So fed up! :-(

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, A couple of months ago, I experienced what can only have been a sudden overactive bladder episode. Had to walk about 3 minutes to nearest loo in town centre. Felt like 300 miles. Really bad pain in my bladder. Could barely put one foot in front of the other. Was shaking and feeling sick in fear of wetting myself in the town centre - I'm 59 by the way. How I got to the ladies before I had an accident I will never know but it left me badly shaken up all the same. That was 20th July.

Since then I've been terrified of having another OAB episode. I've had milder episodes. Perhaps they weren't as bad because I was nearer a toilet at the time. But it still requires me to get to the loo at the speed of Concorde.

So now I'm nervous of going anywhere where I don't know where the toilets are. And I get stressed before I go anywhere too.

As well as the OAB episodes, I also get times when I can hardly wee at all, both stress related I think. I noticed last Friday from about 12 noon till about 11am on Saturday morning, I could only do small wees. I think that was because of the tension surrounding having a weekend away. I wasn't great all weekend either.

Now I'm home - got home 2.30pm yesterday, I find im back to hardly weeing again. I think this is because I'm fretting about my weekend with the bladder problem and still tense about it all.

It was only a week or so ago, before the weekend away, that I stayed at home all week because none of my friends were available and nothing to go into town for either. I noticed that my urination was completely normal all week - till the Friday afternoon anyway.

So what I'm saying is I can either hardly urinate at all, or I'm getting OAB episodes (I got one in the car on Saturday morning going down the A59) or I find I need to go too often, like yesterday afternoon on my way back from Skipton.

Trouble with not being able to wee hardly at all is I'm scared the amount of liquid in my bladder, till I finally empty it, will damage it, or cause it to give me an OAB episode eventually.

So I'm quite upset really. I'm being seen by the bladder nurse. But I'm going to have to make her see that this problem is mostly psychological since my bladder works normally when I'm not stressing about it. I think that episode in town really shook me up and impacted on me psychologically.

Also, like today, so far I've drank almost a litre but daren't drink much more incase it damages my bladder with not weeing normally and "Retaining" almost everything I drink.

Anyone experienced or experiencing anything like this?

Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

• Posted

I've had some of the same symptoms as you.    I sometimes get a "feeling" or "pressure" I think it is my bladder muscle.    I think I involuntarily tighten it when stressed.    Sometimes I can "go" normally, other times it is a bit trickly.    I find if I bend over slightly the urine comes out more easily.     When I'm really busy I tend to forget about it but I don't deny I still like to know that I will be able to find a toilet when I want one.

You will probably be sent for an ultrasound to see if you are "eliminating" all the urine in your bladder or retaining some after you have gone to the toilet.   It's no big deal.  You drink a lot, the ultrasound goes over your tummy and measures what is in your bladder, you then run to toilet and come  back and the ultrasound measures what is left, if any.     Even though I had feelings of needing to go when I didn't need to go, I was told I was fully emptying my bladder which was a relief.  They did find a fibroid in womb (but what woman doesn't have a fibroid) and that might be pressing on my bladder sometimes.

I was put on overactive bladder medicine but it did nothing for me so I was taken off it.     I have definitely improved, but funnily enough now as i'm writing this I can feel my bladder muscle quite tight.   This will be because i'm thinking about it because I was fine earlier.

I used to dread going to toilet but I've just remembered I used to sit on toilet and tell myself to relax, it will come out and blow air out my mouth.    It is hard to tighten your muscles if you are blowing out.     How strange that now sounds to me as I know now I can go.   

I think there is a lot of hope you will get much better.  I'd say i'm about 90% normal now which is great and i'm very happy with that and i'm not taking any medication.

Good luck,hope you get on ok.

• Posted

HI Vicki, Thank you for your reply to my message. I have just typed out a long reply to you, only to find the message wouldn't post so I'm just going to hope this short one will send, then try again with a longer one tomorrow. Shirley

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Will now try again. We sound similar in as much that we involuntarily tighten our bladder muscles when stressed. If it's not my bladder muscles it's the sphincter that allows urine to flow through or something. I was well stressed yesterday about it. Hardly peed all day. Ended up ringing the doctor for reassurance. Also ended up emptying my bladder at 6.30am and 8.15am so a lot of urine in my bladder till the early hours and I was scared it would damage my bladder but Doc said I could hold about 2 litres without damaging it! Was surprised by this. Yes I am better on days I can forget about it too. Will see if this posts and continue after lunch.

