Sleeping patterns

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,  I wake up every half hour during the night - is this menopause sleeping pattern? Any good supploements for insomnia - magnesium doesnt seem to help

Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi..I too been dealing with Insomnia but it started way before perimenopause symptoms. Now with the menopause symptoms the insomnia has gotten worse. I recently started taking a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. I have only started taking it for a few days and hoping it helps.
    • Posted

Hi, is it a similar pattern - falling asleep, then waking up every half hour or so?
    • Posted

Yes similar. I fall asleep and then I keep waking up every half hour or hour. I'm so exhausted and feel so tired all day every day. My doctor has prescribed sleep medication and nothing has helped.

My problem is not falling asleep but staying asleep through the night is what I need and can't seem to be able to.

• Posted

Thanks. How long have you had it for? . I read that insomnia in perimenopause is  usually caused by night sweats but I dont feel any , just  tossing and turning whole night
    • Posted

Oh I been dealing with chronic insomnia for around 15 years, way before my perimenopause , my symptoms started in 2008, I had hormone testing last year to see if I'm going through perimenopause and sure enough the blood work came back abnormal .

I have terrible hot flashes and occasionally night sweats. I get awful anxiety and panic attacks especially when I get so exhausted from getting no sleep. Like you I turn and toss all night. Is like my mind can shut down.

• Posted

Hi Polly, I have exactly the same. I've had insomnia before but it was always trouble falling asleep or waking early. But for the past month or two it's been this waking every half an hour or so, usually in the middle of a dream. I wake in the morning feeling exhausted. I use magnesium but it hasn't stopped it. Sometimes I take Nytol which does help but it makes me very groggy the next day.
  • Posted

Hi Polly111,

I've had difficult staying asleep since stopping HRT 4 months ago. I came across some good recommendations in Menopause exchange which is a free newsletter which provides advice & research for those going through peri & menopause. They reviewed herbal supplements & I tried one they recommended called Melissa Dream. So far I've been taking these for about 1 month & I must say I'm having good quality sleep & feeing energised the next day. I work full time & get through the whole day & continue activities after work till about 10 or 11 pm feeling fine where before I had a lot of 'brain fog' & or anxiety. I'm a lot brighter now & don't feel so introverted now. I plan a 3 month trial before incorporating the supplement combination into my diet. I hope this helps you & others having sleep problems. It's not perfect yet, but 90% better!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.