So mad and fed up!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just had a lovely morning walking round town. No Vaginal discomfort, felt great.

Now this afternoon its a different story! Sore sore sore!! Don't want to do anything or go anywhere.

I've had this Vaginal Atrophy for over a year now. Yes I get some good days in between. But I don't know if that's not worse than having it bad all the time - because on good days I am hoping and praying that the problem is resolved, then it comes back again!

I saw the Doc recently as neither the GINEST or Vagifem worked for me. She told me there was nothing else to help!

So then I went to the chemist and she said I should see Doctor again, even though i'd just told her the doctor said there was nothing more they could do for me!!

I've got lubricants to use but they don't stop the problem coming as there is no hormones in them is there. Also they don't stop the wanting to wee all the time either.

So sick of this. I get up in a morning wondering if I am in for a good day or bad day. Was going to the Supermarket this afternoon but the VA completely put me off.

Thanks for listening

Shirley

2 likes, 346 replies

346 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley - we are twins, I swear it.  Same thing for me...maybe a good day, then awful.  I am using an estrogen cream called Estrace (I think that is what it is) ... I only use a very tiny amount every other day and just apply it a little bit internally and somewhat externally.  In between, the thing that has been helping me the most, is taking a Vitamin E capsule, piercing it, and squeezing the liquid inside and outside.  It actually has helped ... I was surprised.  I, too, have the urinary discomfort (feeling like needing to go all the time) which is almost worse than the vaginal burning etc.  I am just glad the Vit E is helping.  I was using Vagifem but that prescription ran out.  It did help heal me inside and I can get more from the doctor if I want them.  I am just trying to keep it simple and use what I have until it is gone...that is this Estrace cream.  It was prescribed by a urologist.  He said he thought it would help with the urinary discomfort.  I totally understand your statement about almost hating having a good day because it is so awful to contemplate that the next will be terrible.  Keep trying...maybe consider finding a different dr who might be more sensitive or interested in finding things that will work for you.  My best to you ... I'm sending an understanding hug and a big HOPE for a good solution.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, Many thanks for your message. I really appreciate it . Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as me. I was almost crying this afternoon sat at home on my own. I think I will have to request to see a Urologist too because this is getting me down. Maybe he or she would prescribe Estrace cream like you have got. I need something quick to help with the urinary discomfort because like you say, its almost worse than the burning isn't it. I have got some vitamin e capsules so maybe I should get them out again. Yes on good days, I dread the next day being bad. Vagifem never really worked for me but I'm glad it has helped you. Interestingly its exactly a year ago today when I started using the GINEST cream after a couple of months thinking I had water infections etc. But yes I think I will ring my Doctors surgery on Monday and get an appointment with a different doctor and ask to see a Urologist. Can't cope with this much longer. Yes my best to you too. I appreciate your understanding hug. It's great to know that someone out there understands. I hope for a good solution too. Thank you again. Shirley

:-) x

• Posted

This is my first time posting on this site. I've been reading and gleaning a ton of knowledge from all of your posts, so thank you.

I had a seriously painful UTI this summer. Doc prescribed antiobiotics, anti-fungal cream and anti-fungal meds. Came back with a vengeance the next month.

Went through another round of the same meds. Stayed gone another month.

Came back the THIRD time! I thought no. No. Something is not right. I'm spending all this money and I'm in more and more pain. Nothing is working.

I found out not only did I have or do have AG I also had a serious yeast problem that didn't go away. I spent hours and hours of research. Not only has my sex life with my husband went down the tubes (it's too painful) but the constant urge to pee was exhausting me.

This is what I'm doing and it's helping, big time. I'm taking pumpkin seed oil for the urgency. It's really helping.

I'm taking baking soda and organic apple cider vinegar 3xs a day. The combo helps kill yeast.

I'm taking 5,000 milligrams of Vit C daily. The powder dissolved in water.

One large shot glass of collodial silver water daily. I bought a generator, hubby makes it with distilled water. It helps with the achiness in my joints and the heat. 

Lastly, all of the so called hormonal injectables were giving me serious burning feeling. Was wearing ice packs between my legs at night just to sleep. 

The restless legs came on at the same time. It was like I was messed up all over! Started taking calcium citrate and putting a bar of soap at the end of the bed. Old wives tale, but dang it, it works.

Lastly, I made my own vaginal suppositories out of coconut oil. Instant relief. 