• Posted

Glad the last message posted. Yes I've had my bladder scanned at the Bladder Clinic. She said I was emptying my bladder so that was a relief to me too. I know the scans you are talking about though and I must admit that I have felt like I wanted to pee when it wasn't necessary either. I don't think I've got any fibroids.

Glad things are improving for you re your overactive bladder. Knowing you were taken off the medication because it didn't help you, what do you put your improvement down to? Yes my "Muscle" tightens up when I think about it or get stressed about it too.

That is a good tip about sitting on the toilet and blowing air out. As you say, it's hard to tighten muscles if you are blowing out isn't it.

Wonderful to know you are 90% better and you are not taking any medication. And thank you for saying there is a lot of hope that I will get much better. How long did you suffer before you saw an improvement?

Thanks again for your message.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley

I started with this "problem"  in March.   I changed my diet drastically to eat very plain and healthily and drink only water or water with lemon, nettle tea, water with some root ginger in it.    It was a slow process to get better.    After a few months I started to introduce a little rubbish food e.g. chocolate and ice-cream and I was ok.  By August I had really improved.

Very interestingly, i've been through a lot of stress the past few weeks and i've returned to eating rubbish. I've also taken fizzy drinks again.   My problem is back.   I think it is my "detrusor" muscle (to give it, its posh name) that I tighten up without meaning to.    Like before, I can feel it quite tight just now because i'm thinking about it.

I can only speak for myself,but I find if I drink a mug of warm water with a squeezed lemon in it, the next time I go to the toilet, it comes out easily and the flow is good.    I had a can of fizzy orange earlier today and i'm finding going to the toilet difficult.  I know it doesn't sound logical but I think it is because lemons are alkaline and  they are good for the urinary tract.

The proof in my case will be if I can turn this around again by eating and drinking healthily and if I can get the stress cut down.    Stress is really hard because usually it is caused by things that happen that are out of our control.   I don't understand my problem and the hospital couldn't give me an explanation.

I'm glad your ultrasound result was good.   We are all different.

One day maybe you could try only taking the following drinks - water with half a lemon squeezed in it, nettle tea, mug of hot water with some basil leaves in it.   When I do that I find it  much easier to go to toilet.     

I hope you get better.   Sorry I can't give a precise do such and such and you will be fine.   It was a massive case of trial and error to get me better and as I said - I have taken a step back the past week so i'm not cured.

I really hope you get some improvement but unfortunately it does seem to be a slow process.

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Just a quick one before I go to bed to say thanks for your message. Also you mention your detrusor muscle. That's the one I meant when I mentioned my sphincter muscle "Or something" in my earlier message but I forgot the name of it - the detrusor muscle. I think mine definitely tenses up of its own accord when I'm tense or stressed and theres been a lot of stress in my life during the last couple of years. Anyway I will finish this message tomorrow. Shirley

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Back again. So your problem started in March. Mine started 2 years ago with Vaginal Atrophy. Then I told my doctor I thought it was Interstitial Cystitis but she was having non of it. Then I was having problems wanting to wee all the time. But things changed after my hip replacement at end of March when I found I could hardly wee at all during the day but my bladder emptied in the early hours when I was relaxed. Then it changed when I had an over active bladder episode in town that scared me to death. Since then I've varied between not being able to wee hardly at all to wanting to wee too often and also getting strong urges when there are no obvious loos near by.

You did really well to change your diet like that but I'm sorry your problem is back when you were much better in August. I've had a lot of stress in recent years. And I'm an emotional eater. I'm not surprised you have turned back to junk though. I do it all the time and I know I'm stressed. Yes I think my detrusor muscle has a lot to answer for too.

I made an interesting discovery last night. I wasn't emptying my bladder all day yesterday either. Now I'm not one to lay on the sofa much but I did last night and I'd managed to urinate properly within a couple of hours as a result. So I know how to get my bladder to empty before bed time.

I will also try drinking warm water with a squeezed lemon in it and see if that helps too. Your explanation is probably right.

