Smelly gas like sulphur and rotten eggs

Posted , 200 users are following.

Hi all. So embarrassed but don't know what else to do. I actually am getting seriously depressed as It Is so bad.

I have been getting really bloated and pass the most foul smelling gas ever, it stinks and lingers in the room. I'm having to air my bungalow every evening.

I eat relatively healthy, excercise regularly and am slim.

This has been going on solidly for 2 whole months. I have tried eating different things but i just keep getting this awful smell! Sometimes I feel like I'm going to shit myself!! I can't have people over and am scared to go out when I know I'll be in a small space. I gave up my job!!

I have had to do a stool sample, all clear. The doctors just say I have IBS. They gave me colofac (mebeverine) which did nothing! I don't know what the hell to do!!

PLEASE HELP

13 likes, 291 replies

291 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well I eat lots of different things, it seems to be mainly after a meal (spaghetti bolognaise, shepherd pie, curry) that I get the stinky gas. Should I eat little and often?? I don't know where to start in terms of cutting food out.I am not blocked up, I seem to pass stinky gas as soon as I've had a poo. They stink so much!! I don't feel female or human!! When I go to the gym sometimes I feel so odd and it's not comfortable to excercise! It's Preventing me from having a normal life as I'm so worried what my stomach will do.

• Posted

I get really bad intestine problems when I eat mash potato with milk and butter and rice and pasta and it's a horrible gas it makes me sick and am unable to go to work cause am bed bound I went to the doctor and he gave me movical it works for afew hours then its back I hate it I tried a healthy breakfast and it was gone for weeks then I had a Chinese bam sick again throwing up and poo it comes on to me fast 1 minute am laughing the next am in alot of pain does this sound familiar?
    • Posted

When I fisrt starting having serious stomach issues, sore rear end from too many no.2's and bad flatulance was also one of them. I was told (after a questionaire I completed by a Naturapath) that I had Celioeic disease. I didn't believe this initially until it went on the strict abstainance diet from bread, wheat and anything containing dairy, Gluten or Lactose. Gluten and Lactose are the two most difficult protiens to breakdown, some of us cannot break them down in our GUT, the protien kills the GUT lining, making us hungary, malnourished, tired, lathargic and also results in stinky farts, sore stomach symtoms etc. Initially it appears that everything you eat has some type of "Wheat or Gluten" in it. A lot do, however, a lot don't. Avoid the Wheat, bread, dairy, eggs and Lactose (cheese) and you may find within the space of a week you will feel better, eat better, be less tired and no more sore stomachs and no more smelly farts. As soon as you eat these foods, it all comes back! This usually takes about three days to clear and the GUT to heal, once back on the diet. If this is your problem you will not believe how easy it is to maintain a healthly GUT and it will benefit your body also. Hope this may provide some help and some relief.
    • Posted

I have just read this post. Your symptoms are so like mine. I had a CT scan last week and I'm booked in for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks. Someone has said I sound like I have lactose intolerance. Now wondering about gluten. I've been lactose free for 6 days and do feel a bit better. I have lost a lot of weight too. But cutting out food makes it difficult to put the weight back on. Did you have any problems with weight?
    • Posted

It could be lactose intolerance from the milk. test yourself by drinkinG a pint of SKIMMED milk ( it's got the most lactose of all!)

if your stomach starts bubbling and stuff then , like me , you can't digest lactose well.

Some dairy have less lactose in than others, I can eat loads of mature cheddar without problems but yoghurt I can eat very little.

I never used to be lactose intolerant I developed it recently. 

Now I know what make me used to be able to empty a room or an entire building! 

• Posted

Oh, so true. Have the same problem. But when I stop eating animal products the problem goes away. So, 3 months ago I turned vegan. Have had no problems since👍
    • Posted

Hi Jayne.  Apologize for the late question, but my symptoms are similar...Did you get any answers yet.  MAny thanks!

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul, there were many answers but most of them including my post were deleted. I have no idea why they deleted my message saying that turmeric worked really well for me when I experienced the same problem.  Here is a wikipedia link on Anti flatulents which mentions turmeric https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiflatulent. The US National Library of medicine has published research indicating that turmeric destroys the cell wall of pathogenic bacteria, here is the link. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4374920/

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Your previous post was not deleted, it is on page 4 of this discussion. The only posts that have been deleted from this discussion are from users trying to promote/sell products.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi, put a lightly heaped tablespoon of Turmeric and mix into small amoutn of water and drink, flatulence will stop very quickly. Do it once after waking and once before bed, more if you feel so. Its dealt with my awful system very quickyl and has for every other have reccomended it too.
    • Posted

Also get some really good acidopholous, not Holland and Barrat etc, somewhere like the Dolphin clinic
    • Posted

Hi jennyjames, just wondering if you are taking any meds, as some meds can do this , worse one for me was gabepentin , had to come off that, I was averaging about 2 -3 really smelly " eggy farts" a minute!

• Posted

Too much turmeric is no good for you either I ended up at the doctors with low blood pressure and dizzy spells since I've stopped using turmeric daily I haven't had the symptoms of dizziness

• Posted

I may have found also a connection to certain meats. I was a vegetarian but my doctor said I needed more protein so I reintroduced salmon and tuna. Thats when the fun started. The smell is foul. Aleays at night.

I would say milk or cream could also be an offender. My husband gas been buying Ben and Jerrys lately. Ive sneaked a few bites in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.