Sleeping

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ok.  I know it's different for everyone but it seems like two steps forward, one step back for me. Just can't get comfy at night, when I do I wake up In such awful pain it's hard to even move to new spot. 😡

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mary

I am not sure how far post op you are but my best advice is to ask if you can take an OTC sleep aid with no added pain med and get a heating pad ,a good night sleep will help you heal and boost your energy. Remember to ice for swelling I find the heat helps me to sleep and i put the pad on for a few mins before I get up it eases the stiffness. Good luck to you, these forums are a great help.

• Posted

I am almost 5 weeks and do take natural sleeps aids.  I will try heat...have been hesitant too as yet.  I am still icing when I am on my legs  a lot.
    • Posted

Mary

As I said I still use ice for swelling and the pain that goes with it usually from over doing it . I am 14 weeks post op had both knees done same time . I am not sure why you don't use sleep aids but that's a personal choice but i felt 1000 times better after a couple of full nights sleep and using the pad at night because my surgery was done in the winter really helped with the stiffnes. My PT is the one who recommend these two things maybe talk to yours see what they think.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I'm 6 weeks post op and sleeping all night is a distant memory. I put my ice pack on going to bed which gets me over, but when i move it is uncomfortable and sore, wakes me and then can't get back to sleep for ages, will go back over for a couple hours to repeat  again. My consultant said this should improve by 12 weeks. This past week it has got a wee bit better in that i am getting back over slightly quicker. I was told not to use heat on replacement as it is still swelling but so many people here are using it i think tonight i will. I would try anything for a good sleep as soooo tired and trying not to nap during day as i feel that kept me awake too.  
    • Posted

I said I do use sleep aids.  

When you say "pad" at night, do you mean ice or heat?

My icing device is also "a pad."

• Posted

Mary

When I say pad I mean heat I have one that turns itself off I put it on low or med and place it on both my knees (make sure to have somethin between you and the pad so you can feel the warmth but not burn your skin) since I had them both done. Then off to sleep I go . Mt pt told heat was ok when i was 7 weeks post op . In the morning i turn it back on to relieve the stiffness before i get up.

• Posted

I am trying heat...it is just so stiff that I think it may help before I do my exercises.  I am only five weeks PO and really doing quite well as far as my PT is concerned.  Just getting anxious to get on with it.  You all know what I mean😉
    • Posted

Mary

I might be a chicken I knew if I had one done I would never have the other done and they both had to go. So I did them both. I wish you all the best remember to take your time we all heal at our own pace.

• Posted

Couldn't believe how much easier to bend.  Wish I could put it in my car and heat all the way to PT.  LOL
    • Posted

Be very careful with heat. My therapist and surgeon absolutely forbid heat as it causes swelling espe ially directly on the incision. If you must try it use it only on the back of the leg. Going back to icing, many get impatient a d leave it on 5 or 10 mins when it really. Needs 20 to work. 20 on 20 off. Some of the confusion comes from muscle therapy where 20 mins of ice then 20 heat. Just be careful and don't create more problems.
    • Posted

I just used on back of leg for 15 minutes. Totally agree with you.
    • Posted

I only put it on back leg too, my husband (does listen at times!) said def not on front or sides. It did help back of leg. still icing and will continue to as long as necessary. thanks you
  • Posted

I don't think anyone has an absolute on this. I always used a thin pillow between my legs to make sure my knees didn't hit. I guess I've come to the conclusion in my own recoveries that blood pools in the area around the knee causing swelling and pain. I fell in love with my recliner shortly after my first tkr in 2004 and we have maintained a very close relationship throughout the last 6-8 surgeries and 4 rehabs. Between the fluids pooling in the joint and swelling caused by inactivity its an uphill battle. Others have used long, thicker pillows and variations. Just remember to take pain meds at bedtime with extra hydration ( yes, you may have to get up and go pre one additional time but that may help you to move the leg and get some circulation.I also found the quality of tv programming @ 2a.m. Definately brought on sleep. Hope this helps and others will have some great remedies as well. One additional story: my wife initially would raise hell with me for getting up as she thought it was a bad habit I was getting into. She had every remedy in the world that she had picked him from books and Dr's. She got up one night and came in to read me the riot act and found me screaming into a pillow the pain was so bad and the lain meds hadn't taken hold. It was then she realized that soft music, was a waste of time. Pain is real and has to be dealt with in the best possible manner for relief.
    • Posted

