Sore throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Anyone get sore throat? I have a bad one. I read that it could turn into strep? Or just common? Remedies at all? Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Gargling with salty water is the best remedy I know - don't swallow it!

Sore throats are certainly common for lots of reasons, most of them nothing to do with COPD and they can turn into strep throat if you don't catch them in time

• Posted

Hi I cured one once gargling with tcp and water.  Tasted foul but worked very quickly.    x
  • Posted

Hi Maryterese!

Yes, about a year ago, I had a horrible sore throat and lost my voice.  I went to my GP and he put me on a Z-pack and prednisone for it.  When I went to my Pulmonary appointment in June and told my doctor about it he said "you had a flare-up.  Your GP treated you the same way that I would have".  PLEASE, Maryterese, don't mess with lozenges, garggles, etc.....it could be a flare-up and you need to see your doctor.  Also, if it IS strep, your doctor may put you on some meds for it.

• Posted

The sore throat is better today, just slight. If it continues I will go to the dr. Thanks so much, I would never have known it was a flare up.
    • Posted

Thanks to everyone. I am going to see if it comes back and then decide.
  • Posted

afternoon  maryterese

Like you I get quite alot  of sore throats but also wouldn't off known it was another flare up it can be quite confussing sometimes I thought it might be the fact that when I used the seretide inhaler direct by mouth that it could of been the inhaler as after a while it made my throat & mouth feel sore so I started useing the inhaler with my spacer & it has made a difference it's not so harsh on my throat & mouth I thought it could of even be thrush returning but didn't think it was muuch to do with the copd as when having an exacerbation I don't always have a sore throat! you could try taking a tablespoon of honey if you can tolerate it as honey can be soothing or live natural yogurt hopeffully one of these might bring some relive & as for the live yogurt if you can tolerate that also it will help fight the bad bacteria & leave in the good bacteria it helps some people but not all  i wish you well & hope maybe some of the above suggestions might help!smile

• Posted

Hi maryterese! 

may I ask! do you also find you get very cold for a day or so before a flare up? It might just be me or does anyone else I wander get this symptom it's like this I can be cold from the time I take my boy's to school & when i get back home I have my coat on right up to the time when I've collected them from school & only after an hour or less I start to feel not so cold plus my oygen will be on the low side even moving around. 

Am actually online now typing on this forum & have my coat on & feel shivery at times with ackes & pains! Do you get these symptoms?  Hope your throat feels better soon aswell!

• Posted

Wouldn't that be because you have a fever?   I'd be getting myself onto antibiotics asap with those symptoms:  fever with aches & pains usually means flu, which can develop into pneumonia very quickly with COPD.

I'm amazed your doctor/s haven't told you this

• Posted

Morning jude65855

thank you for mentioning this! However I don't have a  high temprature

I've just this minute checked it & the reading is 35.3c but i find my temprature goes up & down I guess that might be a clue or be normal!?

• Posted

Good Morning Ladies!

As to the sore throat....it totally shocked me when my pulmonary doctor told me that I had experienced a flare up when I had my sore throat and lost my voice.  I just thought I had a terrible cold.  I'm just thankful that I mentioned it to my pulmonary doctor so that I can get to either him or my GP if the same symptoms appear again!  Also, regarding the thrush, Karen, a good friend of mine had gotten thrush and told me to ALWAYS rinse my mouth with Listerine or some mouthwash after I use my Advair medication (I'm on Advair, Spiriva and oxy overnight). I use the Advair morning and evening and rinse with Listerine each time.  Thanks for all the help ALL of you have given to me!!!  Let us know how you are doing Maryterese!   XOS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.