Sound waves to drain blocked ears

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a really bad flu that ended in an inner ear infection.  2 round of antibiotics and 2 rounds of penicilin didn't help with my deathness, popping, crackle, etc.

Yesterday my doctor put a musical tuning fork (I don't know what note) in the centre of my forehead.  I could hear it as clear as a bell with my death ear and barely with the other one.  Within seconds I was swallowing yucky stuff. 

My ears continued to drain for the next 8 hours with 2 major mouthfuls and 2 very significant dizzy spells.

Today my ears aren't completely better but are 80% improved.  I have ordered my own tuning fork and will treat myself when it turns up next week. 

I tried finding info on sound waves draining ear fluid but couldn't find anything.

I hope this helps and wish my doc had tried it weeks ago.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow, that sounds crazy.  I saw my ENT today.  Let me just say it was a joke.  They guy doesn't take it seriously because it is not life threatening.  I gotta go see another.  I've seen improvement ever since this started about 3 weeks ago but I still have symptoms just as strong, I guess just not as frequent.  Maybe over time, it will just all go away for us. 

• Posted

Can you tell me more about the tuning fork?  What key was it in?  Can you find out?  Does it have to be in that key for it to work or is it specific to each person.  Where is your doctor located?
    • Posted

Hi teedizzie

My doc is in Ipswich Australia.

Stupid me forgot to ask what key the tuning fork was but the people at the musical store told me that low notes vibrate slower while high notes vibrate fast.  I have ordered a middle C and a 1 octave up C tuning fork.

All the doctor did was start it ringing with a tap on his knee then held it to each ear. Then he put it on my skull in the centre of my forehead.  Simple as that. 

What was amazing is that beside my ear I couldn't really hear it but on my forehead it was clear as can be.

I know that your ear drum picks up vibrations so maybe the sound travelled through my bones and rattled something loose.

After trying to find info all day and reading all the scary stories I'm amazed that there isn't a simple cure, some people suffer for years.  But 28 hours later my deaf ear is better than my "good" 1.

Hope you feel better soon and give it a try, it didn't hurt.

• Posted

Hi teedizzle

I have been pointed towards some helpful info See Weber test.

The tuning fork is 512hz or 1 octave above middle C

Don't know why this drained my ears and noone else has reported the same effect.

Hope you feel better

• Posted

My doc did that to me along time ago..haha i thought it was to test how sound was vibrating in my ears. Lol. Mine didnt respond to it. Except i heard sound in the oppsite area he place the fork. He did it three times in different areas. I didnt realize that was a way to drain ears. 
    • Posted

I dont want to ruin the placebo effect here but i its called The Rinne test is performed by placing a high frequency (512 Hz) vibrating tuning forkagainst the patient's mastoid bone and asking the patient to tell you when the sound is no longer heard. Once they signal they can't hear it, quickly position the still vibrating tuning fork 1–2 cm from the auditory canal, and again ask the patient to tell you if they are able to hear the tuning fork.ResultsEditNormal Hearing: Air conduction should be greater than bone conduction and so the patient should be able to hear the tuning fork next to the pinna (outer ear) after they can no longer hear it when held against the mastoid.

Abnormal Hearing:

If they are not able to hear the tuning fork after the mastoid test, it means that their bone conduction is greater than their air conduction. This indicates there is something inhibiting the passage of sound waves from the ear canal, through the middle ear apparatus and into the cochlea (i.e., there is a conductive hearing loss).

In sensorineural hearing loss the ability to sense the tuning fork by both bone and air conduction is equally diminished, implying they will hear the tuning fork by air conduction after they can no longer hear it through bone conduction. This pattern is similar to what is found in people with normal hearing, but patients with sensorineural hearing loss will indicate that the sound has stopped much earlier. This can be revealed by the investigator (with normal hearing) placing the fork close to her own ear after the patient indicates that the sound has subsided, noting that the sound from the fork is still loud and clear to a normal ear.

• Posted

Are you saying it is just a placebo effect than?  Because she said that it actually cleared her ear out which wouldn't be a placebo effect.  It's actual results. Also, would I get some kind of improvement just from listening to 512hz soffeggio on youtube?

