Sleep restriction for insomnia - what's the "wake time"?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wife has had insomnia for several weeks, GP has recommended sleep restriction. Went to bed at 3am for 15 mins, no sleep so got up, tried again at 4, 5, 6, still awake at 06:30. GP expected her to get 5 or 6 hours from 3 till 9.

From what I've read online most sources say to get up at 9am regardless of how little sleep, but notes from gp suggest she should keep trying - so might have got to sleep at 2pm then expected to sleep till 8pm.

She was so fed up at 6:30 that she resorted to half a zopiclone which GP obviously wants her off (so does she!)

Spoke to (different) GP who advised the "get up at 9 regardless" approach but was clearly not sure....

So which is it? Get up at set time even with no sleep, or keep trying till she passes out?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have insomnia since 2004 and I was told to get up at a reasonable time and have a bath or shower and then plan ur day, as for the night time, have a bath or shower at a reasonable time then sit and relax and then decide what is a reasonable time u want to go to sleep, I was told in recent months, if u want a good nights sleep then u need to cut the daytime snoozing out. Try lavender essential oil in the bath on a night, it should help, I've had insomnia since 2004 and I have cut the daytime snoozing out and I'm just starting to get a good night sleep.

• Posted

I empathise with your situation. I was reading about insomnia only this morning. I have enclosed a few tips that may help.

​No computer, phone, before retiring.

Avoid caffeine and chocolate, sugar for a few hours prior to bedtime.This is said to make a big difference.

LMEON balm.

Spray of frankinese oil under the pillow.

Listening to radio .

Making sure the bedrroom is at a comfortable temperature. Making the bedroom nice and tidy so it becomes a sanctuary rather than a crash pad.

​Relaxation tapes.

Thinking pleasant thoughts whilst trying to get off to sleep.

Hope the above helps.

• Posted

Thanks, I get up anywhere from 9am and 11am and have a bath as for a night time, I have a bath between 8pm and 9.30pm and a few drops of lavender essential oil in and relax for up to half an hour, after that I relax with a bit of tv or read a book and then I go to bed by no later than midnight and I have some relaxation music on and just lie in my bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.