Smear test bad experience felt abuse it.

Posted , 5 users are following.

its normal that a nurse tell a patient take your trouser out lay in these bed get spatula inside the vagina goes out come back and open thing and star rubing the spatula inside plus pushing in forward she try 4 time could not handle nearly sit. so she took the thing out and she has a stick with a cotton full of blood. I was so fritten thought she destroy me inside as the spatula pick was blooded too. I ask her why was so much blood. she said from rubing you receive your results in 4 weeks your free to go.  

I was really shock because I have had about 6 smear test and never felt hurt or abuse neither saw any blood on the test. 

I'm quite concern with such tritment because she was kind of like if she had a sex toy while she had her hands on the spatula and start pushing and rubing it. 

Its any law to protect patient from this type of abuse? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My advice is go to the Practice and see and speak to the Senior Partner and report this immediately.      If no joy , tell them you will report to the police.   No this is not normal.
  • Posted

I got courage yesterday and I called the clinic. The receptionist told me the Doctor in charge will call me to see if this was normal. But was 5pm the Doctor didn't call. So I call again and another lady answer the phone she said Doctor x make his call between 7pm to 8pm so he will call you by them. 

I was at a meeting at 7 pm, got a mis call from private number which I did not answer. I think they think these isn't anything serious to care for.  

Thanks for reply.  my friend had her smear done in diferent clinic and she ask the nurse there too. if such action was a normal procedure and the nurse reply was not, that some time people get some blood, but not need to turn spatula more than once. 

• Posted

Are you in the UK.   If so get on to the General Medical Council and log a complaint to them.       People do make mistakes but this does seem a bit weired to me.
  • Posted

Hi, I went to the practise and ask for the Doctor, who say his the owner. They told me at first he call you didn't answer so, now we might tell him to call you later today. 

I said yes I saw a miss call at 8pm from aprivate number how could understand its from the Doctor. I say you know what I will actually report to the authorities better. therefore they inmediatelly call him and he call me at his office. He explained that he known the nurse for long time and that he believe she might had some problem on finding the cervix in me. He said if this hapen they normally put and push and turn the speculum inside a woman vagina even more than five time and that would make a woman bleed too. 

So he adsolutelly determine that was normall and he said am sorry honestelly if you felt that way like been abuse, it might has been because she didn't stop to tell you tha she has to do it that way. This the first complain I have about her. I will not ignore if anothere customer comes and tell me samething them I will start worrying. But really I reasure you she is good and she didn't do so in bad intention she just forgot to explain you before proceding after she found it dificult because you have not children can be more chalenging to rich servix. Sorry again and please don't feel bad about it this are normal procedures. 

Before I' left and I said hope its true and that not other woman feel same shame and confussion after smeart test its done similar way to my.

He said I will gether all my staff and make then aware, I will allow customer review on each of their services, because I know this very important.  

• Posted

Well I suppose it is a step in the right direction , but whose to say someone else has complained and he isnt owning up.   I am know that is rather synical but so is life.  Keep your options open and right down your thoughts so you dont forget anything.
  • Posted

Thanks, I already did so. plus I share my concern with other friend's whon actually did saw me very upset that day. Hope that by letting them know  abut it, would help another person there. 

Now feeling better. But am sure I would maybe avoid getting does test done there in future. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi Amey,

Sorry this happened to you. Ive also had a smear today and feel very violated afterwards. Do you mind if I ask where you were seen? xx

• Posted

My was outside Uk, located in Ireland. Sorry to hear that you experience something similar, its terrible the feeling after it. I think I would never do it again because I will be afraid. 
    • Posted

Hi Amey, thanks for replying. I agree with you - that will be my last time I ever have a smear - it was humiliating and degrading. Hopefully one day there will be a less 'invasive' procdure to test xx
  • Posted

This is abusive behavior on the part of that nurse. I would contact someone in charge and let them know what happened. If they don't respond then take it higher up. This kind of thing is illegal most places and is called sexual abuse. When ever an exam of this type takes place make sure that there is always two people in the room. The doctor and a nurse. This protects you from abuse. There are organizations that you can contact for help with dealing with abuse. Do an internet search in your area. 
    • Posted

Thank you Craig, I did talk to the owner and he said it wasn't something to worry. But I made it clear to him, that I felt like if was sexually abuse. That was the reason I was back to make him aware of it, that he could protect any other women from that nurse procedures.  

Is now quite few month ago, I feel like back to normal. Hopfully I wont have future consecuencies base on that test procedure. 

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear this - I have completely sympathy.

I have real trouble getting smears and previously would only attend a GP I trusted to understand my difficulties as the practice nurse doesn't - very heavy handed! I have a condition where my mussels contract and tighten and nothing is getting in - I have no control over this but the nurse doesn't understand. The pain is excruciating and I bleed to for days after as well as being in a lot of pain for days. I actually had my son by c-section because of this condition.

I had to get pre-cancerous cells treated at hospital 6 years ago (by male doctor) who was actually shouting at me to relax and let the speculum in - really helpful in such a situation with everything in full view and a doctor shouting in your face. Needless to say this has made the situation far worse now!

I now have to attend a clinic rather than the GP because that gives the option of putting me under anesthetic if necessary.

I have to go every 6 months - due there again on Wednesday to check on more pre-cancerous cells and may need laser treatment again 😦

What I would say is DO NOT stop going for your smear - it can save lives. I'm only 34 and this is my second treatment for pre-cancerous cells!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.