So is Tramadol addictive? yes/no

Posted , 9 users are following.

Lets have your views.  Considering there seems to be a divide among the medical intellectuals regarding this drug..

1 like, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Tramadol is extremely addictive.  I shouldn't image "medical intellectuals" actually try out the drugs they talk about.  Your GP and other medical professionals will tell you it is addictive, it would be very amiss if they didn't.  All the drugs prescribed to combat pain are addictive. A lot of them are opiate based.  Taking them is one thing, especially if you are in the higher bracket of pain.  The trick, at some point, is coming off them.  Every person has their own opinion of withdrawal methods, but it does not mean that it will work for another person.  Strong will, good GP (+ a good Pain Management team) will go a long way. Unless you are a Tarzan type person by oding cold turkey, coming of them a little at a time is the best plan (takes longer, but hey!!)
  • Posted

Tramadol is very addictive, and what is more it is a nightmare to try and get off.
  • Posted

I can guarantee you that this drug is addictive without a shadow of a doubt...Yet it  still amazes me the ignorance of people who claim otherwise....jx
  • Posted

I don't find it addictive.. but I use a low dose..and only use when i need it.. I do think if you have an addictive personality that you could abuse it..the most addictive thing I've found with it is its easy to get addicted to not being in pain.

For me it has been a huge blessing because it doesn't have the side effects of other pain meds and it really helps.

• Posted

Then you are very lucky, if you only take it when you need it, then perhaps paracetamol would be the way to go.  For drugs like tramadol you need to take it consistently for it to work properly.  To say that if you are 'addicted' means you have an addictive personality is wrong.  For those people on the drug (I am not one of them) the last thing they need to hear is that! As for being addicted to NOT being in pain, yes please, I would love to be one of the addicted
    • Posted

I'm not trying to be rude..but I'm pretty sure your not a dr. Tramadol works great for me..my script says to take twice daily as needed..and it works amazing within 1 hour the pain is gone and my day goes on..considering my dr not only has her own practise but works at the E.R. in a huge hospital and also dies tours with the military..I have full trust in her..it's not addictive for me and plenty of other people... it is regulated and to regulate it more because some get addicted to it Wil make it harder for those that use it correctly..

You can become addicted to almost any medication, caffine sugar ect..so should we regulate all of that because a few people get addicted to it?

I would choose tramadol over most other pain medications..

• Posted

I have to agree tramadol worked extremely well for me, it gave me an addiction for 4 years, having only just completed 8months of detox from a drug that Drs know very little about. Let alone how to detox from it.  It is only now that some are beginning to realise the addictictive properties of this drug..I would just like to add you do not have to abuse this drug to become addicted...you can take it as directed which most of us do and still end up becoming addicted.....You were not rude at all just dont become complacent...It can happen to anyone of us...jx
    • Posted

Sorry forgot to mention that more people die from prescription drugs than from all of the illicit drugs out on the street....just because a Dr prescribes it does not make it safe....
    • Posted

You are so right, but because there is no stigma attached.......
    • Posted

Hi Gigachick. When you say you only take it when you need, how often is that, say on a monthly basis, and how long have you gone without taking it, and what is your low dose. I'm just curious x
  • Posted

OMGoodness, a definite yes! Anyone who says it isn't, I beg to differ. I'm not sure if Doctors really know the effects that this drug has on the brain and body, they are only trained on what to prescribed, not the long term effects and how to withdraw from this horrendous drug!

Tramadol is great at first, masked my pain, gave me lots of energy, even lost weight! But then, tolerance kicked in, and withdrawals started even while on them! 

If a Doctor would say they are not addictive/dependence they need more training!

• Posted

Thats the problem Ruth the Drs do not know, and are now only recently beginning to acknowledge the severity of this drug on peoples lives long term....but you ask your G.P how to detox from Tramadol and its a vacant erm, I don,t know...Thats when I said then find someone that does..jx

• Posted

The other thing to remember is, if you come off Tramadol (or any other drug) and you are still in pain, detox is the last thing you need.  Most of the meds that are supplied are addictive, at the end of the day if it kills the pain so be it.  There will be a time when one is no longer in pain and weaning would be the best road to go down.  If you start gently, week by week, within the month you will have noticed a difference.  Do it too soon and you will suffer (or your brain will).  By the time you are ready to come of meds most of you will be back at work, then you have something to occupy your mind and not think about the withdrawal pangs. 

• Posted

If you do not use tramadol regularly then you may not become dependent. The difference between addiction and dependence is that addiction refers to abuse of a drug, and dependence refers to a drug that has been prescribed by a doctor but after regular use getting off it  incurs withdrawal . I was prescribed tramadol for pain I experience because of a bulging disc in my lower back. I take it because nothing else gave me relief. When I tried to stop the drug I found that a) my pain returned and b) I experienced severe withdrawal symptoms. It was originally marketed as an analgesic but has since been classified as an opiate type pain killer because it works on the same pain receptors as opiates and carries the same risk of dependence. That is why the medical profession now treat much more cautiously. My advice to anyone who is offered tramadol or any other narcotic pain killer is be aware that it can ( probably ) will cause dependence. Incidentally, when it was devised by the pharmacists they included an anti depressant in it, this is a fact most do t know including GP's , why do you imagine they did that ?.

be very aware before you start any medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.