Spicy foods and me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I'm Hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Lately it seems that when ever I touch any food with a hint or spice within 2-5 minutes of finishing said food I would get intense stomach paints and then follows the run to the toilet.

I feel this may be cause by myself as I used to put chilli sauce and spices on everything but I don't do it as much now as because what I have just said.

But now if I have any spice at all it triggers it this could be from a mild curry to a spicy crisp (chip) such as Doritos heat wave.

Is there anything I can do to help obviously I have really cut down on the spicy foods but like I said it only has to have a little bit of spice now and I go running sad

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm exactly the same, even the smell somehow turns my stomach because I know what would happen if I ate it. Mine is triggered by quite a few things that aren't the normal triggers for IBS. I've just had to cut them out of my diet or if I do eat any of them, make sure I'm at home because I know what will happen. I've made the mistake of doing it when I've been away from the flat and been caught out on the way home and when you need to go, there's nothing you can do and it's mortifiying
  • Posted

Unfortunately the only suggestion I can give is go and see your GP, and in the meantime avoid spicy food. You might simply be stressed, and that's what's causing it. I've found that sometimes my IBS will settle down for a while and everything feels fine, and then it'll flare up again, making me lose sleep because of cramps, and unable to go to the toilet, or like you running for the toilet when I have spicy things. Hopefully your GP will have a solution for you, because it really sucks to be out somewhere and uncomfortable because your IBS is flaring up.
  • Posted

Hi lee27817, you need to find out why you can't have spice any more, I was diagnosed with ibs about 5 years back and since then I have discovered what is good for me and what isn't and excessive spice is just a no-no!  I try more herbs and less spice.  If I have spice I up my ant-acid or suffer for eating it one or the other, but you have to have a little bit otherwise you wouldn't have a life would you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.