So Hot All Night But Not Really Sweating

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi everyone.  This is a great forum. Just spent the last hour reading through older discussions.  I didn't really see one quite like mine, so I thought I'd start a new discussion.

I will be 52 years old in a few months. All my life, my period was like clockwork until about 3 years ago, when I starting skipping one occasionally.  I've been a little lucky that they've gotten a bit lighter.  For the past year, I've been having a period every 2 months, quite regularly.  I don't mind this at all, but I know what's coming.

Last year, I all of a sudden starting getting really, really hot at night.  This was very much out of nowhere.  I dealt with it for a few weeks (it was constant) and then I thought, "Wait a minute, maybe it's my thyroid medication."  I have been taking thyroid meds since my 30s when I had my thyroid removed for thyroid cancer.  I've been pretty stable since then, but there have been a few changes since 2012 with brand names and manufacturers so things haven't been as stable.  I decreased my dosage and within a week, the heat was gone!  I remained on a lower dose for months and then, increased it back up this past March.  I was doing fine again, until June.  The hot flashes started up again.  I waited for a few weeks and then, 2 weeks ago, decreased my dosage again. This time it did not help.  So, this is probably not by thyroid.  I do have an appointment with my endocrinologist in the meantime to sort that out.

But, I'm thinking hot flashes.  What confuses me is that it rarely happens during the day.  It was happening starting at midnight each night and going until about 3AM.  Now it is starting around 10PM and going all night.

My room is very cold and I am under blankets.  Then I heat up like an OVEN. It's amazing.  I throw the covers off and then I cool off, get freezing cold, and then covers go back on and it goes on like this all night.  I don't really have the drenching night sweats that I read about, although I get kind of clammy where I have contact.  Such as behind my knees, between thighs if my legs are together, and that sort of thing.  When I get up to look at myself, I'm not even flushed (and I flush easily).

It bothers me because this doesn't really sound normal. Again, I 99% fine during the day (but I am in a lot of air conditioning during the day).

I've changed out all my blankets to lighter ones, keep my room frigid, and wear comfortable night clothes.  It just goes on all night.

Does this sound abnormal?  Thanks!

Christine

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Chris

Ive been experiencing the same thing for  about the last month or so.  Mine has also been happening very regularly during the day as well, Im going from feeling at normal temperature to being extremely hot.  Im not having sweats as such at night either just, as you say, quite clammy and mine is following the same pattern. I feel quite cool, then really hot, covers off then cold, covers back on then hot again.

My periods are all over the place, ranging from every 18 days to every 45! I dont know where I am with them at the moment. Im also having some digestive issues too.  My IBS, which has been behaving for about 5 years, has started playing up again and Im suffering a lot from acid reflux.  Its getting really hard to deal with.  Im 45 and my GP refuses to accept my problems are peri menopause because he says Im too young!

Im sorry I cant offer any real help, but youre definitely not alone with this,

Take care x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.  Just hearing a similar story from someone is quite calming.  The internet is full of a lot "sweating" and I don't have that so I was concerned.cheesygrin

As for the IBS issues, I understand those all too well.  I have been plagued with that since my 30s after a bout with a parasite.  Mine was really out of control over the past year due to poor eating.  

Back in March, I started a "lower carb" (not low carb) eating plan.  I finally lost about 10 lbs and my IBS issues were really well-controlled.  It was actually kind of impressive.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've been living in "vacation"  mode doing things with my kids and have added some not-so-good things into my diet (ice cream, cakes, bread) and have been having a heck of a time with the IBS.  So, I'm trying to rein that in now, but for me, it's really all about my eating habits.

• Posted

Dear Chris I am 51 and was in peri but now full meno since having ovaries out four weeks ago as a preventative measure due to family history, i too now experience the 'heat' but not reallt the sweating apart from sometimes behind the knees or between breasts, but mostly it is just a hot feeling like in a heat wave but as soon as covers are off i feel cold x
    • Posted

HI Lisa215, I am not a doctor but from what I have read, this sounds like candida. Often confused with IBS and other issues, the medication for IBS can actually make it worse. I do have hormone problems and the heat sensation is different. I have not been told by my doctor that I have candida but my mom said I got it as a baby; I also read it can lie dormant for many years until a flare-up. There is a blood test to test your IgG, IgA, and IgM antibodies which I am planning on doing for myself. There are also some home tests if that would help. I hope this helps some of you, good luck and God be with you.
  • Posted

Hi

My eating habits have been a bit hit and miss lately too. My job means I eat on the run sometimes which is awful for my digestion.

I have a couple of weeks annual leave soon so I'm going to really try and clean up my diet.

