Sleeping with pillow between legs

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am 10ish weeks post op. Still sleeping with pillow between legs when on my side.   Do other hippies think this is necessary ? I forgot to ask the doctor at my final outpatient appointment. Is the pillow thing something that needs to continue forever? 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 11 wks p.o. and have not used a pillow for weeks. As ling as you are comfortable without it, give it a go. Can always put it bk if you're not.

Brenda xx

• Posted

I was told it keeps our hips in line...I've always used one, helps my back too.

• Posted

I asked the other day at " joint camp"  about the pillow between the legs they told me " no not necessary" even right after surgery, so I think all Dr's may be different.  I was under the impression ( and I an be wron being pre op) the pillow was to make sure you stay on your back. i am sure others will provide feedback. 

• Posted

I am surprised by the joint camp advice .... the pillow is partly to kep you on your back but also to keep you from twisting/turning your hips.

But then ... I have slept like this for so many years due to back and hip problems that I doubt I could sleep without it!

😄

L

• Posted

Thanks Linda, I will ask the Dr when I see him on Aug 3rd, thank you!! (I notice laying in bed and on the sofa my leg turns towards the outside, does everyone's toe point straight up??

• Posted

hi chris,  

Same here - I am Sleeping with (body) pillow for a long time is more comfortable for me because of back - 

It makes  sense to me that you use it in the beginning but yeah, so many different approaches -and some so contradictory ...

it is up to you, darling ....

if it bothers you, stop using it - 

not much help huh

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Hippyhopchris:

I am not sure on how long a person needs to continue with the pillow between the legs, but I am 9 weeks 2 days post op and still use one when I try to lay on my side. I still have pain for some reason when I try to lay on my side so don't lay that way to often. Wish I knew the answer.....Barb

• Posted

I am about 12 weeks post surgery for a left hip replacement. My biggest complaint at this point is that I am so tired and sleepy during the day because I just don't sleep as well at night. I think this is because I am definitely a side sleeper and I do use a pillow between my knees but I still can only sleep for a short time because it is not truly comfortable. My side begins to hurt on both sides - the operated side and the other side. Then I go back to sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees/calves, but I just can't sleep well on my back. I keep hoping that eventually this will improve. I know that I still need to have my right hip replaced and both of my knees done eventually, but it's hard to imagine when I am still not sleeping well since this surgery.

• Posted

Sounds just like me Patiotoole, I can't lay on either side for very long, left is bad going to be replaced in 19 more days and right side was just done almost 10 weeks ago. I don't sleep well on my back either and have found myself taking long naps lately as I am exhausted. I am not sure for me if it is because of not getting a good comfortable nights rest or exhaustion from trying to hobble around and every move is an effort with my left hip being so bad. For us both it could just be a combination of it all. The hips that are still bad, the not getting comfortable and getting a good sound sleep. I am hoping that once my other hip is done that after I am healed that some of this will be resolved. I do understand though that it will be a slow process. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Hi Barb and Patiotoole:

Boy can I relate to you two even at 14 weeks. Funny thing is that even when I am so tired, I can't seem to fall asleep. I did get a short term script for sleeping pills. The first night was great as I got a good chance know if sleep and felt renewed the first morning after. I meant to say that I didn't use them 5 nights in a row. Next few nights meds did nothing. Those tabs were 5 mg. so I now have a scrip to try 10 mg. tabs. Just part of the various strategies, still using the pillow, meditation YouTube session, various positions.

• Posted

Yes think that is what I need. I am getting my second hip replacement in 18 more days and this time will ask my surgeon for something to help me sleep. I don't have my normal energy during the day like I should and I do think that not sleeping properly is a lot of it. Also a lot of it is the left hip which is still bad, is really bad and causes me pain 24/7....

• Posted

Hi Kathy and all other none sleepers.I am 10weeks post op and had my first full night's sleep last night! Prescribed amytiptyline 4days ago and what a difference!It is used for pain and relaxing in small dosages.Ask your doctor.Works for me

Janet

• Posted

I'm nearly 3 weeks post thr I have started to sleep without pillow between legs I have no pain if I feel some discomfort I place a pillow there majority of the time it's fine.

• Posted

You are so lucky raylene I sure wish it helped me, but it doesn't....I am wondering if I have extra problems because I also had a fracture that had to be repaired that the surgeon found during surgery.....Hum.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.