sorry to keep asking . . .

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

What is the resurfacing of hip please? Is it the antroscopy  removing spurs whatever?

also

when you have private consultation do you get MRI as well as x ray as the norm?   i feel i am back to drawng board as too little information  except for good steroid result

Do we assume that when we have 'pain'  it is inflammation?  as I cant understand if it is ' bone to bone'    why this wouldnt  be painful  ALL of the time

love and best wishes    pauline

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

A resurfacing is or was meant to be better for more active people who are a bit younger

Rather than chopping the femur off the ball part of the joint is cut down so a bigger ball can be pressed on.

The socket part is pressed on to the other part of the hip.

The idea being that it doesn't take as long to recover compared to traditional replacement

Some surgeons don't use this procedure anymore because of the chromium/cobalt problems in the blood

• Posted

thanks  Larry  Il try and absorb that      unsure what you mean about blood problem? is this from the replacement  and take it isnt good for you?
    • Posted

It's the level of chromium in the blood from the metal on metal implants

My hip is made of titanium which is very hard but some people have had problems with there's.

One hip device made in the states by Dupey or something like that has been taken off the market completely

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Larry has explained resurfacing and I agree that very few ortho consultants do this now.

I just want to give a word of warning, a private consultation is just that, speaking to the consultant. Any investigations, inc bloods, xrays and MRI scans are charged on top so you pay for everybody/everything involved, MRI scans can cost £3000.00 plus so be aware before you ask/agree and make sure it is being done on the NHS.

Best wishes and good luck with your appointment.

Dot.

• Posted

Hi Pauline

I've had a resurfacing Birmingham hip resurface 13 yrs ago....as has been said the femur head is sanded down, not sawn, then encased for me anyway in titanium...to go in freshly lined socket.

Success has been mixed but some hospital still do it and indeed like it as less in aside. Some folk have metal ions in blood problem I gather.

Hope this helps. I'd have had another resurfacing but not available locally!

Mic

X

It's been 100% fine except for airport security systems!

• Posted

Hahhahaha I get stopped every time.

I had a titanium plate put in my shoulder following a motor bike accident im 2003

First time I went through security I warned them about it but it didn't go off.

I put that down to my shoulder having more aluminium in the titanium alloy than the hip.

I'm glad to hear you're 13 and still going strong.

Where did you have it done btw??

• Posted

Hi Larry

At NOC Oxford......THR at Exeter 6 months ago.

Heathrow always pings but Gatwick is not pinging for me...wierd!

Bestest

Mic

• Posted

I had resurfacing on my right hip 8 years ago, left 12 months after. Op is as described with femoral head being left in place. Often referred to as Birmingham hip as research was done at Birmingham university I believe. If you google Birmingham resurfacing there's loads of info.

My resurfacing was titanium cover on femoral head with titanium cup , but the metal on metal has lead to some metal debris occurring in some cases (not mine) so is no longer conducted.

Whilst my left hip is still fantastic, my right gave me pain after 7 years and 10 weeks ago I underwent THR. Turns out the cover over femerol head had worked loose which was causing me the pain.

Having now had both resurfacing and THR I can tell you post op recovery on both has been very similar. None weight bearing for 6 weeks etc

Hope this info helps.

Mike

• Posted

And I also set alarms off at airport security!! My family let me set off 5 minutes ahead of them as they know I'll end up getting a rigorous search! 😳
  • Posted

Hi  and thanks to everyone

today i just feel the whole thing scares me to bits     its so difficult to be asked by consultant to think hard about it, as he is sure the wear is tiny        I keep thinking now that there must be another route ?  as why   replace a whole hip  if its in good condition?   pity we cfant compare pain!

px

have to switch off  for sanity at moment

i am really grateful,   there has been no mention of the resurfacing probably due to age

px

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.