsense!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.