Sore just under left rib

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been getting some pain and discomfort under the very bottom of my left rib! It co we and goes! Sometimes it feels like there is a lump and sometimes it goes!

Any ideas xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would ask your doctor about costochondritis. Does the pain spread down the front of your rib cage, the sides and front of your breasts and upper part of your back?  I had this for three months and it was extremely pain to touch or lie on.  When people hugged me or when I was carrying washing to the washing machine it was agony.
    • Posted

Yes, went to doctor today for pain under left rib, she said costochondritis. Prescribed steroids. Philippa, did yours finally resolve? 
    • Posted

Yes. A couple of years back, the costochondritis started in October.  I went to the doctor in December and she diagnosed it straight away.  She told me that the best I could do was take nurofen and wait it out and that by January, the pain would probably go which it did.  Strangely enough, a few days after seeing the doctor, the pain began to improve without taking any medication. I have heard that steroids are usually what is prescribed.

I asked what had caused it.  She said no one really knows but stress can be a factor.  I had had a lot of stress that year.  She also said that the chest wall has many bones and this is why I felt many so many hard lumps on my chest.  I initially panicked about this, and obsessively compared each side of my chest wall to see if each was the same.  I am very boney there and this is why I felt them more.

My major anxiety though, was my breasts because this was where the majority of my pain was.  I began even to think I needed a scan.  After I got over this, I got IBS which probably started in the following February but the pain went away. In March, my stomach pain came back and became constant.  It wasn't diagnosed till mid May.

• Posted

I am having the same problem but under my right rib I had an ultrasound 2 weeks ago and going back for results later today
  • Posted

I have this same problem with my hips and my ribs. It just randomly shows up then leaves in a hour I have a doctors appointment today to get it looked at
  • Posted

Same problem here. Seeing GP today for help. Was in discomfort all day. 
    • Posted

My GP stated she thinks it is costochondritis. Prescribed me steroids. We shall see. 
  • Posted

I am also suffering from same conditions for a long time,a mild  pain starts under the left rib and then spreads up into the left front and back and left sholder.I haven't visited any doctor yet but I think it stomach problem. I am some what obese and trying to reduce my weight. I think it is due to stomach weakness because it never increases and always stays mild.
  • Posted

Well went to See my GP today and he confirmed what I was thinking! That's that it is probably IBS.

Anyone got any updates xx

• Posted

That's good as at least you know what your dealing with now! Did you get tablets? I got Mebeverine
    • Posted

No just told me to keep a food diary and eliminate foods that cause a flare up x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.