soluble or non-soluble fiber ????

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been suffering chronic constipation lately I just needed to know in case of constipation should I consume soluble or non soluble fibers ??? 

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, can't advise re fibre, but I find a daily probiotic helps, and the best tip is to sit with your feet on something so that your knees are higher than your hips ~ that gives the best position for evacuation!
    • Posted

Thanks alot 

true probiotics do help but I get horrible bloating from yogurt and I tried pills and they don't do me any use which tyoe do u recommend ??

• Posted

Probiotics and prebiotics are good. A lot of foods have both soluble and insoluble fibres in them which are good. Also have you tried prune juice?
    • Posted

yeah I actually did and it's a good stimulator but It causes me to loose many fluids through my bowel and I'm not in favor of that I'de rather regulate my bowel movements through a balanced diet cos I'm still loosing weight 
  • Posted

There are a few causes. Could be medication, could be meta ohysical meaning you are stressed and cant let go of something or someone, could  be dehydrated, not enough fiber. Usually it is diet. Make sure you are drinking at least 64 inces kf water and they sell fiber gummies or fiber. Probitoics are helpful to some but not sure to poop. Lots of salads and fiber and water and it should get better. Magnesium citrate 400mg is quite useful too. Your body will absorn what it needs which is nice and then the side effect is going to the bathroom.
  • Posted

Hi, Metamucil is completely natural and is great...added to juice or water..have orange flavored) in addition to drinking 64 oz of water or naturally flavored water (slices of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, strawberries, etc added). Magnesium Oxide is also a wonderful natural supplement that has a subtle laxative effect.
  • Posted

Hi, Metamucil is completely natural and is great...added to juice or water..have orange flavored) in addition to drinking 64 oz of water or naturally flavored water (slices of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, strawberries, etc added). Magnesium Oxide is also a wonderful natural supplement that has a subtle laxative effect.
    • Posted

People should not use Metamucil if they have severe constipation, also they should be careful if they are taking any other tablets. You can always check with the pharmacist.
    • Posted

Hi, she has said that she would rather regulate her bowel movements through a regular diet, in which metamucil, being psyllium, completely natural, has been perfecf for those I know who have had serious constipation, and was recommended by their physicians as a way to regulate them, without side effects of losing water and nutrients. The magnesium is a nutritional supplement that by nature sometimes has subtle softening of stools.
    • Posted

She has also described her condition as a chronic problem, which I was hoping to address, rather than severe, as you have stated, which may or may not be what she is describing. Metamucil which is natural psyllium was miraculous for regulating chronic and daily constipation for close family members. I have also used this for shorter term, when having daily regular problems, and it was extremely beneficial.
    • Posted

Described by the OP above as "a chronic problem lately" rather than severe, as you have referenced
    • Posted

I was just quoting warnings from the NHS about Metamucil.  I do actually take magnesium for other reasons and have found that it does work as a mild laxative. 
    • Posted

Hi, can you post the link to this? I have been researching this and cant find anything at all about this..thanks so much.
    • Posted

I am afraid I have it has hard copy, but if you look on the drugs website that should mention it too.
    • Posted

Can you tell me the name of the hard copy...i have searched extensively, and do not find any such warnings on the all natural metamucil. All I find is that one should be sure to stay well hydrated.
    • Posted

I haven't a clue what the document was callled however if you look on drugs, webmd or others, it says to watch out for blockages and also to check if you are taking other drugs. If you read the book Trick or Treatment quite a lot is mentioned about natural products in general. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Metamucil, but anyone taking any product should always check that it does not affect any other drugs they are taking and tell their doctor they are taking it.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I am guessing if someone has 'severe' conscription, there could be something serious going on that needs further investigation. Something such as a blockage, growth, etc.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! Also, with help from the moderator, a link has been posted about where to find the warnings for "severe constipation" and Metamucil. Further investigation by a physician needs to happen if this is the case, as there could be serious things such as a blockage, or other, that needs special attention.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Moderator, you are much better than I am at searching!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.