Sooo Stiff

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am 10 weeks PO after TKR I am doing ok but I am really struggling with stiffness of my knee, some days it feels like I ante Yong to walk with a block of wood in my knee and no matter how much PT I do it doesn't seem to get any better. I elevate , use ice and do everything I am supposed to do ... if I rest and elevate too much it stiffens up , if I exercise too much it stiffens up , if I walk too much it stiffens up, I just can't seem to win

Any advise x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

** sorry predictive text I meant to say feels like I am trying to walk with a block of wood
  • Posted

I'm 4 weeks post bilateral TKR and my right knee feels the same as yours. My left lnee is much less stiff. I'm doing PT and trying to do bending st home (trying) and I walk but still stiff. What's up with this??

• Posted

Hi

I can only say at 10 weeks I too had stiffness, but from 10 weeks it improved every week.

Is your knee still hot or burning?

I did not do very much PT too much pain.

Hot baths helped me.

Good healing

• Posted

Hazel 9 weeks post op. I get the same thing. I usually get it horribly after physical therapy. Sometimes I sit on edge of bed, feet placed on floor in straight line. (Not one foot in front of the other) and I stand up without holding onto anything. I do this 2-3 times in a morning and if that doesn't help I rest my leg as much as possible and elevate. I have noticed that mine is definitely from brutal physical therapy or if I overdo it with home excercises but the biggest culprit is walking too much for me.

I wake up slightly stiff every morning (Groundhog Day) and once I get up and move a little it resolves. I however know the solid wooden block leg you are referring to.

• Posted

Thanks for input. Nice to know not alone regarding this!!!
  • Posted

Hazel.

I am over 3 years right tkr and still have a few stiff days, esp if I don't down anything. With the right I was back to 100 % with the first year.

Now I'm 3 months post from left tkr. It's has some night pains when sleeping and numbness from the nerves. But can say very little to no pain when up and moving around. Only issue I have is calf stays swollen through out the day.

Just hang in there it will get better

• Posted

Hi..I'm 17 weeks post op for right tkr. I still have swelling (you can for 12 months). Still stiff most days, I totally get the piece of wood comment..my GP says it is totally normal, as there is a lot of healing taking place underneath the scar. Trust me it does take time, but you will get there. Keep up the PT and the walking.

Good luck

• Posted

See my previous reply. I just thought of a good analogy! My leg is like an old car that struggles to start on winter mornings!

Every morning is basically the same. Wake up stiff. I have to come up with all sorts of tricks to try and loosen it up before it gets going. Same deal after sitting for a while.

I know your post is about the "wooden leg" though. Do you take anti inflammatory? I do feel like I get wooden leg less since I started Ibuprofen.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replys Guys, looks like I'm stuck with my block of wood for a while yet then ??

• Posted

Hi Hazel

Yeah all pretty normal. It will lessen with time. Just carry on doing what you should be. Just remember not to overdo any of those things that bring on stiffness.

You're in this for the long haul.

Be more tortoise, less hare.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.