Soft seat????

Posted , 10 users are following.

Was told not to sit on soft seats ie my comfy chairs as hip could go out of line . Nearly five weeks post op and wondering if I could sit on soft seat if raised. Butt sore on ot chair.

Such a silly question to be asking with all the people in pain on this forum but where else could I ask cos I can be sure someone here had discussed this. Review 11 days time hooray. Maybe restrictions will be lifted.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Funny, we're all told something slightly different. I have been laid/sat on my sofa from when I came out of hospital. I was told it was okay as long as someone helped me up. My dining chair was the official 'right height' but I found it too hard and my bum hurt so used a great big squashy cushion with it. I now, at 4 weeks, sit anywhere apart from the floor but make sure I get up properly and have dispensed with the loo seat and bath board. I make sure I don't break the angle rule but other than that I do what is comfortable.
    • Posted

I do have soft pillows so must put one on chair.. I have a carver for kitchen table . right height not much padding. I would attempt the sofa. First day nurse was going to change dressing on wound she said lie down on sofa but I would nt chance it.
  • Posted

Hi I was also told not to sit on low, squidgy seats like sofas as they might 

a) make me go less than 90 degrees

b) have my knee higher than my hip

c) be hard/impossible to get out of

Personally I think softer seats are fine as long as you have height that will allow you to sit up (rtaher han be doubled up) and have your knee below your hip.  I borrowed an 'old people's home' style chair from my in-laws and in fact my home office chair is the most comfy of all - I can raise the height to the max and have it slightly tilted forward.  Great for the dining table.

• Posted

Never thought of that. My office chair is onn

wheel so prob notva good idea. Occupational therapy chair is probably home for older people style chair.

When dob you have restrictions relaxed?

• Posted

Well I can lock the wheels so OK cool

I am seeing my consultant on Monday so am hoping to get some or all restrictions lifted next week.....

I was lucky that the in-laws also had a raising device for the upright chair, to get it up to the height that I needed.... (see pic)

• Posted

Oh happy days.OT one nothing like that. Fake leather very little padding and slippy. Fell asleep on it first day and nearly slid off. Put some of that grippy stuff for under mats on it. See you have the remote beside you. Those wee things so important in early days when getting upnis a mission
  • Posted

its really no wonder there is so much confusion about post op do's and donts. i was told so long as my chair was high enough I could sit whereever and on whatever i pleased. they really need to come up with a standard set of post op rules
    • Posted

Yesci totally agree. And it would also be good to have some milestones. The only milestone I got were 2 crutches 5 weeks 1 crutch week before review. No suggestions about how farctobwalk etc but then I suppose we are all so different that milestones could cause overdoing in some cases.
    • Posted

Far to walk that should read. Forget my spaces at times.
  • Posted

The answer to your prayers and everyone elses for seating is to order a pad from a company called homescape - they do seat pads for chairs and armchairs. Have bought them for me, mother in law too and used loads. The old lady buttons fall off them but they are firm and do not squish under your weight. The chair ones come with ties for the back of dining chairs and I tie mine together to make a handle. I travel everywhere with mine - train, meals out etc as well as using it at home.

Lots of colours and fabric finishes - and around £12 each. My osteopath had them in his waiting room so I just copied him. 

You will never ever regret this spend - pm me if you want the url.

From a second time around hipster whose had the cushions for 2 years....xxx

• Posted

Looked on their web page. There is a square cushion with buttons but it is called a floor cushion. 19 .99 down to 9/99. Is this it
    • Posted

SEARCH THIS DESCRIPTION- DINING CHAIR BOOSTER CUSHION.

THE WEBSITE IS RUBBISH BUT THE PRODUCT IS GREAT XXXX

• Posted

Yes I have these too

the dining chair one has ties as you say and I have got an armchair one that comes with a material handle that you can carry it with

Had from Coopers website in  Uk

Linda xx

• Posted

Hi attractac

I am sitting on my comfy recliner now at 5 weeks (shhhh)  and my angle is probably 90 degrees but I don't sit in it for very long.  Probably lie down more than sit in it wink

I also got rid of my raised toilet seat today as I go back to work next week and I'm certainly not going to be taking that in with me!!

Also had my first trip to the shops walking without my crutch, limping a little but felt pretty good.  I got a new pair of sneakers obviously with a lot more support than my other shoes and it's amazing the difference they have made to my gait.

My review is on Monday and I'm hoping that my restrictions will be lifted also, can't wait to get my independence back!

Gaylene

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.