Slow Gut mobility and hiatus hernia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys have read all your comments hears my problem . 2 years ago started to feel unwell stomch swelling lots of pressure in my stomach and under my solar plexus and burning . My doctor told me my IBS was playing up cause I have servere muscle spasms in my solar plexus and gut give me PPIS felt worse . To cut a long story short had camera down throat took 5 months found hiatus hernia told me didn't have gerd said the acid and pressure was me taking to much air in . Give me some tablets for nerves and PPIS told me to come back in three months, that was 2 years ago l changed my doctor was off work for a year , crying bloated all the time feels like my whole digestive system don't work well my new doctor is lovely he gave me PH test in my oseahagus that was fine barium meal that showed bread poping back out of my stomach another camera down throat hernia 2cm took some biosies they were fine . I have been on lonaccotide and gabaentin lotta of others strayed to feel better but gone really bad again feel like my acid stays in my stomach to long each very well always have cause I have IBS tried everything hcl for low stomach acid every diet and digestive emsyms felt more acid gone without food and had juice green drinks have good bacteria am really losing my mind when I cry I feel like I can't breathe so much pressure on chest feels like someone is putting there thumb on my solar plexus the air acid wind in my body is to much can't get it out fast enough stomach gurgling when it god down don't have any toilet problem really , my gastroenterologist days have slow ode heal mobility problems and may some nerve damage in the gut but can it cause all these problems ? And how do I get better because I have done everything they told me to do I believe mor in natural ways cause I think tablets mess your body up eat small meals eat heathy have seen a dietain fodmap diet done this diet since I was 23 am now 46 is anyone like me cause I feel really alone my family are great but they didn't understand thanks for listening everyone God bless

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ricky, you have my deepest sympathy, all the digestive problems you have described I have experienced over the last ten years, I have got an edoscopy next Wednesday, praying all is ok.  I really have changed everything about my lifestyle in recent years, no smoking, drinking, coffee, spicy food, dairy, gluten etc etc, all to no avail, must all be down to acid.  Sick of taking PPI's.  I now feel that my stomach doesn't emply, don't know if this all part of slow motility problems, I just hope I can get some form of surgery that will help.  I like you don't really share this with my family as they don't understand and my long suffering partner is at a loss, just holds my hand, bless him, unless you experience all these horrible syptoms you can never imagine how rubbish you feel. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Joanna sorry to here about your problems. Have you noticed that most people with acid problems have hiatus hernia , my first doctor told me have not got gord diease but why do I have lots of acid ? One doctor I read about has said hernia can block your oesophagus depending were it is as your stomach can get shoved up to your chest though pressure and drop when you eat and then back and fore pulling air and making wind and that's the pain . I asked can a hiatus hernia give me problems but my first gastro said no I take to much air in , what a prick , anyway got a new gastro now and I am going to ask him . I also got told 2 cm hernias don't need repairing some of them talk sh*t they haven't got it . Sorry about my swearing just get so angry?? Let my know how you get on I will always listen take care sweetie x

• Posted

hi ricky

dont feel alone there are plenty of people out there with the same problem as you. firstly your hiatus hernia which is a tear in your diaphragm  just at the opening of the osoephagus would cause the valve at the top of your stomach to weaken and cause reflux  which is causing anything you swallow into you stomach like bread or cereals to reflux back out of the stomach if you swallow air  alot you will be very gassy and have gurgling sounds in your stomach. if there is any damage to the vagus nerves it can slow up mobility of food transiting through your digestive system you were right when you stated that prescribed tablets can mess up your body whilst a doctor may prescribe you gabapentin which has many side effects the doctorrs prescribing this medication wont tell you of the side effects of taking certain medications look up on the internet the effects of medication you are taking . you stated you have a 2cm hiatus hernia be very care ful in your daily life in what you lift as you dont want the tear to become 4cm the larger the hernia the more complications you will have put an extra pillow under your head and sleep with your chest raised.whilst you put your trust in natural remedies remeber it is simply a tear in the diaphragm which is causing you these problems.  i personally have had four operations to repair a hiatus hernia all were unsuccessful  i do hope you find a treatment in the future that improves your quality of life

• Posted

Thanks Andrew i am a cleaner so I do bend a lot Also stress too . Heard about the vagus nerve (Google every thing scare myself to death) . I have always had acid related problems with IBS since I was 24 am 46 now I eat good but sometimes I can't win have a lot of intolerances dairy wheat critus fruit mushrooms buckwheat to name a few thanks for your advice it helps . Can I ask you why did your hernia repairs did not work thanks??

