Small victory today!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just updating my recent post, last time I went the gp I was point blank refused surgery. Today was abit different. I basically decided to go head to head in a polite way. I printed off the guidelines from the NHS regarding surgery. I pointed out the PPI were not helping, dietry changes were not helping I have heartburn at night especially when I lie on my left hand side. Then I showed her the guidelines of the treatment options on the nhs website. It stated when PPI and dietry changes are not effecticve and a person does not want to take medication long term surgery is an option. So I asked her to explain to me why I cant have the operation? The gp then basically said do you want the surgery? I said I would like a conversation with a surgeron in relation to this. She made the referral. I was in total shock. The bloating dioherrah and constipation has been horrendous since the hernia and enough was enough and I portrayed that in there, if she would of refused I would of asked for a second opionion and said I fully exercising all my rights! But didnt even need to do that. My digestion is imparied to me I have no option, I want to ask the surgeon about success rates, will my diet return to normal after the surgery if it is successful. I believe I have had some breathing problems since the hernia dismissed as anxiety so will ask a few questions in relation to that. If I get the answers I need I will then ask to do the op. Lets see. My gp left with a parting message. Most people with a hiatus hernia live a symptom free life with medication, unfortnately it looks like it is not helping you. Good luck. Not sure what to make of that.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the surgery 4 months ago,off meds.

Still have problem with gas and can't eat may combos of food. Getting better all the time. I am 80 and understand it taking longer to heal.

Make sure u see a surgeon that has done many of these types of surgeries, if u don't there can be problems of them coming undone. The right diet helps heal you, important to follow it.

Best to you.

• Posted

I hope that you are successful in getting your surgery and that it helps.   

• Posted

hernia surgery is complex,  will you be having a repair with mesh, if so this can also  cause probems.  There are groups on facebook and twitter who are very knwledgeabe about mesh where you can read about the problms for yourself.  I hAVE HAD AN INCISIONAL hernia repaired with mesh nealy 2 years ago, my probems are minor but for some people they are major.it is worth doing your research and I endorse finding an experienced surgeon to do your repair.  Hernia repair surgery is not a walk in the park which is why your doctor said good luck, which is exacty what my GP said to me before my surgery.  All the very best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.