Some questions about hydrocelectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im 15 years old and next January ill be having an operation on my non-communicating hydrocele which is about the size of an egg this os my first surgery ever, so i an full of questions.

I am wondering:

What is the pain like post op?

What is the scar like and how long will it take for it to go away?

How bad does the swelling get?

Thank you so much for any replies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The swelling will last a month .. first week and half is hell ...since the swelling is intense...you are young don't worry... as far as getting cut ....direct on sac of testicle... I have two bilateral hydroceles both sides and doctor said no surgery for me cause they are small but they due hurt athe times...
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. If i may, can i ask what kind of medication they put you on after the operation, and also did you have the surgery on an outpatient or inpatient basis? Because apparently i have to spend a night in hospital..
  • Posted

Hi, My son was 19 and it was about the size of an egg too. The operation was good and he only needed to take panadol for about 3-5 days, though he did walk around like he had been riding a horse for a few days.  He tells me the scar is gone so I wouldnt worry too much about scar. Swelling was not too bad. Some people ice but he didn't. What I did buy him was a doughnut cushion from the chemist for the ride home and travelling in the car and sitting down at home. You will be so happy after the operation as your freedom of movement will be a lot better.
  • Posted

The Hydrocele that I had was the size of a softball.  They drained about a quart or 100 c.c.'s of fluid from it.  Ice was my best friend in staying comfortable.  I took pain killers wth codiene for 48 hous, and stopped because they caused constipation.  Over the counter pain killers after that.  I had wound seepage for about a day from the drain that they had inserted.  Walking for the first few days was awkward, but not exceedinly painful.  The drain was removed 4 days after the procedure, and I returned to my regular daily routine within a week of surgery.  ISurgery was done out patient 3 months ago.  No current swelling, and no irritation from the scar which by now has just about disappeared.  Good luck, and you will feel more comfortable after it is all over.  I am 66 years old, and other than catarac surgery, it is the first time I had been operated om.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.