Sneezing after laparotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.

i am having surgery next week to remove 2 large cysts and am having a hysterectomy at the same time :-(. Due to size of cysts I am having an abdominal incision.

my Hayfever is terrible at the moment and I can't stop sneezing.just wondered how others have coped after having abdominal surgery and sneezing.  Worried I will burst my stitches. 

Any ideas.

thanks 

julie 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie

I had a vertical laparotomy 4 weeks ago. 2 days after my op I was very sick and that hurt quite a bit but wasn't unbearable. But after that I didn't dare sneeze so every time I needed to sneeze for the first 2 weeks I pinched my nose until the urge went away and then tried to lightly blow it after.

After a couple of weeks sneezing doesn't hurt at all so I'm guessing after a week it's sore but not majorly painful.

Maybe the gp can give you some strong antihistamines to help you a little.

Best of luck xx

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I am now 5 weeks post surgery, I had a vertical laparotomy which included removal of a large cyst and one ovary

I can tell you sneezing and coughing are no fun after surgery. Even laughing initially hurts after the op. Try have a pillow nearby to hold to your stomach and a drink for when you cough. As for sneezing try pinching your nose to stop it but if that doesn't work keep your pillow close to your stomach. At 5 weeks it's eased a lot now

I spent the day after my surgery throwing up and my stitches remained intact so you should be fine. If you're worried speak to your consultant before I'm sure they'll have some advice

Sue x

• Posted

Hi Julie, I am 11 days post op but had keyhole surgery. I have been sneezing, laughing and coughing and found the best way to deal with all three is to hold your abdomin. My family thinks this is hilarious and I am sure they are being comical on purpose!! Please don't worry too much and I wish you the best of luck with your op. Deborah
  • Posted

Thanks Ladies. A pillow it is then ;-)

Julie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.