Sore throat for over 3 months, along with enlarged deformed left tonsil

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Posting here because I'm at my wits end. I should start off with saying I'm a 25 year old female, I don't smoke, drink, etc. I previously (over a year ago) went to see an ENT because my tonsils were full of tonsil stones. He squeezed them out and told me to gargle daily with the original listerine. I've been doing that since but still get the occasional stone. Well about 3 months ago I came down with a nasty sinus infection and I was put on a form of cephalexin to clear that up. It worked well and all was fine. A week after that I developed pus on my left tonsil. Like a lot of pus so I went to the doctor, she looked at it and said tonsillitis and gave me a z-pack (because I'm allergic to penicillin). Anyways after the treatment from hell there were still white spots on my tonsils. I went back and she said they should clear up on their own. Anyways they did but my tonsil is now DEFORMED. It's lumpy, bumpy, red and gross. I tried to push on it to see if there were any stones but it's HARD. It feels like a hard mass. I went back to my doctor and she referred me to another ENT. I went to see him and he never touched my tonsil or anything, just looked in my ears and told me that yes my tonsil looks enlarged but without any positive throat swabs he won't take it out. Well 2 days ago I went back to the GP and told her I'm worried as hell because it feels like there's a mass in my tonsils and the white is still coming and going. She looked again, said nothing wrong and told me it's all in my head and prescribed me Ativan. But also send me for a head X-ray to check my sinuses. Like I know my body, I know that there's something wrong. I woke up this morning to another sore throat and when I looked down my throat at the very bottom of my tonsil there looks to be a white blister looking thing. My tonsil is extremely vascular and hard and it's genuinely worrying the hell out of me. I'm in a small town for school until April and it's hard for me to change doctors. I'm worried about what I should do or if anyone has anything similar. I'm new to this website so I'm not sure if I can post pictures or not.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am 67 years old.  Very few people have tonsils who are my age, when they stopped taking them out I don't know.  But they always took them out because they are always a problem and are of very little use in our times.

However, you have yours and getting them out at your age is a BIG mistake, the problems after surgery are numerous at your age and Penincillian still works for strep throat.  If you have enlarged tonsils they would gag you making it hard to breathe.

You are worried about a near useless organ, and I agree with your doctors, it's all in your head, and you simply will not believe what will happen to you if you keep this up.  Our minds are capable of creating very bad things.

Go and smell the roses.

• Posted

The problem is I'm allergic to penicillin. My left tonsil is so large I gag when I swallow. I can't eat anything like steak anymore because I physically can't swallow it. I can feel it in the back of my throat. It's like a solid mass. So to say it's all in my head is a bit rude. I know my body and I know this isn't normal. If you're not going to be helpful I would prefer you not comment.

• Posted

I also have a lump in my throat all the time.... it's called Globus Sensation. There is no lump..

All the doctors you've seen, they do not agree with you - so you came here to seek confirmation... not to seek help.  I hope you relax, it will all go away.  Find something to consume your time.

A tonsilectomy is huge dangerous surgery at your age and there are other antibiotics which work with strep.

Stay well.

• Posted

Yeah that's definitely not what I have. It doesn't feel like there's anything stuck in my throat constantly. It also doesn't feel like a pill as I just read that's what that sensation feels like. The first ENT wanted to remove my tonsils after my next check up which I couldn't go to because I moved away. I'm not seeking confirmation, I'm not seeking help. I'm looking for someone to RELATE to. Someone who has been down this path. I've had two GPs and an ENT recommend removal. I've also had my ENT ive seen a few weeks ago recommend removal which he can't do because no GP has the sense to do a swab. They're just prescription pad happy.

• Posted

Did you ever get any answers to this? I have the exact same symptoms and has been going on for longer than I can even remember! Today I can’t stop vomiting and am at a loss of what to do sad
    • Posted

amber18765 and brittanyb415, I have this same problem. It is NOT all in your head! I have had a sore throat and swollen glands on and off for the last 2 years. It will go away for a week or so and then the next week, it's back and there for 2 weeks, then be gone for a half of a week, then come back, and so on. Mine is mostly my right tonsil. When I swallow, it feels like I'm swallowing razor blades. I get a headache, my whole body feels achy and crummy, and sometimes I get nauseous with it. I always think it's strep throat, but it only comes back positive on occasion. I'm exhausted all of the time and I am so tired of feeling sick. When I look at my right tonsil, there are lumps and bumps, it has little circular like growths--they aren't big at all, but there are several of them, it is enlarged, and very painful. I have had tonsil stones in the past (I actually thought I was weird and that something was super wrong with me because a NP had said she hadn't ever heard of that...they are gross!), but this is different. If I don't keep something to drink on hand or chew gum, my breath doesn't smell really pleasant. I have excellent oral care so I know it's not coming from my teeth or gums. I have an app't with an oncologist in 2 weeks as my GP thought it might be lymphoma. All I know is that I'm miserable and I really want to feel well again. I hope you 2 have found answers! Just know that you're not alone and you aren't crazy. You know your body best. Take care!!

• Posted

I've been having the same issue for about 8 months now, Shann00592. My throat generally does not feel normal. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it burns - I mainly feel it on my left tonsil. Sometimes it feels like razor blades when I swallow on that side and then it will feel okay for awhile. I have been to an ENT, had a CT Scan, an MRI and I'm going to see an ENT again. They don't seem to see anything wrong. I'm starting to wonder if it might be lymphoma too. My GP has decided to send all my test results and ongoing notes to an ENT to see if they can decipher anything but what I would really like is for them to take another look at my throat and do a biopsy.

I'm tired of feeling sick as well and I'm sad most of the time. I hope you get some relief soon and I really hope that you come back to give an update on your situation. Take care!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.