So I have Perennial Rhinitis...

Posted , 5 users are following.

But I've self-diagnosed because 3 different GPs are not interested and simply  tell me I'm allergic to something. However, it's been 2 years since it started and recently has hot a lot worse. Now it's every single morning, waking up sneezing, blocked and then 2/4 hours of clear runny nose, going through boxes of tissues.Was prescribed steroid nasal spray and Fexofenadine Hydrochloride 180 but nothing changed, even after 4 weeks. So I'm thinking of trying different antihistamines, there seem to be so many, how to decide which? Drs tell me it's not worth having allergy test "because it won't make any difference anyway"?! Am now thinking of going to a Private Clinic but it seems very expensive.                                                                 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Meant to add....it started suddenly 2 years ago after living in Gulf state for 3 months, in constant air conditioning. Was informed later there was mould in the AC system. Never previously had any allergies. But now I'm living in a dry climate, so doubt it's mould....anyone else relate to this! 
  • Posted

I believe so called perennial rhinitis is often really silent acid reflux but doctors do not recognise it or give it enough thought to link them together. It is possible to have silent acid reflux SAR where the only symptom is a runny nose, or blocked nose or wshatever. And it would explain why it is 24 7 all year around, also why it has got worse. I would suggest taking some bicarbonate of soda, just a quarter of a teaspoon fool with water, three times a day for a week, and see if it makes a difference. If it does then thats what it is.
    • Posted

Thankyou Carmel, this is something I've never considered. I will definitely try the bicarbonate suggestion, start right away! 
    • Posted

You are very welcome, hope it helps and you feel better soon.

Bicarbonate of soda cannot do you any harm so long as you do not take lots of it every day over a long period of time because of the salt content. But it is certainly much easier to cope with and less side effects than the ppis and pp2s the doctor gives you for the same thing.

• Posted

I have had the condition you are talking about for as long as I can remember. I too have no idea whats caused it, is causing it, and doctors are not interested. Did the bicarb make any difference?
    • Posted

Why not just give it a try? You can buy it for pennies.

The first few times I took it it helped a lot. After that I ended up wheezing a lot if I took one dose after the other. But don't let that put you off, everyone is different and this is very unusual.

I also found bicarb got rid of my bad bachache, which I am sure was caused by the ppis damaging my kidneys.

• Posted

Thanks for your messages. Sadly bicarbonate did nothing for me, BUT, I HAVE now found my solution! NASACORT, I was in the US recently and a pharmacist told me to take 2 nasal puffs before bed.....and ever since, no more sneezing etc! My GP back home didn't know of it but looked it up and I now get it on prescription. Apparently it works with the adrenal gland? 
    • Posted

Are you still taking Nasacot and is it working still?  Do you use anything else?  I have been taking Flonase for 2 months and it's not helping.  I need to find something that works!

(waking up sneezing in the middle of the night)

• Posted

Hi, I am still using Nasacort, I take 2 puffs in each nostril before I go to sleep. It's greatly improved my rhinitis (that only ever seems to be after waking up). I used to suffer virtually every morning, but since using it it's a LOT less, maybe once in every 2 weeks. 

HOWEVER, it's been almost a year since I started using it and I have just seen my Dr because 4 weeks ago I lost all sense of smell and taste sad

The Dr doesn't think it's the Nasacort' rather a sinus infection......but I'm not convinced.....I think Flonase has the same ingredients? 

• Posted

Any medication you take will help you to eliminate temporarly your symptoms.

However, if you are interested in getting to the bottom of your problem, you will definatelly need to improve the condition of your internal organs (stomach = digestion, lungs, etc...).To do so, and I can tell you, its possible - you will need to be aware that warm soups, cooked and balanced veg and meat, grains, lentills etc.. are very important. Also elimintation of sugar and cold food. Be aware that drinking excess of water is not good in your condition. Replace it with ginger drinks, boiled coffee or nice teas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.