Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed laproscopically 2 months ago.  About a week later began to have pain in my upper abdomen which radiated to my back,with a stabbing pain in upper left abdomen where gallbladder was.  The pain has continually gotten worse.  Pain is worse when standing or lying flat on my back, or my right side.  Have been to ER 7 times since surgery and have had MRI, CT scans, liver function test, and endoscopy and nothing found.  Bloodwork and lab results have been okay too.  Cannot eat solid foods, fatty foods, or much of anything and have lost 35 pounds since surgery.  Doctors have me on pain meds, but I still am having the pain.  Pain is much worse at night and harder to control at night.  Was hospitalized for a week, and sent home with, "we don't know why you're in pain".  Have mentioned SOD to all doctors, and none have even acted like it is a real disorder.  Please help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

You sound like me only its taken 3 years to get where i am now. My lft's would elevate when i was admitted with a gallbladder type pain. Had gallbladder removed 2014 and that's when things got worse, had hida scan ecrp ultrasound mri all clear. I take a good swig of liquid gaviscon instant when i feel the niggles on pain starting, if that doesn't work it used to be hospital as i would get to the point of passing out with pain butbi have been given a gtn spray to relax the muscles, used it 3 times now since last hospital admission in April and it's worked. I lost my job because of thisin February, too much time off for hospital admittances. I went to see a new gi and i was expecting to be sent for a liver biopsy as my lft's are now chronically elevated although they do drop after ive had this pain but still abnormal but she wants me to have a ercp with manometry as she believes i have sphincter of oddi, if that's the case they will either give me botox or cut the muscle when i get this procedure. Don't let normal bloods put you off but make sure they are doing liver function tests, after an attack, mine always went back to normal but since December they have been very abnormal. I will keep you updated. Havnt got date for ercp yet. One gi did think i had this, hence the hida scan but apparently that scan isn't very good the ercp manometry is the gold standard.

• Posted

Hi

I've had that pain on and off since they removed my gall bladder. All tests negative. I have to watch what I eat or I end up on the floor in pain. One doctor recommended accupuncture, tge kind where they put electrodes on the needles and zap the nerves for each session. It somewhat helps, actually more than anything.

• Posted

I had all tests too but now awaiting an Ercp manometry which I never had and apparently it's the gold standard to test for SOD

• Posted

Hi

I had the exact same , literally less than a week after the cholcectomy was back in hospital 2010. Same as you was fobbed off by my doctor ... Changed hospitals and after getting a much more sympathetic surgeon ( and 2 years later ) after searching the Internet and changing doctors confirmed SOD.

I was prescribed GTN Spray which is an incredible help and gets me out of pain.

with the combined use of the GTN, Pethidine, and a Hot Water Bottle. Don't laugh, it's one of the best things to help as the GTN helps relax the smooth muscles

and so does the heat from the hot water bottle.

Keep pushing for a confirmed diagnosis and insist on GTN spray , you may get a headache with it, but I'd rather that, than the pain from going into spasm.

PS I can't have further surgery as there's no way they can get to cut or stent my Billiary due to previous stomach surgery.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.