I bet you can turn it around again by eating and drinking healthily and lowering your stress levels. And yes stress is one of the hardest things ever to deal with as Ive found out to my cost over the years . My stress comes from my 22 year olds not being in work and losing my mum last year, also hubby retiring 6 months ago.

Yes thanks Vicki my scan was good which was a relief given I wasn't peeing properly during the day but I was drinking 1.5 litres and I was scared what would happen as a result of holding it till the early hours of the next day when I was relaxed enough to be able to empty my bladder properly.

I will definitely try those drinks you mentioned. Thanks for those ideas.

I hope you get better too Vicki. I can understand it's a slow process, trial and error, but I'm sure that whilst this is a slow process, we will both be ok in the end. :-)

• Posted

Hip replacement was at end of April.
    • Posted

You have had a terrible time, i'm not surprised you are stressed.   I too thought I had interstitial cystitis at first because it was painful to urinate and no infection was showing.   Now I think I had a UTI or an irritated/inflamed bladder and taking a bland diet let it heal.     I also think stress has a lot to do with it and the Doctor did agree.

Now when i'm out I always ensure I visit the loo when I see one.   It's been suggested I could have a kidney stone but none showed up in my ultrasound. Maybe I have a very small one but ive been told it is too soon to have another ultrasound because it would just show the same result. As long as i'm not in pain and managing to go to toilet i'm accepting i've changed.   At one point I hated going to the toilet in case I couldn't go.    Fortunately the drinks I mentioned helped that tremendously but I know that wont be the the same for everyone.

I really hope you see improvement soon.   I've been told countless times to stop worrying about things that might not happen, but that is so difficult.    

Take care

• Posted

Thanks Vicki, It's certainly not been easy though there are people a lot worse off than me of course.

I was convinced about the IC too but no the doc said I've not got it. There is an IC support forum on Facebook that I joined at the time. People are on there with other bladder problems too. So I go there once or twice a week. Definitely helps to know I'm not on my own with these problems. Agree totally about stress being a lot to do with it. It's funny I never get any sym

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Sorry. I pressed "Reply" too soon by mistake.

I was saying it's strange how I never get any urgency or frequency symptoms during the middle of the night when Im totally relaxed in bed. My urination doesn't grind to a virtual halt either. It's like things (Urination wise anyway) come back to normal when I'm totally relaxed. It's this fact that leads me to think it's largely a stress issue during the day when I leave the house etc.

Yes I always go to the loo too when I see one and at the advice of the bladder nurse I wear Tena Pants too, but only when I leave the house. She thinks that the pants may give me confidence, along with pelvic floor exercises.

Glad the kidney stone isn't giving you any pain. Must admit I've dreaded going to the loo too for the same reason. Frustrates me to death when nothing happens (Or very little anyway) because as I've said before, I'm scared of retaining all that liquid, even if it is only for several hours. Also scared it will trigger an overactive bladder episode. I must try the drinks you mention and see if they make any difference.

Yes I've been told to stop worrying too, husband thinks I'm over reacting! But it's not easy to forget something that scares us to death is it - the OAB episode in town that day in my case. That was the start of my urination problems.

How much do you drink on an average day? I drink 1500ml or 1400ml. I asked the Doc the other day how much a bladder could hold without it being damaged and he said 2000ml! I was surprised with that. Hubby says your bladder is like a balloon that stretches. I realise that but I'm still surprised it will hold 2 litres!

Shirley

:-)

• Posted

I've been really busy this week-end and interestingly it has made me think less about going to the toilet and I think i've been holding on for much longer before I go.   

When I go shopping I do take advantage of using a particular toilet.   This takes some of the stress away because I know i've been.  Some people have bladder weakness but i'm the opposite.   My muscle is tight caused by me involuntarily clenching it.      

I don't know how much i'm drinking a day.   When this first started I used to take note of every drink and every food I ate but now I can almost do what I want as long as I take alkaline type drinks.   As we all know everyone is different but they definitely increase my flow.    

I hope my experience can give hope to others.  It's so worrying when something goes wrong with your body.   I couldn't undestand why one minute I was fine then for the next  6 months I had problems.  For me changing my diet helped but I am not cured.    I do still feel pressure sometimes and my flow can be slow.  I'm just grateful i'm not in pain.  I can live with the symptoms I have now whereas earlier in the year it was very difficult.

