Sore throat and swollen tonsil

Posted , 5 users are following.

My right tonsil has been swollen for about eight months now and I've had a persistent sore throat/hoarse voice. Ive also had this terrible pain in my ears. I've gone back and forth to doctors that haven't told me much. I had been prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotics but it didn't help. I finally got a CT scan showing something like an abscess, but the doctor explained to me that it showed no infection and was only present in one tonsil. She was kind of panicky, trying to look for a solution but ended up just giving me antibiotics..again. Those didn't work either. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've been having the same problem for the past eight weeks - sore and dry throat, swollen left tonsil, swollen glands and ear pain on the left and excessive yellow phlegm. Symtoms seem to be worse at night/in the morning.

I've been to four different doctors, did two throat swaps, confirmed not baterial, haven't been prescribed any medication. And the doctors don't think i need to go to an ent. They all say it's just a viral infection, hard to shake off but it will go away eventually.

I've been trying to do sinus rinse twice a day, and rinse my throat with salt water - seems to help a bit, maybe you can try too. Not much solid advice i can give you but just to let you know that you're not alone!

• Posted

Eight months is long.

Like marco, it could be viral infection that you cant do much about except salt gargles.

• Posted

I have been trying salt gargles for almost the whole eight months and it really hasn't done much for me

• Posted

Hi rocky.

Are you a professional Dr. Can you open your personal messaging pls.

• Posted

I have been dealing with a similar issue. I am on day 16 of post op of having my tonsils out.

I had right sided ear pain, chest pain, throat discomfort, feeling of a lump in my throat, and my right tonsil was hard and swollen. This started in October of 2016. I was diagnosed with reflux, but they told me the tonsil was unrelated. I saw an ENT who told me that it could be sinister things or it could be nothing- but we wouldn't know until it was biopsied. In order to biopsy, they had to remove the wholend tonsil. I ended up having both tonsils out and my adenoids too.

Biopsy came back as a chronic tonsillitis. I was on 3 antibiotics since this started and none of them cleared the infection. My ENT, GI doctor, and primary doctor all said there was no signs of infection.

It's been a long road but I am so happy I had mine removed. I am 30 years old and have dealt with anxiety issues for years- so.to go through with this surgery was a big decision. I felt it was my only way to stop the pain and stop worrying that it could be something very bad.

Melissa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.