So confused!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So a few months ago I was having a whole host of symptoms from top to bottom literally!  Long story short went to see GI, had stool sample done which showed calproceten level of 300+ got told more than likely have inflammatory bowel disease.  Things have calmed down since and had a repeat stool sample which is completely normal at 21 - surely if I had IBD this would be raised even when in remission?  

Anyone got any ideas on what this could be?  My bottom end is pretty much normal now but am just suffering from occasional acid reflux, lightheadedness, tightness in chest and weird spasms in chest...am so confused as to what it could be.  Heart tests done and all normal (ecg, halter monitor)

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat been scoped both ends and nothing just done my repeat stool sample and in think it will come back normal now as I've been almost symptom free.  Did they do a microbial stool sample alongside the calprotectin to make sure it wasn't a bug? From what I've read the only things that cause it are: IBD, gut bugs and chest infections.  The IBD can be things like crohns ulcerative colitis.  Did they take biopsy while they were in there as if it's in remission it can only be viewed at a microscopic level. Again this is what I've read so might be completely wrong. I have relied on my GP sorting me out as the consultants due to not finding anything are scratching their heads and "sitting on the fence" which doesn't help the arthritis I seem to now have plus gut problems. I take omeprazole and Naproxine while I wait for them to decide.
    • Posted

Naproxine is really bad for your guts and can cause inflammation.
  • Posted

Also you say chest problems, have you been checked for thyroid problems, know its random but mine packed in last year they put me on too much medication and my chest started hurting and I got diohrea which is over active thyroid. I doubt that would cause high calprotectin though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.