Spinal Cord Stimulator what to expect

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have had a trial for a Nevro Senza SCS due to chronic pain resulting from failed back surgery. The trial was really successful so now I am waiting for a date for permanent implant. I would like to know your experiences of the procedure, was it done as a day case?  how soon did you return to work. And anything else you think may be helpful I will be having it done at either Wharfedale hospital or St James Leeds

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have not even as gone as far as you. I am afraid to even have the trial. Can you let me know how the trial was? I will be having one implanted in my neck not my lower back which they have told me they have less success with. Thank you
    • Posted

It was totally fine, a bit painful but after the first 24 hours really settled down, the benefit was amazing. My trial was for 3 weeks the only hardship was not being able to get showered or bathed. As soon as it was removed the pains came back again, cant wait to get the permanent one, Do not be afraid, it s better than being in pain 24 hours a day and having some quality of life and most of all being able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time Hope all goes well

• Posted

Hi I have the nevro had it fitted in June this year, I had an amazing trial but the perm stim isn't effective, its working but its not helping me enough. I had a CSF leak during the perm fitting & that was a rough couple of weeks but as soon as I had been patched for that I was back at work, 3 weeks after. I had my stim fitted privately at The Spire in Leeds and that was my 8th back surgery in 12 months. Even after everytging Im glad I have it & without it I wouldn't be able to do the things I do daily. I've now quit my job, I just couldn't work, the pain levels are really high & the morphine takes its tolls. Stay focused & optimistic when we reach this point we really have nothing else to lose. I hope its a relief for you x
    • Posted

I am getting ready for setting a appt. For evaluation for a pain implant for my back.

i am sorry to hear that CFM was leaking . U mentioned u had 8 back surgeries. May I ask what they were for?

I have a allergy for morphine. It makes me feel like I have bugs crawling all over and no sleep as well as stomach upset. I have 3 bulging discs. I herniated, ankylosing spondylosis, degenerative arthritis, stenosis and scoleosis. 

I hope u can can get back on track and find something to help u. U sound very positive and encouraging. Have you looked into some of the new biologic drugs for back pain? There are many good bios on the market that can give immediate relief as well as lasting for several months. That may be the way I will go due to my allergies.

Ask UR doc for a referal to a doc who is trained in bio drugs. 

I have read read many good things about them .  Hope u r doing well!

• Posted

Thanks for the quick reply. I have had a spinal fusion and a cervical fusion and I cannot have the the spinal chord stimulator until I have an MRI done in February. They are watching a growth in my brain, and if it has grown over the past 6 months then I have to have brain surgery before I can have the stimulator. Like everyone else, I just want some reflief from all this pain.
    • Posted

Bless you, you have so much to cope with. I hope that the growth has not grown  and that you can go ahead and have the SCS fitted for some much needed relief. I had a spinal fusion L5-S1 over twenty years ago Chronic pain is soul destroying and affects everything, team that up with not being able to sleep and you end up being depressed and just pill popping all the time. I hope 2015 is a very good and positive year for you

x

• Posted

hi jane  the scs proceeduer is a day case you can go back to work the next day but no lifting or bending twist ing or any strenuse exersise or the leads which take about twelve weeks to fuse will bend turn or break as happened to me and had to have the scs removed hope this helps all the best graham
  • Posted

hi jane i fogot to say ask about paddle leads which are stitched into place and recovery is much quicker unlike the normal leads which are proned to failer good luck graham
    • Posted

Hi Graham

Did you have the Nevro Senza fitted, I have been told I will be off work for 4-6 weeks and cannot drive for 6 weeks. I work in an office so I guess I can return to work quite quickly, Are you going to have another fitted or are you looking at other alternatives

Jane

• Posted

hi jane my scs was a boston scientific one and no theres no alternative so its back to meds for me  all the best graham
    • Posted

And to you Graham, Im so fed up taking meds all the time, lord only knows what it does to your insides  Best of luck to you too
  • Posted

Wow, that is great it has given you relief.  Can you tell me did you have a fight to get them to send you for the trial, is this through the NHS.  I am trying to get one for my husband but at the moment can't even seem to get him referred to see if he is suitable.  We are in London.
    • Posted

I hav been fighting for 2 years to get an SCS, I was told by my own pain doctor and a neurosurgeon that an SCS was what I needed, I was referred to a Sheffield hospital where I met the rudest doctor I have ever seen. I waitied six months for an appointment and then sat in his waiting room for 4 hours,at that first appt he told me he did not have my notes??? at the next appt he told me that I was not suitable for an SCS as my MRI did not show nerve damage. I then saw a neurosurgeon who did a few tests and told me I needed an SCS. I was then referred to a Leeds hospital  for a 2nd opinion where the doctor agreed an SCS was the right thing for me, he made me an appt to see a pain nurse who said I neede to see another doc as the first one was a locum and his opinion was not worth diddly squat. I really felt at this point that this circus would never end, anyhow I saw a doctor Bahrani who agreed to do a trial. I went to hospital on the 3rd December and had it until the 22nd ( he wanted to give me a long trial to rule out a placebo effect) it was amazing and now I am waiting for a date for a permanent implant, Keep pushing for your husband to be referred you could offer to pay for the first consultation to see if that helps. Good luck to you both and dont give up 

• Posted

Hi Jane Dr B is the guy who did my implant, he is also seeing me under his private sector to try & help me as my private insurance has expired, it was a company policy & when I had to quit my job I lost it, Dr B is amazing he actually cares & he is not the type of guy to walk away because something doesn't work or is difficult, just wanted to say I'd trust him with my life, you're in very good hands in my humble opinion & I've had my fair share of eejits poking & prodding me & making me worse
  • Posted

The stimulator was suggested to me at the pain clinicnI attend. I can get it it at anytime. Not sure about anyone else.
    • Posted

hi bethany  if you can get the scs at any time you are lucky as the rest of the country is on trial basis only or are you paying for yours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.