So scared, so lost, so unmotivated, my mind can't handle it all

Posted , 121 users are following.

I just don't even know where to begin with this really.  I just feel ultra lost in life and confused but most of all just terrified and I have long ago lost all motivation and any sense of hope or enjoyment in life.  I feel I have lost all direction and my life feels completely out of my control.  I am just existing and going along with whatever happens to me like a rag doll.  I feel helpless in life like a child who is scared and has lost its mother - just so terrified.  I am deeply embarrassed by this.  I feel no sense of self worth, my confidence and self esteem is at its lowest ever .... life has passed me by and almost all of this time has been as a pathetic and hopeless cas.  I have always been exceptionally sensitive and I always feel that I was not meant to be on this earth because somebody as weak as me just cannot survive here without self destructing or being destroyed by life's reality.  I feel deeply ashamed of myself and my anxiety and depression.  Completely pathetic and useless as a human being even though deep inside I also feel such a sense of sadness for myself like part of me still wants to reach deep and give me a big hug and save myself but I keep failing at this.  I imagine I would excel in another type of land or in another world where I am just able to be in peace and the way I am and be left alone.  I have already been through the days of finding small bursts of habits to keep me going - like playing computer games, or chatting online etc .... I have also been through under eating, over eating, binge eating, losing weight, gaining weight, not dressing, not washing, lying in bed - crying at the tiniest issues - worrying about worst case scenarios in life, and also feeling so completely  lost as to what to do with myself. I get scared in life to the point of paranoia.  I imagine the absolute worst will happen - getting into trouble, ending up in prison, ending up in a vulnerable situation, homeless, etc, etc, etc .... I find it really hard to trust myself, let alone other people because I feel I have no skills to cope in life.  I feel tense around others and only peaceful when I am all alone in solitude .... but this is also very lonely and isolating place to be.   I feel a source of guilt in terms of any relationship with my family - because they have not been able to help me - they have not been able to aid in my dysfunctional mind and circumstances.  I have felt trapped, hysterical and like a I am verging on psychotic at times - shouting, throwing things, anger, tears.  All this has already been and gone.  I have visited psychologists in the past as well as psychiatrists - but they have never diagnosed me with anything else besides general depression and anxiety.  And as I am particularly well able to articulate my feelings and problems lucidly and with intelligence then they do not realise the extent of my problem and the absolute unbearable sense of fears, paranoias, misery I feel inside I think.  It's as though I have never fallen into any 'categor'y. I think this is because I have quite a variety of psychological difficulties that all merge into each other sometimes and of course feed off one another. Because I have managed to hang on (to all outward appearances) to some kind of sanity, they do not see the real picture of the chaos in my mind and body.  I have suffered 3 strange 'episodes' in the last 15 years where I have lost sensation in my body and face and it has never returned.  This remained something of a mystery to doctors and I was eventually diagnosed with some kind of neuropathy or anxiety related bodily symptoms.  Physical manifestation of anxiety even though some of them argued my symptoms were not typical or fitting.  These reduced sensations have never resolved or returned and I now live with reduced and diminished sensation including not being able to sense pleasure sensations like massages or orgasms, pain.  I feel adverse to sex and always have - somehow I (sometimes) find it a bit dirty and repulsive and feel violated and I cannot live with how I feel because I feel like a freak to feel that way without any reason that I can recall.  I have no history of abuse that I can recall - just an anxious mother with some depression and negativity in her own thinking.  Apart from this I have just been scared since always and have never had the strength or courage to pull myself out and I am now at my worst point ever and have given up on life and am just existing.  I have tried within my very limitied mental means to pull myself out by attempting life changes in the past but have been crippled by my own anxieties and fears and these attempts have ultimately ended in the same patterns of failure.  I lack any sense of ability or life resources, no sense of strength and I am aimless in life - feeling as helpless as if I were a newborn.  I do not see the meaning or point in anything and feel it so diffiult to think of anything that would make me want to see a glimmer of light and really try again.  Been there, done that before.  Already too tired.   I feel like I want a parent figure to come guide me step by step and pull me out from this hole.  But that is just ridiculous and the more I think of how I should be able to manage my life, the more ashamed I feel of my bleak and fearful reality.  I now find myself in a very stressful situation in life currently.  And I arrived here through my own desperation and hysteria to escape my last situation and lack of seeing any other way out - an out of the frying pan into the fire situation.  I have tried in the past medication, cbt, citalopram medication ..... I am so sad that I have come to this point but I do not know how to get better or where to begin ..... so much seems to have happened inside my mind that I am genuinely afraid that I have gone quite mad (but am still managing to pretend to be sane) ... I cannot cope with the vast amount of emotions and their intense strength that I feel in terms of everything seeming so dark, desperate, scary, chaotic and my mind just can't process it all.  Particularly it just all feels a lot of thoughts for a tiny tiny mind to have.  I just thought I would write about it.  I have been through a lot of weird phases, living on baby food for a while, labelling the calories on everything, Obsessive tendencies to tidy everything to the extreme just to have an element of control in my life .... I have a problem with OCD where everything in my home has to be perfect and tidy and straight otherwise I feel very anxious and restless and as though things are dirty or that I have lost all control completely.  If I lose the ability to control even my home or food then I feel I will have absolutely nothing since the rest of my life is so far gone.  But the pressure this extreme thinking gives me is unbearable to live with and makes me tired and cry when I don't match up to my own pressure and standards.  I take ages to get ready every day on the days when I feel able to try and go out because I feel I have to put on a pretence of appearing respectable and 'ok' .... the reality is sometimes I cry, shout, like a toddler who can't handle adult life and who can't dress herself or manage her well-being and life.  Afraid.  Lost.  Unmotivated.  My mind wants it all to go blank.  I want peace.  Feel a complete loser in life.  Just want to float away quietly on a cloud or sleep and not wake up sometimes and just drift off into a haze where the last thing I think about is something uplifting and peaceful and far from the reality of this overwhelming life.  I feel guilty to myself and to the world for being this way.  The only way my stupid dreamy mind sometimes justifies it is to pretend I am a fairy from another world who was made perfectly but has come to an imperfect world and cannot hack it because it's too far from my own world.  And I imagine this particular thought in a sane way, not an insane way ... I realise I am not really this person but this is the best way I am able to get any comfort in how I feel in this life.