Take care and I really hope your health improves soon.

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Good to hear about your busy weekend and thinking less about going to the bathroom. Ive just been to get my volunteer position back at the hospital shop. Im hoping this will result in me being more relaxed too and not worrying about my bladder problem so much.

Yes I always go to the ladies too when I go shopping. I agree it does take some of the stress away Though my bladder nurse tells me not to go "Just in case". I feel like I'm involuntary clenching my detrusor muscle too but only when I'm really worried, tense and uptight like I was over the weekend at home. When I go out I find I want to go, especially where i can't see any obvious loos and then my anxiety escalates and makes things worse. So the effects of my anxiety either result in hardly being able to pee and have very little urge to the opposite!

Must remember the alkaline drinks to help my flow. I drink 2 cups of decaff tea in the morning then 500ml of Barley Water squash in the afternoon and 2 hot drinks in the evening. Sometimes a bit more. Sometimes a bit less.

Yes everyone is different. Very worrying when our bodies go wrong. I'm glad you're not in pain and glad changing your diet helped.

I was so worried over the weekend that I rang the surgery and asked them to ring me back. So Doc rang within 10 mins. He agrees my problem is anxiety resulting from the OAB episode in town that day. However to be safe, he's arranged for a bladder ultrasound to check I'm emptying my bladder properly before anything else happens. Not looking forward to drinking a lot in one go though. Dread it triggering an OAB episode or not being able to go to loo for ages!

Then yesterday I got another appointment through from Bladder Clinic. So I think nurse at Bladder Clinic will be surprised that I've been scanned at hospital by the time I see her two weeks today.

As it happens I've not been as tense about the condition today and feel better in myself emotionally speaking too. So I do feel a bit better.

Take care

Shirley

• Posted

We seem to have very similar symptoms.  I am sure stress is a major contributor, but I think there is "something" else involved too.  

After drinking so much for the ultrasound I got very painful heartburn/indigestion.   On the way home I had to stop and buy indigestion tablets.    Within 5 minutes of taking them I was fine again.  If this happens to you keep what I said in mind. You must let me know how you get on.

You should try the alkaline drinks.   I don't find water has much effect on my flow, but if I take an alkaline drink my urine flow really increases and comes out as strongly as it used to before I took this "condition" whatever  this condition is.

I'm sure working at the hospital shop will help.   You will be so busy helping other people you will probably not have time to think about what you body is up to!   It's such a difficult subject.   We are not deliberately thinking about it.  Its completely involuntary.

Take care, hope you keep improving.

• Posted

Yes we seem to have similar symptoms don't we. Yes stress and being tense and anxious is a major factor. I've been thinking my situation through a bit more and going to the day I had the OAB episode. It may have been my own fault! Bearing in mind that since my hip replacement, the feelings in my bladder are weakened a lot. That Wednesda morning I drank much more than usual because Doctor said I wasn't drinking enough and also it was one of the hottest days of the year. But my urge feeling wasn't there. I had drank 1.5 litres by lunchtime and that is a lot for me.Had a wee before I went down to the bank and thought nothing of it till I got major pain and urge to wee that was overwhelming. So I'm thinking my urge feeling didn't kick in till my bladder was "Too full". Since then I've been struggling with urination and all this. I'm now booked in for a bladder scan on Wednesday morning at 11am 20 mins drive away. Got to drink 1.5 litres. Scared of having an accident either on the way there in the car or at the hospital. Will be glad when it's over and done with. Will see if I end up with the heartburn/indigestion like you did. And yes I will let you know how I get on. Yes alkaline drinks are a good idea. Interestingly I layed on the sofa again last night and managed three pees by 9pm. So that shows its about relaxation etc. The more relaxed I am, the better things work.

Yes I think the hospital shop will help too. Anything to get my mind off this problem. Yes a really difficult problem. We aren't thinking about it deliberately. It is totally unintentional isn't it. At least by Wednesday I should know, or they will, if there is anything wrong with my bladder or if I'm retaining etc. It does feel that way when I hardly pee during the day. But then my bladder empties as normal in the early hours.

Hope you are Ok today and having a decent day.

• Posted

Yes there is part of your problem that is different to mine.  I fully understand it must have been quite traumatic when you are out doing your "stuff" and that happened.   Also i've never had a hip operation and surely that must have some bearing on your symptoms.