Looking forward to reading everyone's remedies.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about the UTI you had this summer. You had a really tough time of it didn't you. I have got that urge to pee often too though it can fluctuate. Glad the pumpkin seed oil is helping you with that. Will have to maybe try it myself. I used Ovestin HRT cream recently, but like you got an awful burning feeling with your HRT, so did I. It was like there was a fire up there! And I had a UTI that took about 3 weeks to clear. Not good is it Debbie. It has been driving me crazy for 18 months now but I used vitamin E Suppositories and they help with the Vaginal soreness and dryness. And I use Hydromol to wash down below with too.
  • Posted

Shirley I do sympathise with you as know from experience what you are going through. I was prescribed Hydromol which looks like vaseline but you can shower with it so it lays down a kind of protective layer around the vagina and anus to keep the parts lubricated. I am also using Vagifem but have tried to cut down to using it just once a week as the next day after using it I seem to feel very tired. I also bought some big pants from Sainsburys, they come in a pack and cost about £6 but they are comfry and seem to irritate and rub less. Not sure what sex is like in relation to this condition as it has been a few months as I avoid it due to the sensitive area. But I am going on holiday soon so I expect I will be in the firing line as my hubby will be relaxed and probably expecting a bit of romance in that department. So I will see how I get on after the course of treatment I am on. I did not like Gynest it made me feel ill and gave me headaches. Almond oil is also an option but I will try vit e oil as a few people have had some success with it. I wonder how far vaginal atrophy goes if you stop the Vagifem? Wonder if the vagina shrinks more? I would much prefer to use natural products because of possible side effects. I notice one is insomnia and I get that the night I use Vagifem.

• Posted

Hi Carmarie, Thank you for your kind message. I am sorry you are going through this too. I have used the Hydromol in the shower. Vagifem didn't help me at all, neither did GINEST. Sorry to hear the Vagifem makes you feel tired. I know what you mean about underwear rubbing and irritating. So I tend to wear bigger, cotton undies too. My sex life ended ages ago but I couldn't imagine re starting it now in this condition. I hope all goes well for you on holiday though. Yes I have heard that almond oil is good too and I have got some vitamin e Capsules. They are good but of course they have no hormones in them so they don't stop the problem recurring, they just ease the soreness. I stopped the Vagifem a couple of months ago so I will ask the doc when I next see her, if my vagina will shrink more as a result. Yes I prefer to use natural products too. I may ask about this next time I'm in town at Holland and Barrett. I also plan to ask Doc if I can see a Urologist and see what they say or suggest. Hope you have a good day today and a good holiday too.
  • Posted

Thank you Shirley. I hope you get to see a urologist. Let me know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi Carmarie, I've got an appointment with my Doc on Friday morning at 9.40am so I can talk to her about the VA again and ask to see a Urologist.

Had problems replying to you on here in as much that when I clicked on "Reply to Carmarie", I was taken back to the sign in page, then back here again, only to have to click over and over again on "Reply to Carmarie" till this box came up.

Will let you know how I get on a Docs on Friday. Let's hope we have a decent week and not too much discomfort.

• Posted

I get that I.T. problem every time Shirley. I got around it by clicking into the sort box and choosing latest so the last post is on the top then the reply box appears. Something wrong with the site I think it has been happening for months. I am off on my hols Wednesday for a fortnight so I will pick up your thread when I get back. Hope all goes well Friday.rolleyes
    • Posted

Hope you have a good holiday Carmarie. Strangely, although my VA hasn't been perfect since the weekend, it hasn't been quite as severe either. I'm puzzled now. I did go down to Holland and Barrett this morning to speak to someone about herbal alternatives that may mimic hormones but there were no female sales assistants in the shop so I didn't get to speak to anyone after all. I did ask about the female version of Urestomol (I think that's what it's called) and its for people with bladder problems. But I'm not sure it includes people in my position with their hormone levels being lower because of the change. I think it may be for women having other reasons for bladder problems. I will mention it to the doc anyway, also the Urologist. Speak in a couple of weeks. Take care.
    • Posted

Forgot to say Carmarie that when I asked

about the Urestomol, I was in Boots where there were loads of female assistants. :-)

• Posted

Ooohhhhhh shirley

nothing worse. Just thought I have worked it all out and got it under control and now have been plagued with cystitis which lead to a kidney infection.

the mind boggles.... What next.

we just want to feel normal?

