Sore abdomen and flu like symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering with persistent unrelenting back ache for six months now which started as a pins and needles type sensation beneath my right shoulder blade in a very localised area. It has since then radiated across my entire lower back and now to my sides in the last month.

My sides (left is worse than right) ache, not painfully but more of a nagging sensation that feels almost like a tear or strain. I have also been experiencing flu like symptoms that seem to be worsening over time. I feel fatigued, shaky and weak in my legs and permanently thirsty.

When I wake up in the morning's I feel almost like I am hung over and my body feels hot on the inside whilst I feel cold on the outside.

In regards to bowel movements, I am going to the toilet two or three times a day and my stools are very loose and smelly (apologies for too much detail) and my stomach feels hot.

I have also noticed a slightly tender lump beneath my rib cage on the left hand side that feels almost like a swollen lymph node, it doesn't appear to be growing but is obviously causing me some alarm.

Does anyone have any insight into this laundry list of symptoms as I cannot get in to see my doctor until the 30th and the symptoms don't appear to be getting any better.

Many thanks

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

i  agree with Alison, dont wait till the 30th, go to a and e to get checked out, hope youll let us know how you went on, good luck
  • Posted

Hi simon06893

The permanent thirst may suggest diabetes. You should request a blood/glucose test from your doctor. I don't know if you are in the UK... if you are there are some chemists that will do a blood/glucose test on the spot and give you the results.

As the previous reply suggested go to A&E, if you mention your excessive thirst they will probably test your blood/glucose levels there.....best wishes for a speedy diagnosis.....

• Posted

Some of your symptoms sound like mine when I went to the ER in late January. Shaky, weakness, hot/cold, back pains, and the smelly stools. I was diagnosed with gallstones. Had my gallbladder removed earlier this month. Cured the back pains, but not a lot else. Usually gallbladder problems are right sided, and my issues were mainly left sided. I still am suffering with some nausea, little to no appetite, still losing weight, weakness, dizziness, insomnia, and weird head pressure/pain, that travels down behind head, into neck. Was also having chest pain and pressure, but not too much anymore. I've had tons of blood draws, slight differences in a couple areas, had chest X-rays, cardiac CTA, EKGs, and abdominal ultrasound, which is where they diagnosed my gallstones. If you are in very bad pain, I'd say go to ER(A&E), to get checked. Might be pancreas or liver. 
    • Posted

hi, It could be you have another problem with gall stones at the same time, l did, l,d interesticial cystitus symptoms, unknown diagnoses, but started with gall stones, think were more prone to some problems, such as gallstones, or with me, no stones, just gall b inflammation. Not that you symptoms sound like ic. but it could be something that doesnt show up on blood tests scans, such as fibromyalgia, most of your symptoms sound like that, or even cfs. Thuogh l,m sure if your nausea, loss of appetite and weight go on youll probably need to see a gastrologist, maybe gastritus.  Worth checking out those sort of conditions that wouldnt show up on blood tests, xrays. Hope you get sorted. 
    • Posted

I have a GI appointment in April. I do have something else going on, still have heartburn/gastric issues. Also, having a brain MRI tomorrow. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your concern 
    • Posted

That's the thing, the pain isn't particularly bad at all. If I were to place it on a pain scale with 10 being the most severe, I couldn't even say that it comes out at anything more than about a 2. The back pain was pretty bad for the first 4 months or so but now it seems to have gone from a pronounced pain to a widespread dull ache and soreness across my entire mid to lower back.

The problem for me, more than anything, is that the flu-like symptoms are persistent and literally do not cease at any point throughout the day. Admittedly first thing in the morning and last thing at night do seem to be worse than the rest of the day but other than that it remains at a constant throughout. 

I don't seem to be losing any weight, if anything I've put some on to be honest and I did have a blood test about four months ago and a MRI scan of my spine last month, both of which revealed nothing out of the ordinary if any of that is helpful?