You are so right.   We are not thinking about it deliberately.   What surprises me is that so many people have similar symptoms (ok there are variations) but what I find very annoying is we all go for tests thinking that will resolve the problem but for a lot of people the tests don't give an answer and basically you are left to try and work things out for yourself.

I cant explain why at one point I had pains on my left side, right side, my flank at the back and both sides of my groin area. It is all guesswork. I never got a proper diagnosis.     I'm just glad that after 6 months most of the pains have disappeared. It could be through changing my diet,   I can't say for sure and I know it wouldn't work for everyone.   

I can only presume I had a UTI, though blood and urine tests all negative, my bladder got irritated and sore and because I sort of followed a diet for interstitial cystitis it healed.   But if I had had interstitial cystitis it would not have healed and I would still be sore when I went to the toilet and thankfully i'm not sore any more and I have been eating and drinking "rubbish" e..g chocolate, and one or two fizzy drinks without any bad effect.

Let me know how you get on at your ultrasound and when you will get your result.   

x

• Posted

Hi Vicki, Yes very traumatic. I didn't actually wet myself and how I managed not to, I will never know. But it's impacted on me psychologically, no doubt about and and I've been scared of having an accident ever since. Yes I think the hip operation does have a bearing on my symptoms in as much that since then, unless it's urgent, my urge to wee is much weaker. I've had 3 drinks so far today so 750ml altogether and I have barely no urge feelings. So tense about it that im sure I'm tightening my detrusor muscle or sphincter and its stopping me weeing properly when I do go to the bathroom. Unless it's in the early hours of course.

Yes I bet this is what happens when I go for the scan next week. I bet there are no answers and i have to work things out for myself.

I'm glad all your pains disappeared too. Yes it could be through changing your diet though as you say, it wouldn't work for everyone would it.

Oh yes UTI's are a pain arent they. It's interesting that you followed an IC based diet and your bladder got better. I know that soreness on having a wee with a UTI. Dreadful. Glad you've not got it now and have been able to eat chocolate etc.

Don't know how to go about having the Ultrasound.

It's a 20 minute drive to the hospital and I really don't fancy driving 20 minutes with possible queues when my bladder is full. Appointment is at 11am for scan. They said I'd to drink 1.5 pints between 9am and 10am. I'm wondering if it would be easier to go up there earlier, say drink half a pint before I go then drink the other pint when I get there as there will be plenty of loos if I get into trouble. Only thing then would be i wouldn't fancy sitting around a waiting room for a couple of hours and also it's possible that because of my tension/anxiety I may not be able to empty my bladder after the scan anyway! So don't know what to do for the best really.

Will keep you posted.

• Posted

I used to measure everything and write down what I ate and drank. Its a no win situation.    It meant I was thinking about it every minute of the day which could have made it worse, but on the other hand it helped to show me what foods/drinks could be doing to my body.   I kept this up until I felt better and then I stopped taking notes.     It was very time consuming.

When I went to hospital I drank tons and tons over 2 and a half litres and I still didn't need to go.   Probably stress.   Eventually I did need  and had the scan.   When I went to toilet I told myself to calm down, leaned forward and I was able to go.   I waited a minute then emptied more out.   Another 30 seconds the more again until I felt i'd emptied fully.   Then I went   back to get measured.    It was about half an hour later on way home I got severe pains in chest. Fortunately the indigestion tablets cleared it.

The nurse kept coming through to waiting room and asking if anyone was ready.   In our case once you were ready you got taken.

I hope you get on ok.   Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Must admit that since Saturday I've been taking notes of my fluid In take and output and the times I drank and peed. Did it because I hardly seemed to pee all day Friday, or through the early hours either. So was worried about it. If nothing else my notes are showing me that I'm peeing more than i thought I was. Yesterday was a bit slow with 350ml at 8am then only trickles at 12 noon and1pm and 100 ml at 4pm, 150ml at 6pm, 300ml at 9pm and 100ml at 10pm before I went to bed. Looking at it, probably my peeing starting off so slow yesterday because I didn't have much fluid intake. 250ml at 8.30am , 150ml at 11.15am, and 250ml juice at 2pm. No more to drink till 4pm.