• Posted

Hi lisalisa

Most of that technical ear test stuff just went straight over my head.  I have only being looking into this since yesterday when my doc drained my ear.  I haven't found any info on sound waves draining ears.  All I know is that it worked.  He only touched me once with the tunning fork and that was in the centre of my forehead.  Maybe the fact that there was no wax at all in my ear canals made some difference.  I don't know.

50 hours later my deaf ear is better than my good ear. There has been no change in that since last night.

• Posted

hi lisa

I just looked up mastoid bone and that is located in your ear not in the centre of your forehead.  After looking it up your forehead is called the frontal bone and is connected to a few things with big names including your eyes and nose.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Thanks for some interesting information. I just read through the Rinne Test and the Weber test.  The Weber Test puts the tuning fork on the middle of the forehead.  Turns out I had conductive loss as using the Weber test.

This it is a standard hearing test and I appear to be the only person who says that it drained my ear.  It did. I don't know how or why.  Maybe because I never received the Rinne test at all.  Maybe vibrating the

mastoid bone and auditory canal tightens the fluid behind the ear drum. I don't know.

All I know is that it drained my ears and my bad ear is 80% better.

• Posted

Its a test they do. I cant explain a thing. Maybe the waves or vibration somehow worked for her. It isnt dine for that purpose it is to test other stuff i nited. You know who knows.
    • Posted

the fact the vibration worked for you is a blessing. Maybe theres something to it. I wouldnt even know which tuner to get. Im not going to doubt it because you never know and its great that worked. Just that wasnt its intended purpose. Imagine if thats some form of cure. You never know
    • Posted

that is an interesting idea. With headohones maybe?  Worth a try. You never know. They have binurial beats for eustatian tube or sinus as well. I tried once made me feel so weird i stopped it. But it is a thing.i dont know how it works.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

definately a blessing, the relief is incredible. If only it had completely fixed them.  Can't wait to try again.

After reading Weber test they use either a 256hz (middle C) or a 521hz (1 octave up from middle C), the Rinne test uses the 521hz

Will let you know if my own tuning fork drains them as well. Hope so.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

just read through wikipedia on binaural beats. Sounds fascinating. The fact that you put a 530hz in 1 ear and a 520hz in the other ear and hear both as well as a 3rd note (530 - 520) 10hz - Alpha brain wave, is amazing. It also says that people rarely hear sounds below 20hz so how do they hear the 3rd (10hz) sound. Reading further apparently people only hear the 3rd sound if the 2 original sounds are transmitted through electromagnetic headphones and not through air conduction headphones. Strange.

Air conduction was also mentioned in the Weber and Rinne test.  With bone conduction (sound heard from the mastoid bone or the frontal bone) being for hearing loss in the middle ear and air conduction (sound heard outside the ear) being for wax build up in the ear canal.

People can only hear this sound when it is applied directly to the bone and it can be measured using a EEG which measures brain waves.

Its fascinating, the 3rd sound is supposed to do all sorts of things for your emotions, heart beat, relaxation, digestion, breathing rate, eye response, urination, sexual response, nausea and anxiety disorders, immune function, stress. It's supposed to help you reach a state of meditation.

It also goes into how music can help treat? the brain, central nervous system, stroke, Parkinson's diesease, Huntington's disease, cerbral palsy, Alzheimer's disease and autism.

Like wow.

• Posted

It isnt actually music. It sounds, frequencies. If you try it youll see what i mean. It is strange.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

I agree very strange. I found a 3 hour clip on Utube and managed to listen to 3 min before it got annoying.

The joy of external speakers. I wanted to move my computer well away from me.  Didn't hurt, Didn't feel good just annoyed me.

Maybe with special earphones it would be annoying and helpful. But don't think it would be fun.

Found an interesting thing called sonopuncture - like acupuncture but using sound waves.  It didn't specifically say anything about ears though but mentioned putting tuning fork in the centre of the forehead or the 3rd eye.  Same thing that binaural beats is supposed to open up.

Neither are something that I'm in too much of a hurry to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.