Sorry tmi discharge

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all me again

How long does the discharge last I'm having to wear panty liners because there is so much

I'm 3 weeks post op for a hysterectomy,Cystocele,rectocele repair

Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

discharge was not so much after about five weeks but urine leakage means I still have to wear the dreaded pads. 
  • Posted

Hi Miss, my bleeding/discharge lasted about 5 weeks. It gets less as the weeks go by, but it seemed as though it lasted for ever and I was getting worried because I thought there was something wrong with me. But this forum put my mind at rest when others replied that they had had the same problem for quite a few weeks. Good luck and hope your recovery goes well.
  • Posted

Hi Miss30

I'm 4 and a half weeks post op and I'm also still using pantyliners but  only have small discharge, it's defintely diminishing every day.We're getting there slowly but surely x

• Posted

Everyone is different obviously, mine was bad at 4/5 weeks but it was because I had an infection. Now the infections have gone it's a lot lighter. I'm now 7 weeks post op.

• Posted

Most of the discharge will be following the hysterectomy rather than the prolapse repair and it can last for about 8 weeks. If you had just had the repair you would only have a discharge for about 4 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi matron I hope you don't mind me asking?

In the leaflets it says that by 3-4 weeks I should be back to my full walking activity and almost daily activity but I'm still exhausted and feel no where near any of this, I have I just got lazy and need to push to do more?

Thank you

• Posted

Which leaflet are you referring to Miss30 because that is unrealistic?
    • Posted

Royal college of opstectricians and gynaecologist

Recovering well

Pelvic floor repair

• Posted

That is being updated actually and I'm going to ask for it to be removed, well not me personally but I'll speak to a urogynaecologist. You have had 2 major surgeries (repairs) and a minor operation so for the first 2 weeks you shouldn't do anything really and lift nothing heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea. Then you can start mobilising and going for short walks, but not on your own because you will be weak. If you feel tired don't push yourself but rest. You'll start to feel stronger as the weeks go by and by 6 weeks you will start to feel as though you are "on the mend" so to speak. It's really too early to return to work at this point and recommendations are wait until 8 weeks unless you are on your feet all day, lifting or driving a lot. There's information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page that will help particularly the South Tees information that's more realistic with timescales. You've had 3 operations at once and how anyone (properly a man) expects you to conform to the unrealistic timescales is crazy!!

• Posted

Thank you so much I was getting worried as I can't see my self back to work any time before 8 weeks and probably with the nature of my job a lot longer. I have been pushing myself to walk more because of that leaflet but I do feel my hospital should have gave me some information

• Posted

Some hospitals give very little information which I am disgusted about because this surgery is delicate and recovery is lengthy compared to some gynae surgery. If you had had the hysterectomy on it's own then recovery would be much shorter but cystocele and particularly rectocele repair are often painful and you must be so careful particularly in the first 6 weeks to allow healing to take place.

• Posted

Hi Miss30, I used them for a couple of months but that was also because of slight urine leakage as well. I was worried about the urine leakage but that has cleared up now as well 99% of the time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.