2.5 Litres is an awful lot of liquid to hold inside you. I have managed just over a litres before today and I thought even that was a lot. What did they say when they scanned you. Your bladder must have been really stretched. I've been told to drink 1.5. Pints before the scan. Think I will drive up there early and drink it whilst I'm waiting as there will be loos around if need be. Think I will need to have it all down me at least an hour before the scan though. Glad you were able to go to the loo afterwards anyway. Glad you got rid of the chest pains too with the tablets.

Will be glad when I'm on my way home from the hospital tomorrow with an empty bladder, thats if I can empty it of course. Don't know what will happen if I can't. I know it will empty later in the day though. But that's no good if they are waiting to scan me is it.

Anyway I will get back to you tomorrow when I get back home.

• Posted

I think I was so scared I didn't feel as if I needed.   The other ladies seemed the same.   Nurse kept asking "who is ready, who needs to go" and we all shook our heads  and went back to the water fountain.   The way my muscle tightens I wasn't sure if I would be able to go under such stress.  I said so to the Nurse, but I was actually ok.    

It is a hard decision as to when you drink.  You don't want to have to go to the toilet before your scan because then your bladder will empty and you lose the hard work you have already done by drinking and need to start again.   I was drinking from 500m water bottles that was how I measured my intake.

Try and remember to take a deep breath then blow out, lean forward and say to yourself  "I can go, cos I go at other times"  To think of all the years I used to go to toilet without a second thought.   

This time tomorrow it will all be over.  Whenever I go somewhere horrible I always think by  4pm(or whatever time) i'll be back home and it will all be over.

Lots and lots of luck

xxxxxxx

• Posted

Morning. Vicki, Here I am with my first half pint of water. Yes that's what I'm bothered about, feeling so scared that I can't go to the loo after the full bladder scan or feeling so scared before it that im forced to empty my bladder and as you say, undo all the hard work and have to start again. I really don't want that to happen. I'm drinking 250ml bottles which are of course half pints. So I've to drink three of those.

So yes if it comes to not being able to go after the scan I will try doing what you suggest.

Yes I generally do the same if I have something unpleasant to do, tell myself it will all be over by such a time.

I just hope that if they do manage to scan me, that they find nothing wrong.

It's only 8.25am now. Scan not till 11am. Nearly drank half of my first bottle already. Will slow down a bit I think. If I'm heading up to hospital at 10am, I'll drink it at about 9.30. See if I can drink half of the 1.5 pints before I get to the hospital then drink the rest when I get there.

Thanks for chats.

Back later.

• Posted

It is 11.20am.   I am thinking of  you in the hospital.    Soon be over and home.

xxx

• Posted

Thanks for thinking of me Vicki. Got home about 11.45am.

Drank half the liquid before I set off. Wanted to wee before I even got in the car. So I drove for 20/25 minutes wanting to wee. Got there exactly 10.30am. Was in waiting room a while drinking the rest of the water. Stood up all the time as there was less discomfort that way. Was nearly crying but managed to hold it back. Then nurse called for me a few minutes early. Told her I didn't know if I could let her scan me or not but she did it in two minutes, said all was ok, then I flew to the loo!! And much to my surprise I had a normal wee!! So she scanned me with an empty bladder and said all seemed ok again. Nothing sinister showing up. Bladder emptying properly. Then I told her how I had days when my bladder didn't empty all day and my wees amounted to nothing. But she wasn't a Urologist so I just told her it was all probably mostly psychological. I went soon after that. Can't believe I've done it. I've been apprehensive all week. Next stop Bladder Nurse and Doc next week. Thanks for your support. Shirl

• Posted

I'm so glad there is nothing sinister.   That is great news.    Of course it does now leave you unsure what is wrong.     I do believe part of mine is stress but I also think there is something else.    With me it could be my fibroid pressing on bladder.   But then why would it only be sometimes I have difficulty.   If it was fibroid surely it would be all the time.     They didn't tell me anything at the hospital.  I got my result from my own Dr a week later.   In  the case of fibroid if it is not hurting, which mine isn't, then you leave it be and it should shrink of its own accord.   They weren't sure if it was contributing.

I'm only talking about my experience it depends on each individual person, but whereas most people are told to do kegal exercises i'm the opposite.    The last thing I should do is tense my muscles.  I have to try and relax them. 