19 likes, 186 replies

186 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I understand how hard it is, like you on the outside I seem ok, down, quiet but ok. Even friends can't tell sometimes, today my friend was upset because she didn't notice that I was having a panic attack, until I had to call her out of a meeting, because I needed help. We are all good at covering it up, and many of us have Years of practice. Is there anyone that you have near by that you can call on, I have only 1, so bless her she gets it all. I know it's so hard with all that goes on in your head, it's a struggle to work things out. I'm here if you need someone to talk, 
    • Posted

Just to say Thank you very much for your reply, it's much appreciated 
    • Posted

Your lucky blackhole at least u have some one to talk to the one person closed to me i thought i could trust started yelling at me. If u cant guess my mom i feel so hdhdufjfkfifjfjfjjfjfhrkdjdhrhdjjdjxjxjshfjffufhcbxjxjffmdmdjdjdhh nothing i do describes my emotions. Anything i do i get in trouble so thers no point to doing anything like clair i just go along trying to hide my every day life to my (FRIENDS)
  • Posted

Are you on any medication for depression? Your episodes of numbness do not sound psychological. I would want investigations into other possibilities. Have you been tested for vitamin B12 deficiency? This can result in neurological symptoms like you describe as well as serious depression and cognitive problems. Also some anti depressants can result in lack of sex drive and sensation, especially the SSRIs.
    • Posted