I think I am one of the rare birds that doesn't get much relief from pain meds, but I still take them (5wks?) Crazy.

I also use lots of pillows.  Thank God I have a husband with the patience of Jobe........I rearrange them throughout the night😖

• Posted

Hi oldfatguy, I love reading your posts they cheer me up, my husband too gave off to me getting up during the night to go downstairs cos i couldn't sleep, he didn't want me to fall or need him and him asleep upstairs. He gave up when saw me in tears with pain and could take no more meds.  I hated disturbing him being awake during the night as he gets up at 6am for work. I now read using a wee dim night light and then doze off. Keep posting your knowledge really helps.
    • Posted

Hi Mary and everyone else,

It is day 3 post surgery of my PKR. I am sooo tired, hungry (but still nauseous), constipated and in alot of pain *thanks to my First PT session yesterday. Let's just say, I'm not having a good time at this moment. Well my original pain meds made me nauseous, so my doctor switched me to Dillaudid, but it doesn't seem to help with the pain. So the pharmacist suggested take 1 Pain pill, 1 Ibuprofen, and 1 Benadryl for the itchies. I hope my pain will calm down so I can sleep. I still have ALOT OF SWELLING, so can't do my heating pad yet. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for the pain, itchies, or sleep depravation. Help!!!!!!!!

• Posted

I too am a big fan! I love your stories and suggestions...you bring so much needed humor to all the 😢 that everyone is going through.

And I know that you go by oldfatguy1, but your a super-hero who brings some laughter when sometimes all you want to do is cry.

Thanks OFG1 because you're right...pain is real and it has to be dealt with!

Blessings and healing, Deb

• Posted

Hi Sassy, best wishes for your recovery, I am 6 weeks post op. I was nausesous for first couple weeks and hungry too. I ate a lot of melon, strawberries and grapes as my mouth was horrible no matter how many times i cleaned my teeth. other food had no appeal to me but nurses encouraged me to eat some of it. you have to it helps with the healing. i also was constipated but day 4 nurses gave me some potion which sorted that....but  constipation did continue at home,  they gave me lactulose to take. it did improve after couple weeks. appetite etc does get better, it is just the anathesitic all the medication you are on.

you need to ask for pain meds and ice stay on top of pain, it is harder to get back on top of the pain.

as for sleep depravation...part of the package and ongoing I still wake every night 2-3 times when i turn and due to pain. It is hard to get back over.

Keep icing it, i never thought it would help so much.

Good luck  with your recovery.x

• Posted

What's wrong with us?  Dilaudid did squat for me and that was after trying Oxycodone.  
    • Posted

I was on oxycodone after my tkr. It worked ok. Not totally out of pain but tolerable. I had mua done this past wed and was given oxycodone again for the pain. The tablets were the same dose but smaller in size. Instead of 1 every 4 hrs it's 1 every 6 hrs. Maybe time released pt said. It takes an hr to work then couple hrs later I'm hurting. Calling dr tomorrow. Funny story about dilaudid. I was given that in hospital in iv. The nurse came back to ck on me and my pain. I asked her if that med caused hallucinations. She asked why. I told her I was watching tv. It was night time raining at a train station. With the station and tracks. Nurse looked at me kinda of weird. I told her the TV wasn't even on! Ha ha no more of that for me. Good luck everyone and hoping for a restful night to everyone.
    • Posted

I got Dilaudid IV for breakthrough pain in the hospital......now that woOrally,  not so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.