Some pain, some bleeding

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm 70 yrs old and 12 days since my turp surgery.  Spent one night in the hospital with a cath that was removed the next morning before leaving the hospital.   At times my urine is almost clear and other times it looks a dark pink.  Sometimes a few drops of what looks like blood when finishing up.  Most times a burning pain at the begining and end of urniation.  No sex yet, haven't tried, haven't wanted to.  I still get up frequently during the night and go allot during the day.  I think most of that it due to the massive amount of water I drink.  Was told to drink lots of water to keep things flushed out, it works.  Before turp it was very hard for me to pee at night and if I had been sitting too long, I don't have that problem now and the stream is way better than it was prior to turp.  I do tend to drip before and after urination, I do wear protection (depends) so not to soil my clothes.  So far I am happy I had the procedure, hope I still feel that way months from now.  I see the Doc in 18 days, I hope all is going as it should.

1 like, 203 replies

203 Replies

Next
  • Posted

12 days is a very short time. I had my Holep 6 weeks ago and i now feel almost in control again. I usually sleep through the night now i have reduced my water intake to normal. So be patient and wait for things to improve, which i hope they will.
  • Posted

How much are you drinking ? When I told my Uro that I was drinking 3 litres a day he said that was too much. Though I suppose if you lived in a hot climate that would be a reasonable ammount. 
    • Posted

Joe is wise to drink plenty.  I found after my Holep if I didn't keep drinking a bit each time i got up to pee at night, it became ultra-painful to pee, instead of just somewhat painful.  Only for the first 2 weeks though, then the pain stopped quite suddenly.  You are peeing through a cut urethra - it was cut to get at the prostate - and strong urine hurts more.  3 litres does sound maybe a little too much, but drinking plenty is also vital to prevent infection - it means infection can't take hold.  I don't think 3 litres would do any harm, if feel overdoing it, have a little marmite on toast to keep the salt up (that, salt, is the thing that can become a problem for those drinking too much, mainly an issue when people feel they have to drink tonnes of water when running in the heat, and actually overdo it ...)

• Posted

Our American readers may find Marmite difficult to get. Another benefit of it is that it keeps mosquitos away from you. I took it for a couple of weeks but decided that I would sooner be bitten:-)

It is a very aquired taste.

• Posted

So far so good. Nothing unusual. Just keep us posted. I am 6 months after TURP and would like to compare...I am 76 and I suspect my age got in the way. You are younger, in your case the results may be better than for me, which I wish you. I don't have urine retention, but developed incontinence at night. All the best Zdzislaw

• Posted

So far no incontinence, I go frequently through the day and night but I drink alot after every go.  I hope you nightly incontinence doesn't continue, good luck to you.

• Posted

Should see blood for 4 to 6 weeks or so. It will stop. Clots, tissue, scabs. All normal. Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you all for the good wishes, I'm sure things will improve as time goes on.  What I'm am feeling is probably normal.  Have not measured how much water I have been drinking, I may come close to the three litres a day.  I'll start keeping track this evening and report back tomorrow evening.  It does keep me in the bathroom every 45 minutes or so, sometimes sooner.  I live in central Texas USA, cool this time of year so heat is not an issue.

• Posted

Thanks for the report Joe. I wish you well and hope you'll continue to share your progress.

John

• Posted

Hi Joe, Glad to hear the good news about Turp surgery. Did you have urine retention before surgery?I'm 87 and have many fears about this ?Thanks for your info.

• Posted

Yes when waking from a sleep at times almost impossible to pee.  Up and around during the day not so much unless I had been sitting too long
    • Posted

I only had my big flow rate improvement post-HOLEP at end of week 3 -  you are only day 14 or so right ?.  Holep is very like TURP.  I am young (50 now) and it was a small 22cc prostate.  So this may not generalise well.  But, first two weeks pain peeing, modest flow. No bleeding.  Week 3, all pain ceased but shedding blood then clots, final day of week 3 came 2 alarmingly large clots !!, intermittently better flow.  Week 4, end of clots, end of all bleeding, miraculous improvement in flow, mostly good ever since.  Hit the back of the pan type flow.  Measured at 36 ml/second, fill a 200ml paper cup in say 6 seconds.  Still a frequency issue, that didn't go away until end week 14, by which time I only got up once a night, maybe twice.  I was still drinking fluids up to evening - habit hard to break.  Early last month I got a weird stomach issue, GORD, no big deal, winded feeling after eating or drinking near bedtime.  Had to stop all drink after 6pm.  Pleasingly, an outcome is I sleep right through many nights, or only get up once.  Flow rate still good.  They do say you only really know where you stand after these prostate ops, a YEAR on.  Full stabilisation is slow. My urologist said the stricture thing, if you are going to get it, is within first 2 months.  3% or so I think get that, so it's unlucky if you do.  I do empty completely, I'm sure, but only pee 250 ml to 370 ml each time.  So I try to hold on a little longer, to encourage my bladder to fill more; maybe capacity can be increased a little.  Not that it matters, my mean time between pees is massive now compared to before the op.  Many hours sometimes. 

• Posted

NB I had minor drip incontinence after the op.  From week 6 or so, no drip at all, unlike before the op - only ever minor before, but now a completely clean ending to each pee.  So with luck, you end up there, too
    • Posted

Frank, have you had TURP? I am 76 and became incontinent after TURP, it is not clear to me why. I wouls like at least to understand!
    • Posted

Hi, No i did not get Turp. My urologist wanted me t o do this, instead i started self cath. I'm 87 years  and don't know if i want to have this done. I wish i had an answer why you are incontinent.,you should ask your urologist.How long ago did you have the surgery?

• Posted

When they do TURP they must be careful around the bladder neck and nerves.
    • Posted

Same applies to GL and other procedures.The hospital that did mine made a point of doing that.
    • Posted

It all depends on the doctor some do take there time but there are others that just go in and cut away started at the bladder neck..  Which they distrory  Ken 
    • Posted

I could be wrong but I thought it was BELOW the prostate where, if they muck up, you are rendered incontinent, as the urinary control sphincter is there.  I believe the risk of being mucked up there, is said to be slightly higher with greenlight than with the other de-core operations - I don't know why. 

• Posted

I know the bladder knock is a no fly zone sort of thing. Was told by doc it's best to stay away from it cause of risk of incontinence. Think it's a nerve thing

• Posted

what is the "stricture thing"?   I didn't see it referenced in previous posts, but may have missed it.  I had TURP 2 weeks ago, so wondering if this is something to watch for.   Tks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.