Social anxiety disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I feel like I'm stuck at the moment. I have social anxiety disorder but I don't feel like I can get better until I have more friends, but how can I get new friends if I'm constantly anxious about what people think of me and whether they like me?!

As adults, how do we make new friends without it coming across as weird? It feels like everyone already has lots, and I'm left wondering why would they be interested in getting to know me anyway :-(

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If someone doesnt like you the way you are they arent friend material anyway.You are just as good as anyone else.dont forget that.Hold your head high,be nice,be genuine and try and makeyourself talk to at least one person a day..you will get friends.
  • Posted

Hi becca...it is awful to feel so insecure..I was always the same...

Have you made any friends at work ? Or maybe live locally?

The best way is to find an interest ....or two......do you like to Swim.....Cycle.....Jog.....Play squash.....

Personally Sketching the countryside.....Train spotting......Kite flying...... in fact any !! Kind of activity whereas .....you meet people who could be friends or even more....if you are in a social group with the same aim and enjoyment...

Quite often a relationship can start..without any awkward silences....I wish you lots of happiness and fun.....hugs for you...Dee xx

• Posted

Hi Becca.  I know how you feel.  I'm quite the lone wolfette myself.  I think too much about what others are thinking and it's hard to put myself out there.
  • Posted

Its never to late to make new friends every one wants new friends all the time and u should never allow anyone opinion affect you ever god is good he is the only judge
  • Posted

I am speaking from experience here.I had same situation.I felt like others had something I didnt. Much social anxiety.Volunteer(dont work too hard ,get to know everyone) or begin joining public activities.make many aquaintances.Do not divulge too much personal information at first.get them to talk about themself while complimenting them on their attributes .Be supportive,if they seem down.Remember to relaxation breathe .Just while you are in conversation take note if you are holding your breathe.Smile a lot,and maintain a sincere eye contact.If you show you are interested they will always look forward to see you.Then you have the power to decide if they are friend material.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. 

The thing is I'm not in the right headspace to make friends when I'm at work as I'm so busy and I get so stressed out. But when I try and do new things like join a yoga class, or a mindfulness class, I just don't make new friends. I just stay quiet in the breaks and don't know what to talk to people about. It's so frustrating. And also when I'm out with my boyfriends friends, I'm always the quiet one of the group. They all know each other and are all confident successful people, and I feel inadequate and again I just don't know what to say. I don't like all the attention being on me if I'm in a group of people so I don't want to talk, but I'm fine one on one. I'm worried that his family and friends just think I'm boring or don't like me, and he says they do, but that I just need to show my personality more, which then makes me more paranoid :-(

• Posted

I understand.If you feel more comfortable one on one while you are on a break introduce yourself .It feels risky but most people will talk a little.If you see somebody approachable or seems nice watch how they are in doing the yoge .Compliment them on a position that they do and let it roll. .You will get better at this.Maybe you dont have a lot in common with bf friends.Ask people in yoga class if they want to go for health food or health drink after class.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.