I have been on Citalopram, yes Evergreen (and thank you for your response)  ..... a couple of medical professionals have made the comment that my numbness symptoms and loss of sensation do not particulary tie in typically with depression and anxiety ..... but I think that because I have suffered with my mental and emotional well-being problems for such a long period of time, I do worry that it is rather 'easy' for my anxiety issues to be tied in other things .... my gut instinct was also that it was something else separate .... but I have been brain scanned and blood tested for many things and there have never been any abnormalities .... however, the kind of reactions I have had certainly are not classic panic attacks and the loss of sensation and the way my nerves and brain appear to have 'shut down' in parts and never returned is making my life considerably hard to live with and as you can imagine it worsens my anxiety and depression problem .... however, there came a point where it was easier to just surrender in a way and 'give in' to the doctors idea that it was all related .... and I now got extremely tired of trying to fight to find out what happened .... it's hard living with both this lack of sensation and my other mental issues too ... and nobody can seem to say with any definite answer exactly whether my physical symptoms are to do with anxiety or another issue that may well be entirely separate .... either way, it does nothing for my quality of life or my depression and it definitely adds to my worry and feeling of vulnerability as I feel somewhat imparied physically as well as being emotionally fragile.  I believe I was tested for B12 yes and it was normal but I did also read that blood levels aren't always an accurate test as they are not the same as serum levels ... or something ... forgive me if I got that wrong, I don't really know anything about medicine.
    • Posted

I believe the levels are too low in this country as regards 'normal' B12 and many people can have quite severe symptoms whilst in the 'normal' range. My dad was one such person whose levels were the low side of normal. He had lost loads of weight and could hardly walk, with muscle wastage etc. I gave him a book called 'Could it be B12?' and that gave him the drive to insist on injections. His GP agreed and he almost immediatrely started putting on weight and now hiis walking is much better and he is much more cheerful in himself.

Citalopram completely numbed my senses especially sexually. It is a common side effect of the drug.

However, your symptoms are also indicative of other diseases so you need to get your GP to check out more serious conditions such as MS and MND. Although if it were the latter you would be getting rapidly worse, so I very much doubt it could be that.

• Posted

Hi Clair, it's good you have the forum to unload a bit. It helps to know your not the only one. I'm coming through a very rough patch, but starting. to live a bit. I to am on citalopram 40 mg and 25 serequel to help with racing thoughts.. I was on 300 of serequel but didn't agree with. I'm thinking of you hunnybun and know what you are going through. Hugs Di.

• Posted

I relate to all you say, can you tell me what has helped you get better.
    • Posted

I had a similar issue- I started drinking water every day I started walking 5 minutes a day - This has helped me feel better
    • Posted

I am 6 years too late, which saddens me, but I don't imagine I would have had answers for you back then. I can identify with a lot of what you are saying. I wonder if you were experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder. With this disorder, you are unable to access your childhood traumas on a conscious level, and that makes the symptoms all the more confusing when they emerge in adulthood.

In one's dissociated state of mind - and to the outside observer - there may be no obvious explanation for physical or psychological symptoms. Sometimes when a trauma occurs, the only way to survive it is to dissociate, or separate the weaker parts of yourself and project them onto something else. During this process of dissociation, a separate, weaker, more child-like personality can be stored up in the brain and body, only to emerge once again, during stressful or triggering present day events. Once the person is removed from the danger or trauma and placed in a safe, more stabilized environment, reprocessing and healing can occur. The issue is that so many people are trapped in unbearable circumstances they can't escape. This prevents healing and recovery.

After the process of dissociation occurs, you form a stronger, more resilient personality within yourself. It's how the brain adapts and survives through unbearable circumstances. The original personality remains in the subconscious and can emerge in adulthood.

For example: when I was a child, I projected the weaker, scared, baby parts of myself onto my teddy bear, and I took on the mother/protector role during a scary thunderstorm (this is what happens when a scared, vulnerable child doesn't have proper access to an available parent to receive comfort and reassurance from). Still to this day, losing that teddy bear was like losing a part of myself that I can never get back. I have since overcome my fear of thunderstorms without my bear. Anyway, that little bear represented my little self. It was, and still is, a trauma to me to have lost my bear, and I'm 32 years old, but I survived.