I'm sure you didn't sleep last night, so hopefully you will get a good sleep tonight.    So pleased for you.

xx

• Posted

Thanks Vicki. Yes it's great news isn't it. But of course I'm unsure about what is wrong like you said. I had not thought of fibroids. Like you said, if that was your answer you would have difficulty all the time. Yes I've to see my Doc in a week too. I know the girl doing the scan said she thought all was fine but she's not a doctor and the Doctor might see something she didn't. Fingers crossed your fibroid soon shrinks.

It's interesting that you mention kegel exercises as the bladder nurse told me to do them . But on days like today where I've hardly peed all afternoon, I'm not sure its a good idea. And in any case, clearly my bladder can hold the urine. She probably means the kegel exercises would help with the OAB episodes. But I'm still not sure.

No I didn't sleep last night so I will have an early night tonight. I just hope my bladder empties during the early hours like it usually does after a day or half day of hardly weeing.

Thanks for being there.

Shirl.

• Posted

At the moment I feel a bit of discomfort on either side of groin which could be small kidney stones.   I dunno.   It's all guess work.  I've been stressed and eating/drinking rubbish so......   partly my fault. Back to the old plain diet.   I'm just about to have my 2 marshmallow root capsules in a mug of hot water.   That always makes it easier for me to go.     

It does sound like you will get a good result from your Doctor.  I think it will be very interesting when you start your job to see how that affects you.  

Not sure what to think about the kegal exercises.  I know they can help people when their muscle needs tightened but definitely in my case they are the last thing I should be doing because nothing will get through my muscle if I don't want it to!!!!!   It's very strong.   I tried listening to relaxation tapes and gave up cos I found them very boring.   I'm sure it works for some people.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on next week.   Who would have thought after all this time we are still not completely cured.  I doubt I ever will be.

xx

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I hope your discomfort isn't kidney stones. And I disagree with you about eating rubbish and it being your own fault. I think a lot of people, myself included, eat rubbish or junk food because it calms them down, makes them feel better (Emotionally) or numbs pain and frustration - if only temporarily. I'm not suggesting you are overweight but I think that most overweight people will be using junk food as the drug of their choice and that's why it's so hard to give up. My son is addicted to junk food but he never puts weight on. That must be down to his metabolism. But still, I keep telling him all that junk inside him can't be doing him any good. So no I don't think it is your fault at all.

Marshmallow root Capsules, do you get them at Holland and Barrett? Can't imagine what they taste like. I'm presuming they don't taste like Marshmallows.

Yes I think I should get a good result from Doc too. I think the volunteer job will help because it will take my mind off things and stop me over analysing everything. I'm not sure about Kegel exercises either. I can go hours without needing the loo, till I go out! I know what you mean about relaxation too. As you say it works for some and not others. And i agree it can be boring.

I will let you know how I get on next week. I bet the bladder nurse is mad because I've not been doing my kegel exercises all the time, not because I don't want to but because I was retaining a lot during the day and whilst I know I have problems with urgency when I'm not near a loo, I worry that kegel exercises will make my "Retaining" worse and do I really need to do them if I can hold on so long when I'm relaxed.To me it's more about relaxing etc so I'm starting CBT in a couple of weeks. See how I get on.

Will be back next week.

• Posted

Will be very interesting to hear how you get on with CBT.  

I too think in your case doing kegals is not the answer.   

• Posted

My reply seemed to send itself.  Ok maybe I hit it before i'd finished!

Like your son I ate junk for years with no problems, but it does catch up on you.  I was a reformed character once I took this problem but I have gone back to junk food over the last few weeks.  So that's me finished with it again.   I'm back to the plain healthy eating.

Yes you get marshmallow root capsules in Holland and Barrett.   I get best result from emptying 2 into a mug of hot water.    They don't really taste of anything much.   A lot of people find they help.   I also take my hot water and lemon juice first thing in the morning.   During the day I'll have a nettle tea.   These drinks are all alkaline and do help me go much more easily, but I presume it will depend on the problem in your body as to whether it helps you or not.

I lost weight when I changed my diet.   No wonder, I was having rice and veg for breakfast.    I tried everything to heal my bladder and take the pain away.   For me that did help.   My bladder is no longer sore and I can eat most things without pain.   Still a bit slow in going to toilet though.  

