Smoking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi as you know I'm due a hip replacement very soon I know its bad but I smoke should I give up before op are there more dangers

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

If you could that would really benefit you. It's very difficult I know but it would really improve your general health too.  Aside from obvious problems with anaesthetic etc, it would be good to be in the best possible position to recover from surgery.  Ask your surgery about cessation sessions.  Good luck 
  • Posted

I suppose its always safer and healthier not to smoke. If you smoke a lot would it be stressful to give up? I am a real anti smoker but I appreciate how hard it can be to stop.

Good luck with your decision

Take care

Kate

• Posted

Definitely give up I am not a smoker but do suffer with asthma which when I had my hip op last week kept me in recovery a bit longer
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa:

I have posted on this issue, and am still waiting for definitive answers.  I have smoked for about 50 years.  However, I did not smoke every day.  I have a note in my Filofax that I stopped on July 1.  Howwever, events drove me back to it for a while.  I do not remember when I bought my last pack.  Must be at least two months, if not more.  I have noticed an improvement in my lung function.

I asked a neighbour who had been a smoker and had the op, and he said that he had to stop for a month prior to the op.  I don't know how long his history was, or how many, but I fugure that nost people smoked abut 20 a day.  My own smoking habit was a response to stress, but the triggers, of course, were there, and those are the ones that I try to avoid.

In short, I would quit asap.  I have been using the E cigarettes.  They contain nicotine, which is the harmful substance, and they do ot contain tar or carbon monoxide.  I am not necessarily recommending or suggesting this option, just that this is what I am doing.  The only time I smoke them, now is with my coffee, mid morning, or if I am on a particularly demanding and stressful phone call or social situation.

Hope this is of help,

Susie

• Posted

Please do give up Vanessa, I know as an ex smoker it's easier said than done.

Start one morning and say to yourself 'today I'm not going to smoke' don't try telling yourself that you are giving up for ever; that would be too much pressure on you. Each morning you wake up say the same thing to yourself, eventually it will be a week and then two, and then three weeks that you have not smoked!

When I gave up finally after giving up many times before I used this method and it worked, for me anyway. Good luck.

Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronica:

I have just responded to Vannessa, too.  Can you tell me how long you smoked, how long is it since you smoked, and how many per day?  Since you stopped, have you noticed an improvement in lung function?  

Also, did you have a chest Xray?  Was the op performed under an epidural or a General?

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hello Susie,

I had the spinal with sedation.

I smoked from age16-26, 15-20 a day. Then when I found out that I was pregnant with my first child I stopped, and I didn't smoke for 12 years after that, then it slowly started up, just a couple at first and then more.

Then when I reached age 40 I decided I had to stop again. I told my self that I would not smoke today each morning until it no longer had a hold over me. I'm now 61, 17 days post op, RTHR, feeling great.

Good luck.

Veronica

• Posted

It can only help your recovery.

I know that losing weight brought down my cholesterol and blood sugar levels from 'ok' to 'very good'.  Apparently they both contribute to faster wound healing.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Vanessa, I actually gave up smoking two years ago. I had my LTHR in May this year. I had patches for about three weeks when I gave up, you can gget them through your GP. As an incentive I did and still do put what I spent a month in a seperate bank account for treats for myself. So far I have bought myself a super duper computer and it pays for new clothes and anything else I want/ned without touching my pension. Its lovely to see the money grow too.

Give up if you can it will do you good. oh and by the way I smoked for 50 years too.  Love Gill xx

• Posted

Wow well done gill 50years is a long time.. I have tried so many times lasted a few weeks then got back on it:-( but definitely going to give it a good go this time ... Time forcpatches I think x
    • Posted

Hi Gill:

I started this discussion as I was concerned about the impact smoking would have on the outcome of the surgery, and which method the surgeon would for.  I smokef for about 50 years, too.  I gave up in July, but then events that were unforseen, put me back on them, for a while.  I haven't smoked for about two months, give or take, and probably longer, going back to July.  How long ago did you stop, and were you given a chest exray?

I have noticd a difference in lung function and general well being.  I didn't smoke every day, and was not a "20  fags" a day type smoker.  My smoking was stress related.

all the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Vanessa:

I have been using the E cigarettes.  10 Motives is a good one, and I used to use the basic non-menthol.  But, I tried the mentholated ones, and found them to be better.  Much cheaper than the good old fags!  I am using three, but two should be fine, as one can be recharging whilst the other is in use.

Just a suggestion.  They contain only nicotine, and not tar and carbonmon oxide.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

I gave up about 15 months before my op, yes I had a chest x-ray before surgery and yes I feel so much better without them. I was never a 20 a day smoker either. xx
  • Posted

Wishing you a successful surgery smile I'm not a smoker so my input is more from reading research and talking with a gal who was asked to stop smoking before spinal surgery. The science seems to indicate smoking interferes with healing possibly by interfering with the circulation needed for wound healing. Research is starting to parse risk by #packs/day etc but I don't recall if that data is in yet. If you can quit, it's likely beneficial to the healing process. If you're interested in the studies they should be at the very top of google results before webpage results. wellness2u!
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa:

I smoked for about 50 years, although not every day, and was not a pack a day smoker.  Suspecting that I would need surgery, I decided that it was time to give up and invested in E cigarettes.  They contain only nicotine, and a couple of other chemicals.  What they do not contain is tar and carbon monoxide.  The only time I smoke now, is with my coffee in the morning, Es, of course.

Anaesthetists are concerned about smokers and General Anaesthetic, I believe, and a smoker takes longer to heal, as well.

I have have stoped drinking alcohol in any form, as I want to be as squeaky clean as possible to enhance my chances of a quick recovery and a healthier lifestyle.  It's bad enough that I cannot walk any distance at all, least of keep standing up for any length of time, without pain.

A man that walks past me with his dogs had a THR, and I asked him if he had been a smoker, he said he was, and had been asked not to smoke for about a month pre op.

If you cn bring yourself to do it, I would quit asap.  The Es are very helpful, but they ahve not been around long enough to determine whether or not they have any long term side effects.  They are certainly a better alternative to tobacco, but best to quit totally with the help of the Es.  

Contemplating surgery without the "crutch" of a good old "fag" is not easy, but I have found that having made the decision and switching to the Es, has got me through the worse stages, and it fills the "hand to mouth" void, which is where the habit is so hard to break.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Susie

• Posted

Susie,

So right, the better shape you are in before the operation, the faster you recover.   I spent 18 months slimming down by 70 pounds, and like you, abstained from alcohol before 'THR Day'.

It will be lovely however to open a nice bottle of beer when I am free of the medication and share a really good bottle of wine with my wife at Christmas biggrin

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.