Slow Heart Rate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it a risk to have an anaesthetic if you have a slow pulse rate of 46?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is your pulse always slow? Mine usually is, resting is anywhere from 48-55. My mothers pulse is always slow too. Last time she went for a hand surgery and at first they didn't want to do it because her pulse was 48 but she told them that it's always low. They will definitely be monitoring and decide what is best.

• Posted

I had my aortic valve replaced with a heart rate in the low 40's and later a three hour prostate surgery without a problem

When I was there a guy was told that his heart rate was 26 bpm when he went for assessment prior to hip replacement They fitted him with a pacemaker.

• Posted

Wow that's very low and obviously not healthy, I have read that pacemakers are an option should the heart rate fall too low but that I suppose is the last resort.

• Posted

Sounds like it is just his normal then. Just means his heart is really efficient at moving blood... as long as he isn't always lightheaded and dizzy. Also , as long as it raises appropriately with activity.

• Posted

Athletes have slow heart rates. My GP runs marathons and his heart rate is in the 40's

An A&E nurse after taking my pulse asked if I used to be very fit. I told her it is something I was never guilty of!.

• Posted

My son was born with a slow pulse rate and doctors would joke and say he will make a good athlete. He was then diagnosed with asthma. Now it seems to me it is part of having Bradycardia to become breathless. That is why I have no faith in doctors, why don't they read the medical notes?

• Posted

Yes he does go to the gym and go running but he is not an athlete, just likes to keep fit.

When he was younger he played quite a few sports. Short sharp sprints made him a bit breathless but doctors called that asthma, which I now think was misdiagnosed.

• Posted

That's good then. I have looked alot into slow heart rate because I have always been nervous about mine. Seems to me though that it is just the way each of us are different. I am not an athlete either.

• Posted

It's all fine until you require surgery but hopefully anaesthetics are able to deal with it.

Propofol definitely should not be used I have read it brings the heart rate down.

Thank you for your reassurance and it's good to know we are not alone with these conditions.🤗

• Posted

Ask ur Dr.about at because personally I would say yes,Cause I was told I couldn't have that sleeve surgery because my heart rate stays at 45-50 all the time!But really ask ur Dr.!

• Posted

Oh that's scary because they were just going to operate, then my son cancelled because the anaesthetist did not have a discussion prior to the date of op.

• Posted

Prior to one operation the anaesthetist did not like my ECG and said that he did not want me to die on him! I had to have an echo cardiogram on the morning of the operation to satisfy him.
    • Posted

Oh that is a worry, glad it all worked out but what stress on top of having to have an op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.