slow heart rate and leg swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.

Recently my heart rate has been slowing down. I'm a really anxious person and suffer with a higher heart rate.

recently it's been down to around 56. During the night it goes down to around 41!

My legs and ankles have been swelling too.

I had an mri and echo in February for a potential problem of inverted T waves in v1 - v3 and bisphasic T waves in v4 - v6. Nothing abnormal was noted. My heart rate was noted at 100bpm.

Everything has changed now. My Gp said there is nothing wrong and not to worry until my heart rate gets down to 30!!

Any ideas? I'm so worried.

Thank you, Liz xx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello.My heart rate is a bit like this too.Do you suffer from etopic beats at all??

I have pauses....and ectopics.

I am 39 years old.

At rest my heart is 53ish...Nightime sleep its 44 - 42 ish...

When I was on beta blockers it went down to 30 and made me feel v.ill.

Even if Im very anxious my heart wont budge from 53 when im sitting ?? Crazy hey!

Swelling of the ankles needs to be checked.

So go see your Dr or out of hours or even A nd E.

Maybe the swelling is due to the heat or something else other than the heart....But best to get in checked then it eases your mind.

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for replying.

Every time I've been to my Go my legs don't swell!

He said its because I'm overweight and not active.

The funny thing is I'm on holiday at the mom enter and have been really active and they were swollen yesterday.

X

• Posted

I'm not any them more....I was on beta blockers for a year due to fast heart rate.But it didnt matter what dose I took high or low....my heart rate still went way too high or way too low 30's... and I was very poorly on all of the beta blockers...I tried loads.Im off them now (Feb this year)....But when I came off I started getting etopics.....and pauses.X

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry to hear this.

What's happening now?

Why was your HR so fast?

X

• Posted

I went for a tattoo to cover a c - sec scar last March....I passed out on the table.I had a fit like experience the tattoo guy said.

After that my heart rate kept going really fast periodically.Maybe a huge adrenaline serge...... ever since I have had heart problems. X

• Posted

A general practitioner has no business (other than selfishness) to advise you on unusual heart functions. Pick a good cardiologist.

If you don't look out for your health nobody will.

• Posted

Hi Bob

I'm in the UK and find gp's not so keen to refer you on.

My sister has Brugada Syndrome and so I had the echo which found the inverted T waves and the bisphasic ones and so I had an mri to check for abnormalities.

I constantly check my HR on my Fitbit and I'm getting quite distressed with it all.

I also suffer with crippling anxiety and I think my gp thinks I'm neurotic.

What do you think is going on with my heart? Why would it be getting slower? Xx

• Posted

It could be due to ectopic beats.....as it pauses after each one....which makes the heart rate seem slower.

Or maybe Bradicardia....( slow heart rate)

Medications can cause this.

I feel my heart is slow at the mo and I get v.nurotic about it...Pulse checking.I have an abnormal heart rythum * Arythmia*

The Drs say your heart has a plan B and C back up plan and will not just stop.

Oh my....It still makes you feel scared

XX

• Posted

Hi

Sorry I dodnt get back earlier, we were on holiday and didnt get much internet!

It's such a worry, isnt it.

Im worried my heart is getting slower and slower and one day will just stop too!

My GP said to come back when it gts down to 30!

x

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, I would ask for a blood test to rule out an underactive thyroid. If this proves to be the case, it can be corrected with medication. All the best, let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Hello Bess

Thank you for replying.

Im on levothyroxine for my thyroid, its just been increased to 100mg.

Could the increase be doing this?

x

• Posted

Hello Lizzie, I would think its most likely that the levothyroxine hasnt completely kicked in yet. Did you have these symptoms before the increase? If so, I would expect things to improve given a little more time on the increased dose. I'm not a doctor though. Bess x

• Posted

Hello

Ive only had the heart slowing down since the increase or maybe its just coincidental?  I just dont know.

The gp didnt seem bothered.

Ive just got back from a mini holiday and had an awful time, constantly checking my heart rate and wondering where the  nearest hospital is....

x

• Posted

Hi Liz, troubles with computer, will try again. I think you said you had had an echo and an MRI. These will have been read by a fully qualified cardiologist and the results sent on to your GP. just tell yourself that if the cardiologist couldnt find anything worrying then you dont need to be afraid(easier said then done!).I understand your anxiety (thyroid and a collapse with heart condition 3 years ago). Its horrible when you feel your heart may stop at any time, like waiting for the axe to fall. The MRI you had, in particular would have picked up anything serious so that is a comforting thought. You are certainly going to be alright, it does sound like this is thyroid related. As you will be having regular blood test for thyroxine levels, you will be quite safe and nothing terrible is going to happen to you. I do feel for you, hang on in there. Hope you get this before computer packs up again! Bess
    • Posted

Hello Bess

Thank you so much for your reply.

Goodness, what happened to you?

I think it's so nice that we can all support and reassure each other on here.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.