Sleep problems after surgery....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks post op and have developed a combination of insomnia and terrible nightmares.

I'm also very tearful and agitated.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello again....yes, I did but more around 7/8 weeks post op. It will pass.

I am not in any way a medical profeesional, but my experience is;

Your poor body has been through a huge ordeal, emotionally & physically.

I put some of it down to masses of strong pain killers, it started for me when I stopped my morphine and could 'get my head around' (pun intended) what had just happened.

Your body is also still ridding itself of the anaesthetic, so from all the sleep you have had, your body now needs to readjust to its normal routine, which will take a while.

when I had my 8 month check up last month, I was reminded that the recovery is 2 years. This is not just your brain/head and neck/spine, this is your whole body. 

I have heard that brain surgery can leave some people in a state of almost 'grief' temporarily. I would cry one minute, then feel quite agitated & then really p*ssed off. Then, I would randomly fall asleep and have terrible nightmares and sweats. It didn't last long, maybe a week or so.

Be gentle with yourself, remember you have had a big op, let your body adjust. Avoid overdoing things, drink plenty of water, warm bubble baths and lots of tlc is in order.....

ps how is your infection? 

🤕

• Posted

Hi Hayleybell,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I just thought I was losing the plot a bit but you make complete sense. As usual!

Infection had gone, though red and itchy again today. Aaarrrggghhh!!!

I'll take it easy today - again! - and see how it goes!

C x

• Posted

I am so pleased to hear the infection has gone.

Red and itchy is good, apparently it means it is healing! 

Take care hun x

• Posted

Can't offer you any advise but just wanted to wish you well and hopefully these symtpoms will pass shortly.

I have terribly problems sleeping anyone so I can only imagine how this is when you are recovering from a mjor surgery as well

All the best

• Posted

Thank you.

Hope you're keeping well.

This sleep thing is no joke, is it?!

C x

• Posted

Hi, I had this too, but mine were about 1 to 2 wks after op, the dreams were so vivid! There is also a condition actually, it's a bit like post natal depression but it's post op depression. Things should improve all the time, I'm over 1st year since op and still have numbness on one side of head. Everyone recovers different. Hope you have a speedy recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.