So worried now!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, im a 20 year old female and suffer from tonsilitis every year round winter time. i had tonsilitis just before christmas and then noticed a lump of the front right side of my neck. I went to my doctor and he suspects this is a thyroid nodule? The side of my neck where the lump is feels fuller and bigger than the other side. I had blood tests to rule out any thyroid problems but it all came back clear. My tonsils are still red and swollen but with no white spots. I'm waiting for an appointment for an ultrasound on my neck but I'm so worried i have cancer or something! the lump hasnt changed in size since i first noticed it and symptoms have stayed the same e.g neck aches on and off, sometimes difficulty swallowing and ocasional loss of appetite but that may because im so worried? please help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had to respond as you state you are worried that you have cancer. Do you have any other symptoms such as night sweats and fevers that come and go? And struggling to walk very far. My neice has Hodkinson lymphoma and these were the symptoms she is 25 and it took over 2 months to diagnose her. Was GP fault. A blood test will rule it out. But if you haven't then chances are it's harmless x
    • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your neice. I haven't had night sweats, fevers or struggling to walk far. I've literally just had difficulty swallowing which comes and goes it feels like its my tonsils which are making it difficult to swallow. Neck ache on and off and loss of appetite sometimes. My Dr reffered me for an ultrasound on the 5th Jan and I've still heard nothing!
  • Posted

Hello Xjadex:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

Tonsils can be infected repeatedly and in some people you need to have them removed.  They are lymph tissue and as we age they get infected more easily.  I had mine removed when I was 34 and am now 54.

Thyroid cancer is rare!  I have 3 nodules myself. They can come from infections, or be cyst like and contain a bloody cellular fluid, and some can be from scar tissue.

Some people grow them, and the Ultrasound will show the size and shape.  I have 3 under 1 inch and I had a biopsy and they are okay.

So do not worry most nodules are NOT CANCEROUS at all.  If the nodules press on your throat they can remove the lobe of the thyroid they are on by surgery.

Regards, and any questions just ask.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.