I have witnessed people dissociate around me who have suffered trauma. Every now and then, a traumatic story surfaces from their past, and the person recalls the event perfectly, only to dissociate and repress the memory again. It's a form of amnesia related to trauma and it's awful to see others go through it.

• Posted

Hi Claire, wow! You are fabulous at expressing yourself and have good communication skills.. I can empathise with inner/outer show/performance. I also struggle everyday. The strange thing is I am happy with most of my life and the future but still struggle with the basics. Life is hard but will get better. It does have meaning and purpose.
    • Posted

Kelly!! i really appreciate of your way of motivation. Things will get changed better. I believe Claire could be made the most strong hearted and will succeed in life.
  • Posted

Hi Claire, how are you doing these days? I really hope you reply, it would help so much <3

• Posted

Never loose hope. Dont allow negative thoughts even if you have to struggle. God bless u!

Go to deepest center of your consciousness as often as required. You are part of universe and loved one. 

dont over analyse your mind. go beyond mind, into simple peace. just be peaceful. dont compare with others. accept your self and love yourself. you are so good and adorable !!!

• Posted

I'd love to talk to you if ypu are still feeling the same alot of what you said sounds exactly like the way I feel and even past relationships and my mother all sound alike yours. Your so good at explaining how your feeling. On a bad day I don't want to talk and on good days I cant explain the "bad day" feelings to an extent where I just sound like I'm having a moan I've so much in my life to look forward to but I can't be happy. I have a daughter and if she wasn't here I would be dead a long time ago. I wish there was some light at the end of the tunnel for me and I hope you found yours please reply if you can x

• Posted

Hello Nicola,

thank you so  much for taking the time to reply to me message posted on the board so very long ago now .  I was indeed quite surprised to see that somebody had read and responded to my message after such a long time of my having posted it!  I am so glad (or rather not so glad of course in many respects!) that you were able to relate closely to much of what I spoke of in my post - I was really pleased on a personal note to hear from you as I always find it comforting and reassuring to learn that there is somebody else in the vast 'out there' who might be feeling just as I do, or at least, I should say, very similarly, in many ways.  I hope you are doing ok just now?  I have to say that I still carry most all of the feelings I mentioned despite the post being quite old now - I do feel that it is quite hard to shift or change what feel like fairly deeply ingrained and core feelings!  My life still feels scary, uncertain and I still feel like a little girl who is trying to navigate an adult life and world and I feel like I have no clue what I am doing or where to go or what to do - I think this vulnerability scares me about myself and my present situation is particularly stressful and complicated.  I am always fearful of the worst and seem to anticipate only fearful and dark circumstances for myself which I wish that wasn't the case!  Often times, I just feel most like 'me' if I could curl up in a warm blanket and watch old tv shows from my childhood and hug a doll or a teddy bear and feel safe and secure and not have to contend with this horrible bleak uncertain world ever ... the worst part I think is people not realising how I feel inside or having expectations of me that I don't emotionally feel ready to live up to and then always having to 'pretend' just to save face and not reveal how weak I feel inside.  The real me feels just like a fairy who just wants to float around and live in a flower filled forest and has no desire to venture into this real life that destroys her and brings her such stress and overwhelm!  I will always be happy to chat with you ... and indeed listen to if you would like to talk to me .... I do not check my email every day but I will surely reply to you if you would like to write to me at any time and I am happy to converse this way about thoughts and feelings.  I am wishing you every peace and happiness and I hope this message finds you in good health.  All my best - Claire xx

• Posted

Hey Claire, are you feeling any better? I began to experience depression after I started taking Depo Provera. Before I began taking it, I could never relate to depression. I never understand the pain someone could be in who had it. I was ignorant and thought it was just being sad all the time. I was sooo wrong. My mind is terrifyingly dark, I am so empty all the time. Whenever i think about the things I would like to do in life I get this overwhelming sense of fear because I'm afraid I will feel this way for the rest of my life. I just want to be happy. I told myself if I'm not happy by 20 (I'm 18), I will commit suicide 

• Posted

Hi justina14297

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Thank you for sharing the on line link..much appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.