So when does it start to improve ???

Posted , 16 users are following.

Excuse the exasperated tone but when do things start to improve ? Now a long 14

Week post op and back in work at office job on phased return . One week in work and I feel weak and shattered . Leg aches over

Top of femur at night and keeps me awake . I accidentally slept on my bad side last night and awoke to feel like I was having surgery again ! Scar throbs and stings . Groin aches . I go to work , walk the

Dog, do some housework but nothing like I used to and drive a bit with some assisted shopping ... surely this is not all too much ?

Not sleeping makes you feel worse I know but it aches at night . Now started to get headaches so tested my BP and it was higher than normal .. can constant pain do this ? Worried about the amount of pain killers I still need ... yet surgeon says my x Ray is ' perfect' and ' beautiful '! Waiting for Orthotics appointment but beginning to feel I will be like this forever . Had to cling onto a trolley today with hubby as getting out of car was awful . Am I alone in this at 3 and 1/2 months or are others the same ? And all the 6 month plus hipsters .. can you relate to this ? I just want to know if there is light at the end of the hippy tunnel as I seems to have become stuck mid way ...

😩😢

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hazel! I feel for you! Please remember that you've had a major operation! It can take a good 6 months to a year to get back to normal.Sadly for me I never had proper aftercare,as I had to adapt myself to cope,as my poor Hubby is also disabled,with OA like me of hips & knees.Hes also severely sighted & deaf.He had a care package of two carers who were helpful with his needs,but they felt I wasn't allowed too much help.I have reflexology every other week.And when we go away I try & have a spa at the hotel.So to be honest I have a failed hip replacement.i keep myself as active as possible.Regards Amanda

• Posted

Hi Hazel! Thank you for your reply! I always put my Hubby first.Thats why my wretched hip failed.Also Hubby S social worker didn't like me.She thought I should pay for my own care.! Never mind.I just have to pace myself & keep up with my regular reflexology & spa treatments.As I suffer from tight muscles all the time.Regards Amanda

• Posted

Hi Hazel. Oh poor you. You sound really fed up. My op was the 23rd sept. So I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you.

I'm still not back to normal. My scar is not painful at all but I have groin pain intermittently. Like shift work two weeks on two weeks off. That pain in femur I get as well. I think it's the bone growing around the implant or that's what I tell myself lol.

I returned to work at 10 weeks but as an independent I haven't worked a lot of hours. 50 last month.

I have found it hard going Hazel. It hurts like hell getting in and out of car. Sitting is no problem but when I get up owchers !

Too much bending and trying to rise from a kneeling position is difficult to say the least.

I don't take pain killers as I find they don't help.

On a positive it is getting better but baby steps. I feel your frustration. We are signed off then abandoned. The physio service in U.K. Is rubbish !

This 6 weeks and back to normal more or less is also rubbish.

Had I still been employed by the local authority with 6 months paid sick then to be honest I wouldn't have gone back to work so early. This op is brutal and wipes you out.

Being more realistic in my mindset has settled me. I'm thinking that recovery will take 6-12 months.

Is it possible for you to go back on the sick ?

Seems we expect too much too soon. I thank God I don't need another one.

Hope it helps knowing your not on your own. Try and be positive and think that eventually this will pass.

A big hug. Love Sandra xxx

• Posted

Sandra sorry to say but in a perverse  way your own pain makes me feel better ! You know what I mean...that it is not abnormal and others suffer too..I can relate to everything you say.So sorry you suffer thus too.Yes I am thinking 6-12 months now...much more realistic .Thanks for the hug I will rub it into my acheing femur lol xx
  • Posted

Oh gosh.  I'm so sorry.  I'm retired so didn't have the pressure of going back to work.  I honestly don't see how it can be done.  Please go to your doctor and ask for more time off work...

• Posted

Hi Hazel,I can't offer any advice as I feel exactly the same way you do ..so I'm keen to see what others can advise 

I'm dreading going back to work 😩...and like yourself,am still in a lot of pain ,exhausted after doing very little (going to shops ,dog walking etc) ...my mood is so low and sleeping is terrible..

