Son with pet allergy

Posted , 5 users are following.

My eight-year-old son has pet allergy ,but his tests came up negative. Anyone ever have this problem?

We used to have a dog, but we got rid of her, and he felt so much better! He is getting sick this year in school as his reactions to pet dander have gotten worse. He now gets hives, post nasal drip, nausea, and red itchy eyes.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How is he getting sick? Do you still have pets at home? dogs? cats?

• Posted

Our daughter has a very very bad dog allergy. She has been in the ER just from what kids at school have on them from home. She carries an epi pen and we have to stay away from all places that have a dog or have had a dog in them. She is good around cats, horses, and all other animals. Her recent blood test show she is getting worse. It all started when she was 9 months old. 

Has the doctor done blood test or skin test?

• Posted

Where were the tests conducted eg was in a hospital or allergy clinic. What method was used to test. I'm wondering if your son may have multiple allergies too. 

When my children  were young I had similar problems. They were tested by a hospital and the results were negative. I then went where they used the provocation and neutralisation technique. There were multiple allergies including animal dander, certain foods and chemicals. What I am wondering is it possible these allergies are not just contained to pets and what they're eating but other exposures too causing these reactions? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.