I of course suffer from google-itis and the constant need to self diagnose so I think over the last few weeks I've had probably three or four different types of cancer and heavens knows how many other insidious conditions or diseases and I think more than anything, just a little bit of closure as to what is wrong is needed.

• Posted

Me too Simon , can't get off the internet and trying to find answers! I have worked myself into medical anxiety. What do the flu like symptoms consist of? I just absolutely could not eat, at all. Still having a hard time with my appetite. Wish that would go away. But, I'm not even three weeks post op, so I need to be patient!
    • Posted

Appetite is a little off although not massively, im still eating as normal but definitely not as hungry. In regards to the flu, its hardly debilitating. I'm still upright and working and getting on with my everyday life but im just exhausted literally from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep and feeling shaky and weak - my insides feel really hot but my outsides feel cold and I have mild nausea. I just feel pretty crappy in general, kind of like when flu is first coming on or just about ready to leave type symptoms really.

• Posted

Also seem to struggle with heat and cold - turning the radiators on often makes me feel too hot but turning them off makes me feel too cold
    • Posted

hi, does sound like something else is going on with you, the nausea and loss of appetite and weight does sound a bit like gastritus, l had that also, months of nausea, lost appetite and 2stone in a few month, scope did show some gastritus put on omprazole which helped a lot, they sell it at chemist as nexium, maybe your dr could let you try some. Though your other symptoms sound a bit different, maybe fibro which you can get gastric disturbances with it.Youll find out with gastrologist scope, l bet your fed up with it all, it seems some of us, quite a few on here, get more than one thing, sods law.  Hope you get some answers and improvement soon.   good luck
    • Posted

Hmm, definitely need to go get checked. Some sort of tummy trouble. Let us know what you decide to do. 
    • Posted

What does 2 stone equal in the US? 😊 I am currently taking Nexium, and have been since the end of January, but need to get off them, since not supposed to take long term. Still having some sort of acid or bile problem though, so need something. Fed up yes! Would love to have relief, as I'm sure we all would! Thanks for your reply
    • Posted

Hi, l think about 28lbs  12 kilos,  actually that part was great, the only posative, being l was 20kilos or more oweight, but didnt compensate for the horrible feeling. The omprazole settled mine, which is said to be same as nexium, and not ideal to be on long term, but if l stop the omp the nausea comes back quick, despite plain diet, so will have to carry on for now, cant do with the nausea back, the fatigue is bad enough. We battle on, the experts and tests get there eventually, hope youve not much longer to get diagnoses, Good luck for today and when you see  g.i. april. 
    • Posted

Thank you! That's about how much I've lost. I'm overweight too, but scary to lose it this way! I know about stopping the Nexium, I still take it when I have bad heartburn/reflux. The fatigue is horrible, I feel I could sleep all day, but my body and mind won't let me! Had my MRI this morning. Radiologist states they will try to have the results to my GP in time for my Wednesday appointment with her. I am so full of anxiety over the results! Went to the whole foods market today and bought apple cider vinegar, tart cherry, and some probiotics with a 50 billion live cultures and 10 strains of probiotics. Supposed to help with vaginal health, as well as digestive and immune health. Also bought homeopathic anxiety spray and lozenges, as well as homeopathic high blood pressure remedy and black cohosh for menopause. Trying to do things naturally, instead of taking all the meds the doctors give! Will let you know results when I get them. Hope you are feeling well! 
    • Posted

lve had buying spree,s of healthy food, and tried all manner of stuff, even the reccomended cabbage juice, discusting. Latest try is kelp, adviced to try iodine, now going to look for a s a d lamp adviced they do help.  Some people say apple cider vinegar is good,hope it helps let us know. l,m not too bad, helps with spring arriving, just usual tiredness, same old same old, as they say. l have to say when the omprazole settled my nausea, l then took a cravingto chocolate, meaning the lost weight is going back on,  Be a long day for you tomorrow, see if you can fill it with something that passes time quick, and good luck for wednesdays results, might be youll not find out til you see g.i. Do post how you go on, some go away and you never hear from them again, you dont know if its good, or bad, l guess most will have improved or got answers.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.