I hope we feel better soon ..gx

• Posted

AW gail you be careful in work.Even tho its just an office job starting off for 2 hours each day I feel so tired and achey.I try to move about and take it easy as before I was such a do-er and so active it is hard to be so invalided. Take care xx
  • Posted

Hi I have just gone back to work on phase return I am a care assistant I do get tired I am having physio the stiffness and the pain in the groin with physio does help with this sorry I can't be any more helpful hope your feeling more like your self soon

• Posted

Hi Hazel - what is "too much" is a very personal journey, and everyone is different. Your first priority needs to be the hip. Both making sure that you look after it, and getting your exercises done. After that comes comes getting back to normal. So if work is too much for now, then you need to listen to your body. I had a great recovery, and went back to work last week at nine weeks, and even I felt exhausted by it. So if you are still experiencing pain and can't sleep, then I admire your grit, but perhaps some of it is misplaced and you need to dial back just a bit? And if you still need painkillers then you need them - you aren't a junkie, and are just taking what helps you address your surgery until you can do without them. That day will come, it just isn't today. 

You may not see it now, but it sounds like you are doing well. Walking the dog, housework, the workplace - that's a huge amount. I don't know what kind of dog you have, but perhaps that is too much. Even little dogs take a lot of walking, and that is a task on top of working. Could you perhaps get someone to walk the pooch sometimes to give you a break? And maybe dusting isn't quite that important? Could you phase your return to work for a few weeks? 

• Posted

Hi Beth

Yes it phased for a month.Pooch is a demanding staffy cross but my freind has been marvellous but some days I just look at him and say sorry Pal no...it wont kill you! I do leave the dust ...perhaps if I was younger but I am 56 and this really takes it out if you. Best wishes x

• Posted

At 6 months you will feel much better. Things still adapting. Do your exercises and walk. Take a Tylenol and think positive. I was great at 6 weeks then overdid it at the health club and treadmill. Got a pain mid thigh from the femur implant. Surgeon told me to slow down for a month. I did. Pain free at 6 months now at a year and I forget I had it done 66 year old male with posterior LTHR. BEST of luck and hang in there
  • Posted

Im so so sorry you are still in pain. You sound really fed up.

Im not so bad with pain with my operated hip, just some time but

Still is not so bad like you. My opsite hip now giving me terrible

pain and in low back even i put insole in my shoes.

Can you take more days off from work? May be you have some inflammation and you shouldbo back to doctor and find out .

I know heeling take time but you still in to much pain.

Try water exercise maybe this will help you. From taday

temperature hit 36C plus for a few days here i will feel my hips.

Take it easy , try be positive and think pain eventualy pass and

sun will shine again.

Big hug Madla 💗🌹?

• Posted

Oo madla I could not stand that heat! Rainy Wales in the Uk is what I am used to tho my nephew is emigrating to Oz this year. My other hip is ok thank god and yes I am going to go swimming as you only get 6 physios appointments here in Uk.Trying to be positive and swearing at the hip--a lot ! lol xx
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, today temperature hit 41 C and my hip wasn't happy

at all. Hurt and get litle bit swollen. Sharp pain in hip and leg

Im swearing at my hip lots taday. Im lucky with physio 3 to 6

weeks and if I need anything I can ring physio. I went public

hospital and that what i got from hospital after 6 weeks after operationm.The hospital when i have op. have big swimming pool

and gym . I did take some painkillers today as well because pain

Some time i feel im worst now then before op specialy with limp

i did not limp before op only sometimes when i have lots of pain

Sorry about my complain im just little bit down. I should make

you feel better and im doing oposite. Keep positive and we will

you will better soon. Big hug Madla ?💗

• Posted

See, now you are just showing off Madla. If you want weather, it's 5 degrees here. I'll do a swap for 41 any day of the week! 

But just hang in there. You know that you've had some good days and seen big improvements. The setbacks are small compared to the distance you've already traveled. It's still early days. Don't expect too much of yourself.

• Posted

Hi Beth , if is about 30 C is ok but 41is to much. This year the

weather is really funny, few days hot and then temperature

is going down to 24 C. You are welcome to come any time, plenty rooms here. I know I have some days really good and some day not so good. I know still early days but sometimes i expected to much from me. Today i just have bad day,little bit down ,pain in

hip and leg, oposite hip hurt as well. Walk with limp and today

even worse. Im positive it will get better it is just bad day today.

Anyway i stop complain and now how you doing? I hope ok.

Thank you for nice wards i feel better olredy Beth. Hug Madla 💗?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.