slightly raised white cells

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, this is my first discussion.  I'm due to have LTHR Friday 7thy October.  My white cells are slightly higher than the norm.  I feel great appart from the pain I'm getting from my dodgy hip.  In an NHS hospital, there is no problem operating on someone with a white count of 12.4, but I'm due to have my surgery at a place that only works to keep down NHS waiting lists & they do this on behalf of the NHS.  Their criteria is very tight.  I'm having a further test this Thursday & if it's still higher than 11, the surgery will be cancelled.  I've been advised to increase my intake iof water as this will help flush out any infection I may yhave.  As i've said though, I feel grear appart from the bone on bone pain from my left hip.  Anyone else ever come across this?

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

No I'm afraid I can't help you in this matter at all . But just wanted to say hi 😃🖐as I'm having my hip replacement on the 6th 😬X just drink loads , I hope your not cancelled x blessings xx

• Posted

Thank you Bobbie.  I will keep drinking loads.  Hope your surgery goes well too.
    • Posted

Hi Bobbie102,

Good luck with your surgery, its the best thing I ever did, I'm 6 weeks 5 days and I'm feeling stronger every day. Remember we are here when the dark clouds gather, This forum has been there for me and we will be there for you xxxx

Love and light 

Kim

• Posted

Hi Ray

I can't help either but just wanted to wish you good luck, I'm 7 week 5 day's post OP. This forum is ACE, there is always someone on who can probably help.

Good Luck xxxx

Kim

• Posted

Sorry I meant 6 weeks 5 days, I'm getting in front of my self smile

• Posted

Yes you need to drink alot and flush your system ... there maybe a little nasty bug waiting to erupt and you do not want that.. Good luck and hope it all goes okay 
  • Posted

Hi Ray. I am 6 weeks 6 days. The other hip was done in 2014. Both were bone on bone but again, everything going really well. It is lovely to be able to start bending down now without that nagging pain just the operation stiffness. Haven't a clue about white blood cells. Are you having the op done in a NHS hospital ? Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Poly.  The op is being done for the NHS, but it's at Bristol in a small hospital run by Care UK on behalf of the NHS.  Care UK only does work for the NHS, & this is to help keepwaiting lists lower.  Lovely to hear from you Poly & I'm delighted your recovery is going so well.  Bless you Poly,.  Ray

• Posted

Hi Ray,

Blood count is certainly one of the criteria for admission for a thr here (although I have no idea what threshold is used as the cut-off here). My surgeon (and team) took extraordinary measures to reduce the likelihood of infection given the greater than usual risk associated with wounds in this area). And I know that the cancellation that moved up my first thr, was due to this.

I am 6 days post op posterior trhr and improvements in the protocol as for anaesthetics have made the journey so far, much, much easier. There is little of the acute mental fog, nausea and my sleep patterns are much better than last time.

I hope you experience these improvements too.

Good luck Ray.

L

• Posted

Thank you Linda.  Good to hear you are doing well post op.  I also understand that anaesthetics have improved greatly.  I'm due to have a spinal for this. 

• Posted

I had a spinal with two injections given at the same time (I know one was a smallercamount of mrphine and the other ??? But i will get this from my surgeon's report of the operation). It is quite a juggling act for the anaesthetic the- so the more info you provide references previous experience, the better they can blend the cocktail. In my case, for example, they had tradeoffs between hallucinogenic experience and low blood pressure last time. However, they juggled it, Bravo!

Good luck.

But please don't worry about this part of the thr journey - you should wake up pain-free and relaxed. Later on after the spinal wears off ... well that is another story.

L

• Posted

Hi, I had raised white cell count at my pre op assesment. My count was 500! It was caused by a water infection. They gave me a 7 day course of antibiotics and all was fine by op day. I am now 4 weeks post op. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

P.S. spinal is great wake up feeling so much better than after full anasthetic.x
    • Posted

Thank you Christine.  Mine is just 12.4, so only 1.4 above the criteria for the hospital I've been transferred to.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.