• Posted

reply to why my hernia repairs did not work.

your diaphragm is only a thin sheet of muscle which seperates your abdomen from your chest . and next to the heart its one of the most hard worked muscles as it constanly moving up and down to assist in breathing my diaphragm was to weak due to a large hiatus hernia and any surgery you have further weakens the area of repair. also having a patch placed to strenghten this area does not always garuantee a permanent repiar . as i am living proof of that. however i will state it was worth all the pain just to get rid of the acid reflux and the long term problems that causes and i have never been sick once in twenty years after my first op. i dobt very much that i would be here today if i had not got the vlve at the top of my stomach tightened to stop acid reflux and the possibility of getting barrets osoephagus due to long term acid reflux.

• Posted

Hi Ricky, in answer to your question regarding acid, yes I have been led to believe that hiatus hernia and high acid production go hand in hand, that is from Gastro peeps.  I first was diagnosed with too much acid before I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, interestingly depending on who in the medical profession you speak to opinions differ as to whether they have the  effects you and I suffer from.  One Dr in A&E said that he didn't believe that a hiatus hernia caused all of the pain, bloating, dizziness, nausea, belching, constipation and general misery I suffer.  I have tried taking aloe vera, slippery elm and just about every other health supplement going to no avail.  Sorry to sound a misery but after many years I am beginning to lose faith.  It will be interesting to see what the Gastro chap finds on Wed, will keep you posted., in the meantime hang in there.

• Posted

Hi joanna please let me know how you get on , sometimes I wish I had lots of money so I could have all tests to do with the gut and acid , bet you they would find out what was wrong then! I do read a lots about this subject because when I got told had IBS just got tablets thrown at me never told me how to cope with it I what I was doing wrong , took a lot of trial and error. Sometimes I feel acid problems are to do with intorants of food or insuffiant vitamins I have calcium magnusim problems in the past cause let's face it your not born with this are you ! Take care sweetie??

• Posted

I agree Ricky, most people want to win the lottery to buy a Porshe, I would go straight past the showroom to the best Gastro person I could find!! Seriously it is why the tickets, sad but true.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi, I've had similar issues. The thing that bothered me the most was the pressure. It made me feel like I couldn't breathe; which then caused stress and panic attacks. The thing is, I probably had a hernia for a long time. It's probably indirectly caused all my food intolerances (of which like made here) I have many.

Long story short, I haven't had the pressure in some time. For me it would come and go - that's the part that got me. I finally, finally figured out what it was - at least for me. My gastro doc and regular doc (between the two of them) put me on both Omeprozale and Ranitidine. I would only take the Omeprozale for short periods because it seemed to give me symtoms Ranitidine didn't, maybe increase my anxiety and worse. Anyway, it took me several rounds of Omeprozale for me to see the pattern to connect the pressure in my sternum issue to the Omeprozale. I stopped taking it - and the pressure has not returned since - at least not yet - for months. I still have a lot of food sensitivities, I still seem to have food not go through me like it should, and lots of other issues - but the pressure - the WORST symptom I had from all of this by FAR - has disappeared. I told my gastro doc that I was stopping that med as I was sure that was what had been causing it (once I finally recognized the pattern) and she quickly dismissed it. I'd love to see if others on here who have a big issue with pressure are on Omeprazole. Just a thought that if you are on that med Ricky, to check with your doc so see if there are correlations or to investigate further if others have had the same issue as me so you could see if getting off it (if you are) would help you.

Good luck in any case!

I really think all the stuff they've done to our food is what's really messing with all of us probably more than anything else....

• Posted

Hi therese they have give me PPI but I don't take them they just make me more bloated , I seriously think I have a gallbladder problem cause last night I felt very poorly under my right rib cage burning feeling going to my right rib cage get this burning liquid swezzing under my right rib then feel bloated my chest goes into spasm makes me feel like I am going to be sick but just bile , they say I have acid or slow gut mobilty but I don't think it's that and Ian scared , I have had 3 gall blaster scans over the years but say have not stones but I know that you don't have to have stones to have hall badder issues I want the dye test doing to see how much fiction my gall blaster has God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.