If you find anything thats helps the 'sweats' that aren't really sweats, let me know. 😁

• Posted

Hi Chris

This is like me. I get hot at night then i throw off the covers then I get cold and the covers are back on me. I also have a thyroid problem myself and i am on medication for my thyroid 

• Posted

Well, I can't wait to see what my thyroid numbers are next week, although, I can't totally blame that.  There were several times in my youth where I was overmedicated and didn't get these intense waves of heat.  I mean, I might feel a tad bit warmer all the time and have some heart palps, but it was not like this.

It's so odd because the heat seems to start in my torso and then spread.  My stomach and ribs will just be radiating.  It's so weird.

• Posted

Yes Chris I have the same. Tend to just wear a vest top and bottoms and it's a cold day! I have to be able to get the covers off just in case I overheat!! My periods are all over the place I couldn't tell you when my last proper one was as have a show everyday!
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm SO glad I found your discussion! These symptoms have been bothering me for the last few months and I couldn't find anything heatwise that wasn't describing soaking sweats!

Regular as clockwork until I turned 50 late last year, then started noticing changes in my pattern. January / February I had 4 normal length periods then settled down until now, when I am about 9 days overdue but still suffering the bloating and stomach burning and tender boobs, mood swings etc...

Anyway, I had been getting the odd classic night sweat, usually during a period, on and off for several years - waking in the night thinking someone had poured a bucket of water down my cleavage! I can't say I felt especially hot when it happened though. However, now I often find I am too hot throughout the night, chilling when the covers have been off a while but quickly overheating again. Even last night I was overheating, yet our bedroom is poorly insulated and quickly chills off - last night was clear chilly in the UK, and unusually cold for July! This overheating at night seems to produce no sweat at all!

Back in the balmy days of June, whilst we were having a caravanning holiday, I was going off for a shower every evening. The shower block was always warm and the showers were set at a safely warm temperature - but I was longing for some cool water! One such evening, when I got back to the caravan, I sat outside as usual but, after a while, both my mum-in-law and my husband started to complain of getting chilled and wanted to move back in to the awning. However, I felt no cooler than I had all day and had to stay out until it went dark! Though I had been perspiring properly during the heat of the day, the over-all heat I had in the evenings was dryer but impossible to shake off!

Several weeks ago I set about mowing my Dad's paddock (by hhand) on an overclouded, cool day, but within minutes I was overheated and flushed! I, too, have always flushed / blushed to the tip of my roots, very easily, but these episodes leave the skin of my face hot enough to fry an egg on! One of the first things you hear about an approaching menopause is the hot flushes that start as a tide from your chest to your head - that's how both mums have described it too.

So I was really thinking there must be something seriously wrong with my heart or thyroid, or something else, especially as I have been feeling so exhausted lately too.

Thank you so much, Chris, for posting your invaluable story - and for all the other lovely ladies who have responded in kind.

CJD x

• Posted

Hi Chris , I'm new to this site but ive just seen your post and amazed that someone has similar symptoms to mine that totally puzzles the GP.

My hot flashes started late 30s for a couple of weeks every few months continually and ALWAYS between 12 midnight and 3pm not daytime

Recently ( now I'm 44) more often ..

My GP just said must be menopause and that's it but I'm not convinced ... My periods were ok up until 6 months and now not very often . I know other endocrine problems can affect periods but my thyroid is fine .. these flashes are ruining my sleep and I work full time , I'm very tired . Col

• Posted

duvet off --- duvet on

this post so reminds me of another that stated as above on fb smile

• Posted

Hey I've been overheating like crazy lately. Its only when I cover up in a blanket at night, but its fall and freezing in my room. I'm male and don't have a menstral cycle, and I'm only 21. I also have a dry mouth and am constantly running to the kitchen for water. I think its from dehydration but no matter how much water I consume I'm still parched and either freezing without a blanket or overheating with one and always parched.

• Posted

Hello, did you ever find out what you have? I'm a 21 year old female and have been having this problem for months! I never realised about the dry mouth/thirstiness until you just mentioned it but it makes sense now and I'm drinking water constantly all night!

• Posted

Hi Chris,Iam suffering with the same thing at night,hot but skin feels cold to touch,not sleeping properly because of this,I take meds for an under active thryroid,and hormone replacement because I had a full instorectomey when I was 40,I have just turned 50,going to see my GP about it because I am getting stressed new with the lack of sleep ,will post if I get to find out anything x

Stella

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I am Holly, I am 45 just recently started waking up almost every night hot. Kicking off sheets and blankets. When I cool off I get cold and put sheets and blankets back on. I also have been diagnosed with some type of arthritis. Next week I gave an appointment with a rheumatologist. I can't really sleep at night. I hate it I toss and turn. Sometimes I cry all night. I hate feeling like this. I am glad I gave someone I can talk to! Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.