Slight positive, and inconclusive? What does this even mean..

Posted , 4 users are following.

After two weeks I finally got my results back for hsv1 and hsv2

Hsv1- slight positive. She didn't explain this too well to me. Can anybody help?rolleyes

Hsv2- inconclusive. Has anybody else ever had this as a result? If so, what did it end up meaning?

I'm just very frightened and could use more information, thank you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It may mean nothing at all, as in you don't have anything. Was this the IgG HerpeSelect test? What were your numerical values? Have you reason (e.g., symptoms, outbreak) to suspect herpes, whether oral or genital? Need more info!
    • Posted

But to give you some background on the herpes IgG test, you should note that the test looks for antibodies to the virus (not the virus itself) in your blood. Your body needs time to build up antibodies to a new infection, so the window testing period is important (for all tests, not just herpes, and this period can vary by infective agent). For herpes, the recommended period is at least 3-4 months (some say 6 months) from exposure.

The test measures your HSV-1 and HSV-2 IgG antibody levels, with the numeric values compared against a standard reference range (can vary by test brand) in order to interpret your values. There are three categories in the reference range: Negative, Equivocal and Positive. As a result, it's not a simple Neg/Pos scenario, unfortunately. Also, false negatives and positives can and do occur in certain cases.

To better understand your results and herpes status, try to supply more details as above, and we'll see if we can help!

• Posted

How awful that they didnt give you a thorough explination

See if you can get the actual values

• Posted

No I've never had that before because I was definitely HSV positive. But it sounds kind of strange but if I had to decide for it it would read you're pretty much have the virus for the cold sores on the mouth and they could not you say conclusively that you have of the vaginal area

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.