Hope your meeting with nurse goes well and you are given helpful instructions.

x

• Posted

Yes it's done that with me before today too. CBT starts in a couple of weeks. I bet the nurse will be mad when she hears I've not been doing the Kegles though.

You are doing well getting back to Healthy Eating. I'm trying but still eating junk in between.

Glad those drinks help you go more easily. How much do you drink in a day? I drink between 1.5 and 2 Litres.

Glad to hear your bladder is no longer sore and you can eat most things without pain.

I have been logging down my fluid intake since Wednesday as my urination was so bad that day. I found that my urination is better when I drink more.

However I wish to to god I could stop the urgent feelings whenever I go out.

Thanks Vicky. I hope Tuesdays meeting with the nurse goes well too.

• Posted

If I have rubbish in the house I will eat it.    This includes cheese.     I like it so much I can eat a block in a day.   So i've banned it.   I'm going to go back on the probiotics.   They were part of my get bladder better regime.

Now you are asking............... I suppose I drink 1 mug lemon/hot water, 500ml water, mug of herbal tea, 500ml water and  mug of ginger/hot water.

That's probably about 2 litres.   I'm back on the clean drinking, all fizzy gone.    It's easy for me because I don't like tea/coffee..

I think i've just accepted I need to go to toilet when I am out and I need to get up during the night.   In my case i'm just glad the pain has gone. I used to dread going to toilet.

Good luck for Tuesday

• Posted

Hi Vicky, Same here. I love Cheese too, extra mature cheddar. Could eat loads of it. Instead I eat loads of chocolate and other rubbish. I have heard that probiotics are good for the bladder.

Yes I usually drink between 1500ml and 2000ml too. A couple of cups of tea and coffee then water or squash. I don't drink much fizzy myself.

Glad your pain has gone. I wouldn't mind going to the loo when I'm out and about if it weren't for the "Emergency" urges.

I've drank 1250ml since 8am this morning and its now 3.30pm and I've only been to wee once all day. That was at 12 noon and I only produced 50ml! I get days like this. I will probably start peeing properly this evening. Now if I had gone out today you can bet I would have got the urge to go within minutes of leaving the house! I'm just scared of what damage may be going on in my bladder till I start weeing again.

Will point all this out to bladder nurse on Tuesday (Again).

Speak when I get back.

• Posted

Good  luck for tomorrow. 

Hopefully you won't be doing anything to your bladder by not going sometimes.   If you think about it you don't go to toilet  for about 8 hours during the night (I should be so lucky I have to get up)

• Posted

Hi Vicky, Thanks for your message. I hope I'm not damaging my bladder with hardly going to the loo during the day, then going in the early hours. That's true, before this started I didn't get up often in the night but having said that, I was peeing normally all day and not "Retaining". So we'll see what the nurse says. I will get back to you later.

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I've seen the nurse now. She thinks my problem is psychological. I am really glad to hear it. I told her everything as it was a different nurse. I was glad of that to be honest. But she said everything was fine and that I wouldn't be damaging my bladder and that I wasn't "Retaining" when I had days when I hardly produced any urine and ended up emptying my bladder in the early hours the next day. She knows I've to see the Doc too and thinks anxiety medication is a good idea. So it was a good meeting all in all and she thinks I'll get over this. :-)

• Posted

That is great news.   I am so pleased for you.   Now when you next find not much coming out when you go to toilet you will know it's ok it will come out later and you are not harming yourself.   Such a relief.

Take care

x

• Posted

Thanks Vicky. Yes I'm relieved. Now all I need to do is get over my anxiety re OAB when I go out and that will be another relief. At least I can take medication for that and go to CBT sessions. So hopefully in a few months I will see improvements with this too. Hope you are doing ok too. :-)

• Posted

Re your OAB, maybe you could try and do what I do, just accept when you go out you will need to visit the ladies.   If you are going shopping you will know such and such has a nice toilet i'll just pop in there.   That may take a little bit of the anxiety away because you have a back-up plan.    

I've been under a bit of stress lately so I can feel myself tightening but it is manageable .    Hopefully stress will get less and so will problem.   I've  got

better before and will again.   A lot of the time when i'm busy I do forget about it.    

I do think you are on your way to improving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.