sphincterotomy experiences

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone!

So I had my second round of botox on the 30th April again, to no avail.

The only next option is the sphincterotomy. I would love to hear peoples experiences if they have had it done; recovery time, first BM after surgery experience, side effects etc

This really is a last resort for me!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had this procedure done at the beginning of March.  Had a couple of days bleeding and was sore/uncomfortable, with just a little seepage, for just over 1 week, but that was all.   Was worried about loss of control but apart from some unexpected wind (!) , this wasn't a problem.  

Unfortunately, I couldn't access the follow-up help I needed due to lack of communication within the hospital so needed a further procedure last Month).

With the help of Movicol, and now Fybogel, no problem with bm even directly after surgery.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi!

I'm glad your procedure went well - bar the followup procedure.

Were you off work for very long and has the control over wind got any better?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Posted

Hi

I'm retired now so work wasn't a problem but to be honest I felt well enough 2 - 4 weeks following the procedure (and the wind problem had albut gone by then!) to carry on with my normal life.

For me, it was just a shame I was unable to access the follow-up that had been promised.  Still, looking good now.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Dear lhz31189,

If I were you I would get the sphictoronomy surgery which is on the sphicter muscle. I had a bad fissure last  year and this  surgery helped me a lot. The sphicter muscle plays a large role in not allowing the fissure to heal on its own because the spasms do not allow the fissure tto heal. The only issue I had, if  you consider this an issue at all considering the amount of pain you have been in, is that after the surgery I do not  have as much control on whether I can stop my farts from coming  out in public  or not. Now, I will not tell you that it is not painful to go poop right after surgery, because it is, but after a few days it gets better. Besides that, I have been doing great. I hope this helps and may you  have a good reccovery. I am very sorrry that you have to go through this because noone should  have to go through anything like thiis.

Myles Marcus 

• Posted

I have a EUA on Wed . . 

Schedule to have ultrasound (internal), botox 3rd time, possible fissurectomy

Now in year 4 of this misery . . 

I just want to wake up and get home again . . 

Will let you all now how I get on.

• Posted

thanks - wish it was done and back at home - cannot come quick enough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.