• Posted

Shirley ,do you get anxiety from having this below ,I do especially worse when sitting .My Dr gave me Ovestin 1 mg ,but didn't use it for very long ,Im reluctant to try much. I'm my own worst enemy ,so I suffer on daily .hope one day I will just get up and it's all done with ,anxiety and Av finished finally .Sad reading about this condition women continue looking for relief from it .
    • Posted

Hi Marlene and Shirley too.  I am in this th same as you.  And it is an ongoing misery some days.  I keep telling myself to do what I can and then try to accept what my body is going through.  I've tried so many things and continue to try news things I find on this forum.  God Bless us all ... this is not an easy fight.  I keep hoping I will wake up one day and it will just be gone ... I'm using an estrogen cream (very small amounts) every few days along with Vitamin E (gel caps inserted) along with coconut oil externally.  This course of action is not curing the problem but sometimes I do get relief.  With you in spirit ladies.
    • Posted

Hi Pat ,do you get this what I call Gyne anxiety (always have done ) hard to explain it to a Dr even female who are pre meno themselves ,got to be in it to understand it .ive never had depression thank the Lord ,but bloody anxiety is the pits ,just never wants to die a death and just leave ,same door it came in .i suffer sciatica which don't help matters down there .

Think Jays best one to go by for me ,she's placed up some real good finds ,best I've ever seen .

Misery it sure in hells name it is ,female 2 who I've seen both said they're giving menopause a big miss .( with a smile ) ,think we see lot on here story wise ,but they see and hear it close up daily .

Vitamins they can't advise you on ,as it's not in there domain ,only head meds etc,so here we all are picking up tips on what's helped ,and what's not I do drink lots of water ,to keeping hormones flushing through with having this .If we all had a date when this would all finally end that would help ,How long have you had it Pat ? 

• Posted

It has been 6 to 8 months that I have SUFFERED ... although I kept having many UTI's prior ... sometimes almost every other month.  That is what sent me to a urologist who told me that I did not have UTI's but he did not know what was wrong with me.  What a dope.  Then I saw my OBGYN ... he is the one that diagnosed the VA.  Anxiety - oh yeah - with CAPITAL LETTERS!  Any time that you have constant discomfort, pain, burning, need to go to the bathroom - of course you will get anxious.  Even if you know that it is VA you get anxious just wondering what kind of day it is going to be.  I am going on a short vacation for 5 days in mid-October.  I am a wreck just wondering if I can get through it.  We are going to Disney Land in Orlando FL....walking, walking, walking every day in the 80 degree heat.  Where is the bathroom, where can I get water - oh no, no more water because I'll feel like I have to go to the bathroom.  Of course I am going to feel anxiety ridden.  Doctors just tell you to either take some kind of pharmaceuticals or just stop whining.  I don't like drugs and hate taking them.  I do have some Xanax if the anxiety gets too bad (they give it to me when I have to fly because I am not comfortable and don't want to freak out on the plane) - so I will have it if I need it.  It is like putting a bandaid on a broken arm - the VA is still there.  I also drink a lot of water - just to keep my urinary system as clean as possible.  That is ok when I am at home but it is not going to be easy on this trip.  I take probiotics every day and I truly believe that they are essential to our good health.  I also take d-mannose capsules - d-mannose is the same sugar found in cranberries so it helps keep the urinary track bacteria free.  I use the Vitamin E caps (inserted) and coconut oil does seem to sooth the outer parts of my body a little.  I try to wear lose clothing and skip underpants whenever possible just to get some air circulating! I have come to the conclusion that anxiety goes hand in hand with menopause.  The change in hormone levels can set off all kinds of "symptoms."  When that happens, I certainly get nervous and edgy.  I do whatever I can to sooth my fears - walk, type, clean the house, type (when I am at work), and I try to reassure myself that what I am feeling will pass.  I talk about it here and it helps a lot.  Just to know that others understand makes a huge difference.  So glad you posted and wish you the very best!
    • Posted

Oh dear. Feel for you. Sadly a similar story of many of the ladies on this site
    • Posted

Exactly know what you are saying.  I have to wear a pad because I don't know if I can make it when I am out.  On probiotics all the time, take d-mannose caps too, nothing works.  One antibiotics again for UTI but all stems from Vaginal Atrophy.  Took me  years to get a diagnosis.  Check out Mona Lisa Laser, that will probably be my next step...not covered bt insurance, $3000 for 3 treatments then once a year for $500.  will do anthing but first want to know it works.  Lets keep in touch.  does help to talk about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.