Soooo tired!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with PR last week.

I got my 'Mother Patch' on the back of my leg about 5 weeks ago, after being on holiday. I went to the docs and they said it was ringworm and I was prescribed with some cream. About a week and a half after that I started noticing patches on my chest and back which have spread quite rapidly. I also noticed that I have been feeling a lot more tired than usual. I went back to the docs shortly after and they told me I had PR. I had never even heard of it! They gave me a print out of what it was and how long it may last etc. I was horrified to see that there was no cure!! sad

After reading some of the experiences on here I was slightly relieved to hear that I was not on my own. Although I'm worried about how bad this will get and how long it may last.

I'm 26 and work in a school so have just started a new term which has been quite stressful. Plus some other bits and bobs that have happened over the summer which I think will have contributed to my stress levels. This I believe could be linked to my PR.

I have some cream to help with any itching but I have also started to try Head and Shoulders shampoo as a body wash as described by some other sufferers. I have only been using it for the last couple of days so have not really noticed any major changes yet although my 'Mother patch' seems less red than it has been. I will keep trying!

The tiredness seems to be my biggest problem at the mo, although the rash is unsightly!. If anyone has experienced this or has any ideas on how to help this that would be great!

Good Luck to you all!! smile

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi!

i also really struggled with the tiredness! i thought doing gentle exercise might help boost my energy a bit but it made me feel even worse ( and made the rash sting!). In the end i started taking berocca (effervescent vitamin tablets - super strong but not bad for you). they really helped. my rash has gone now (took about 5 weeks and sunbeds were the only thing that worked!) but i do still feel tired, not as much as i did, but a bit like the tiredness you get when you are fighting of a cold.

i would recommend the berocca and taking things as easy as possible....early nights!

• Posted

Good news!! I have started to notice an improvement in my PR rash. I'm not sure what it is that has helped or whether or not it has just run its course and is starting to clear by itself. I have continued to use Head and Shoulders and instead of cream I have been using Calomine lotion.

The patches have faded considerably and are barely noticeable in places now. I am hoping that a sunny trip to spain in 3 weeks time will clear it up completely if it hasn't already gone by then.

Vitamin C has been good to relieve some of the tiredness and a session of reiki (if thats how ya spell it) has definately helped me to relax.

• Posted

Hi Manxie,

Yep tiredness .... to be honest i have been on a 3 day week since June ..

My PR started i think in July along with aching joints then followed by a red almost blister like spot about 3cm Aug 9th just below my coller bone followed by a spreading rash down the righthand side and down my right arm then spreading further to my left side coller bone and down my left hand side only as far as my stomach then up to my face .

I have been exhausted ever since July

I really have struggled with fatigue but its beginning to subside now , this has been the first week i have noticed the rash beginning to fade also .

From what i can gather from my own symptoms when the rash really began on my face i started feeling a little faint at times also , im not sure if the feeling faint was to do with PR or the fact i was feeling so shatterd.

Other symtoms for me also included a strange taste in the back of my mouth. A dull headache to my right temple before the rash appeard a day later over my eyebrow and below my right eye.....this could have been coincedence or because i felt so tired who knows.

I delayed going to my GP until the end of Aug i just thought it was a Vitimin definciency.

My GP recognised it straight away and smiled then took out one of his old medical books to confim his diagnosis but warning me that there is no cure and you have to let nature take its course .... anywhere from 4 to 16 or 20 weeks which sucks , although im glad to say i think just think im over the worst of it and think it might be nearly over although i thought that a few weeks ago only to find it reared its ugly head again

Prior to me catching this virus i was doing 60 to 70 hour weeks in quite a stressful job of which i too belive could have helped me fall foul of this Virus .

I hope you get over it soon and although its not pleasent Virus ive foud reading others accounts pretty fascinating a the symtoms can vary so widly................Take care Chris

[b:73d3bbed78]PS please forgive the spelling and rambling of this reply its 4am lol[/b:73d3bbed78]

• Posted

I'm freeeeeeee! no more rash and or side affects!

I'm so glad to tell you all that I have finally got rid of this horrible virus or whatever it is! I am completely clear or the rash including my huge Herald patch, which was the last thing to go.

I don't know what worked, if anything but I have just come back from Spain and the small amount of sun that we did have managed to clear the last of my rash. Prior to that the Calomine lotion and Head and Shoulders Shampoo combination seemed to help alot.

I cant tell you how pleased I am to be finally rid of it! fingers crossed it's the last i see of this horrrible thing!

Good luck to everyone in their recovery!

