Sore itchy skin on arms and legs (pics)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm new to this forum and it's my last Portacol to get help. I have been referred to dermatologist a few years ago although nothing really developed and they could not pin point how or why I am getting it.

I have had a patch test done resulting in nothing. I have tried almost all moisturisers.

I have tried all steroid creams.

I have patches of dry sore itch skin.

It occurs mostly on my arms and upper leg. It is worse when I go to bed and just after a shower.

I have attached an image

https://postimg.org/image/j60seikk1/

https://postimg.org/image/dvvtn80b5/

Has anybody had any experience of this type of excema and their way of controlling it?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That rash looks similar to my rash. It only effects my limbs as well.

I have several suggestions for you.

But first, can you find out the type of water treatment that is provided from your water company. If you call them they will be able to tell you if they treat with chlorine or a newer mixture of chlorine and ammonia which is called chloramine?

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I found my water board. It appears to be chlorine but I have them coming out this week to do a test to see if there are any abnormalities and I will get results in a week.
    • Posted

Well that is great it is not treated with chloramine.

What state do you live in? What has the temp been lately? I live in Louisiana where we have a lot of humidity. I notice that cold days that have no humidity are the worst for me.

I can't use any commercial products like the ones that smell so great, not even products from Walmart or Drugstores.

I have to use mild baby Castile soap (no other type Castile soaps) and coconut oil (organic and cold pressed).

My rash started on just my limbs but as I have gotten older it has started to spread to my trunk area. However, the limb rash never goes away.

What type of skin do you have (oily, dry, normal)? When you put moisturizers on do you find they never soak in or does your skin absorb oil quickly?

Do you shower or bath nightly?

• Posted

I replied but it looks like it may not get posted to our thread until it is approved by a moderator.

I added two product names. I think that is what flagged it.

If it doesn't post by this afternoon I wil rewrite it and forego brand names.

• Posted

hi marty

i too can relate to you condition, have you try coconut oil as a moisturiser, if not try a blend of cocoa butter mixed with jojoba oil and almond oil over a pot of hot water until it amalgamated once cool but in a container and freeze use as a moisturiser. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Do you know what ratio I should be using?
    • Posted

Hi

try a equal parts all . All you can do is try it. I am at the moment having a flare up it drives me crazy, starts with the itching which in turn causes scratches, I take antihistamines every day.

• Posted

Hi I am here at 1.45 am up with the soreness of this.

I am like you it's the soreness that is irritating, I do use the oils that I said to you but I guess it's back to steroid creams for a day I have suffered for the last 10 years but I know if I get it under control I get back to using the oils. 

Jean

• Posted

May sound silly but do I use this frozen to. Is it not better keeping as an as it's easier to apply?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.