Some Answers For Some Of You

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've posted here a few times. (So sorry for the repeat info)....I've been dealing with Shingles issues since March 7, 2016. I had the usual symptoms. The outbreak was on the right side of my forehead. I was flat on my back for 4 weeks and slowly began recovering. 

My doctor was (and still is) helpless in terms of knowing what to do other than giving me the anitvirials. The medical community in general doesn’t know what to do with those of us who continue to battle this. 

For many weeks and months the main issue I was having was bad cramping in the hips and upper legs. That symptom has slowly begun to heal and I'm having less bouts. About 4 weeks ago, I was sitting on my sofa and had a massive stabbing ice-pick pain shoot through my left cheek and up through to the left side of my head. I was impaired for hours. I knew there was something going on but I didn't go to the hospital. Soon after that I began to have stabbing pain that would last a few seconds in the back left of my head follow by massive about of pressure, like a vice grip. I became nauseous, the corner of my left eye, cheek and a small spot on my left arm became numb. This has continued for several weeks. 

I went to my doctor and again, he was at a loss. He was sticking by 'the book'..."shingles is self limiting, it stays on one side of the body and doesn't cross over".....keep in mind my shingles was on the right side of my forehead and now all my symptoms are on the left. So he said he can't make the correlation. 

He referred me to a Neurologist. FINALLY, this guy had some answers for me. He told me that the virus CAN in fact get into the spinal column and cross over and he said thats what happened to me. That the virus (As Merry always says) gets in our entire blood stream. 

He said the virus has caused inflammation on my spine and thats whats causing my symptoms. And it can take up to six months or more for things to fully heal. He ordered an MRI of my Cervical spinal column and an MRI of my brain. The Cervical test showed narrowing in the C-4, 5, 6, & 7. The brain scan showed several white spots which he wasn’t concerned about but it also showed a larger white spot that was 1 centimeter in circumference in the EXACT area where I had the sharp pain. 

So I hope this will bring some hope or possible answers for those of you who experience strange, out of the norm symptoms. 

Now when I experience the numbness, I at least know why and where and hopefully am on the road to recovery thought it may be long. 

Good luck to everyone out there…this is an ugly virus that needs to be explored further.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am a newbie and I just had my first bout of shingles.  It has been a week since I have been out of the house.  I probably have a milder case, if there is such a thing, than most,  Every post on this discussion board brings me hope and insight.  I have been told that a good diet, adequate rest, and stress reduction are all good starting points (all difficult for me).  I am going to the herbalist this week for my remaining symptoms. 

It is nice to see that you have taken a systemic approach. Thank you for sharing your experience with the neurologist as this may help many.  I may have to explore this avenue as well.

• Posted

Dear Thedwp...

I am so so sorry you are having such major problems. I am glad you saw a competent neurologist who knew what imaging tests to order. It certainly doesn't help the pain and other symptoms to diminish any faster, but it certainly is great to know the cause.

I hope the ice pick pain is a distant memory.

I'm not sure if I know where you live. I live in Delaware, United States.

Always great to hear from you, although I am saddened but this recent development.

Best wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am so sorry for all you're going through.  It would be nice if doctors could be more broad-minded/not so narrow-minded. We patients actually know our bodies probably better than anyone.

Thank you so much for this info.  I had a very mild case on my right thigh , took the antiviral. The antiviral made me sicker and weaker than the shingles. When I asked my doctor, he said "You must have picked up a flu virus."  As I chewed on that comment, I thought: "Wait! I'm taking an antiviral. How could I have a virus?"  When I emailed him this epiphany, he stuck to his reasoning that my inability to keep food in my body was not due to the anti-viral. When I told him the only pain I had was slight and on my left side, he said the same as yours. Your post makes me think I should see my neurologist. Does this white spot have a name??

Did you have the vaccine before your outbreak?

Thanks, and get better!

Bette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.