:-) xx

• Posted

At 37 I was diagnosed with PR. I've noticed when the patches after the mother patch appear, I become very tired. Sometimes I don't want to get out of bed. But there is no cure and all we can do is push through it.

The day I was diagnosed, 10 others before me were diagnosed the same day.

• Posted

I know this is an old post, but I appreciate reading it. I was officially diagnosed with PR last week. I'm 42 years old and have many of the same symptoms. Tired, taste buds in the back of my mouth were tingling, like the feeling you get eating something sour. Definitely a headache that Tylenol and ibuprofen doesn't help, plus the itching. I received my diagnosis 2 weeks in and glad to see I'm not alone. Reading these stories of other people's journey have given me hope!

• Posted

Hi Julsstl,

I was so freaked out initially. The patches were all over my back, stomach, thighs and butt. Now I get a few patches on my butt and inner thigh. It's not always at season change as some say. I've noticed them a few weeks after moments of high stress. 

Just FYI, I was told PR will also give you a false positive for HSV2. 

I'm glad I could help. It's good to know we are not alone. smile

• Posted

I just remembered, I've found something that helps speed up recovery time. Sunshine and regular exercise. Im not sure if it's because it keeps the stress levels down but it works for me. 

• Posted

How long after you started getting some sunshine did your PR start to clear up? Also does it help the itching I can hardly sleep at night for the itching. 
    • Posted

Hi Jac,

I believe most of the flare ups are linked to stress. Just as herpes simplex 2 is.  Anjie is right, it is in the family of herpes. I believe it’s HSV 6 or 8. The sunshine and outdoor exercise aid in decreasing stress and it helps me. Instead of weeks, I’m clear in about a week. The more regularly I work out the less I itch and see patches. 

• Posted

Hi Alicia, thanks for your reply yeah I do a lot of regular exercise, yeah so far the only thing I've noticed that helps at all is Sunbeds, as there isn't any sunshine where I live unfortunately, I'm taking some remedies form the health store including l-lysine and elderberry medicine hopefully see some results soon as I'm into my 7th week with this now!! 

• Posted

Well I am starting to see mine clear up.  Minor itching; no where near as bad as it initially was.  Calamine lotion did the trick for me in drying the patches up.  It been about a 4 week journey so far and it's comforting to know that the testimonials were true of you all.  I guess everyone feels like they're going to have that one unique situation where they will be the worst case scenario and will end up somebody's guinea pig, but I'm glad that didn't happen to me.  Things are starting to look normal again.  Just let it run its course.

• Posted

Any advice would be great! 

I've had PR for 6 weeks now just seems to be getting worse and worse the doctors have gave me lots of tablets creams including steroid creams it seemed to be working but now it's all came back so tired and itchy all the time I've started using head and shoulders body wash doesn't seem to help any other tips? 

• Posted

Hi Jac  sorry to hear that you've been suffering so long .  I was diagnosed a week and a half ago .  .  My entire stomach chest and back was covered within 1 week .   I've spent hours and hours online researching  and I believe the healing is from inside the body as much as the outside .  I've been using the head and shoulders  as body wash every morning .  I did one session of tanning for six minutes ,  and I cover my affected area in zinc oxide 45% every night .  I'm also taking L-Lysine tablets and milk thisle . After being diagnosed by my dermatologist my next appointment was my natural pathic doctor .  She told me  I needed milk thistle to strengthen  my immune system and  clean out my liver to fight off the virus  . Also L lysine  is an amino acid that fights off  herpes Which is considered to be in the same family as pityriasis .  You can get the supplement at any health food store .  At this point I'm willing to try anything  .  I also believe stress is a huge factor in healing .  I'm also taking a mild  sedative before bed to help me get a good nights rest .  This past week I would wake up constantly throughout the night scratching .  Since I started using the zinc I don't have nearly as much itching .  Good luck to you I hope you recover soon 

• Posted

Hey Anjie thanks for the tips and advice, I've started on the Sunbeds and Also taking elderberry medicine and l-lysine tablets as I went to the health store and advised this would be the best treatment also read really good reviews online about these products. I've ordered prreze which is ment to help clear it up in 5 days still no sign of it though as I ordered it well over a week ago, I still get bad itching at night I've stopped using head and shoulders as I didn't think it worked for me just made it look worse, still to see results from the products I've bought I'm on my second week of taking all this so hopefully see results soon I've spend 100's on remedies in the last month!! 

• Posted

I just purchased an order preeze myself .  I've spent a small fortune and all the supplements creams  and tanning.   But if it works it's Worth every penny.  Went for my second session at the tanning bed today  I noticed the rash is drying out it's not as angry looking .  But still itchy as hell  grrrrrrrr. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.