Snow and new hip....

Posted , 10 users are following.

To celebrate my first year anniversary of my new hip I was considering taking my children to Lapland to see Father Christmas, but for obvious reasons I feel a little worried about the snow. Can anyone share their experiences, and tell me if this is completely out of the question or shall I go for it and take my children, it is my dream to take them. At some point I will need the left hip (and said children will be too old to believe in any of the magic) Any advice would be gratefully received. Love to all, hope you are all doing well! smile

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Rose,   If you wear the correct foot wear you should be fine.   Having skied for many years the snow is not slippery if you are in anti slip shoes, boots... 

You only live once and you cannot stop doing things... go for it just make sure you have the right footwear. 

• Posted

Rose there is no need to worry about your new hip.

A matter of weeks after my new hip I fell off my mountain bike on the road.

I felt nothing and since then I have fallen off in the snow, in mud and on gravel.

I got off my mtb once in the snow/ice and was doing the splits until I decided to voluntarily fall on my ar5e instead

The new joint is immensely strong, go off and enjoy yourself.

• Posted

hi rose, 

go for it !!!!!  falling, slipping, sliding, stumbling, tripping etc. are all part of life anyway ... 

have fun preparing your trip ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Joining the chorus! Love the idea and I bet it will be even more wondrous in real life. Have a super time and please - a little report on it.

Enjoy!

• Posted

Hey Rose

I totally get where you are coming from but get the proper footwear and get going girl while the kids think its magical. Don't let or new hip hold you back just be careful and you will be fine. I have 2 new hips and nearly 6 weeks into a knew knee and soon we are coming into winter in scotland its just as dangerous. Go enjoy every minute of it. Nice to hear you are doing great.

Have fun

Laura x

• Posted

Definitely go! Just wear suitable footwear. I'm nearly 10 weeks post op, and I've just booked my Easter skiing trip, with my surgeon's blessing. Have a great time!

• Posted

Hi Rose 

Just popped on to the forum as I do from time to time and saw your post. Cant believe its nearly a year since our hip ops and I remember your lovely posts. The forum was my lifeline during both my hip operations and helped me so much, there was always someone there to share your highs and lows  with as well as loads of helpful advice and informatio, plus lots of laughs which definitely helped.

Anyway it sounds as if you are doing really well and I wanted to add my voice to what has already been said. Go for it! Sounds like a wonderful idea and as long as you get some good strong snow boots you will be fine. Just think of all the wonderful memories you and the children will bring back with you.

Love

Linnet 😀 xx

ps when you see 🎅 please could you drop a hint that I would love a new ipad for Christmas......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.