Sour and burning in mouth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anybody had these symptoms with acid reflux. I have been diagnosed with small Hatius Hernia and reflux from hospital but the symptoms of acid tasting in mouth is awful. DR has me on PPI but no effect

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is a common symptom of the reflux resulting from your hiatus hernia obstructing the proper operation of the lower oesophageal sphincter "valve" between the oesophagus and the stomach.

PPIs are excellent at reducing acd but reflux can still occur, just less corrosive. To reduce reflux, requires lifestyle modification or surgery.

This article is a good initial resource: https://patient.info/blogs/sarah-says/2016/04/acid-reflux-and-indigestion-the-facts-to-know-to-help-beat-your-symptoms

For more detail, visit the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Thanks for your message. Do you have experience of any medications that may help. I am already on ppi's but they have no effect. My consultant at the hospital is aware of small hernia but no further information. I have reduced alchohol to a couple of glasses at the weekend but no improvement. Kind Regards

• Posted

PPIs are th ebest way to reduce acid but they don't reduce reflux.

To do that, you need to follow the lifestyle advice or have reflux reduction surgery.

Read the free book / website www DownithAcid org uk

• Posted

I've had this with silent reflux, and also with low folic acid - which can happen on PPIs. Is it like a bitter taste? It's horrid I know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.