Spinal fusion L4/5/S1 - 6 weeks post op and nerve pain and weakness has returned

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum so apologies if I ramble.

6 weeks ago I had a spinal fusion with pedicle screws of the above vertebrae, laminectomy and decompression with facet joints removed.

This is after around 20 years of back problems and being told there was nothing wrong me, to a surgeon getting all excited and deciding surgery was the only answer.

At this point I had been off work for 9 months with excruciating sciatic pain, though little actual back pain by this point. There was significant muscle weakness in my left leg, though the right wasn't badly affected.

Surgery was supposed to take around 5 hours, but in the upshot took 12.5 as the state of my spine was much worse than revealed by MRI with extremely thickened ligaments.

I awoke to pain, but the nerve pain in my left leg had gone, also the paraesthesia in my left foot.

I was discharged after a week (I had complications after the lengthy surgery, including pressure sores and a collapsed lung).

I returned home in horrible pain from my spine - I know the surgeon told me the surgery wouldn't get rid of it, but I wasn't too bothered as it had never been that bad. He didn't warn me it would be 100 times worse, with no improvement in six weeks.

This last week, however, the sciatic pain appears to be back with a vengeance in the left and right sides. .. so intense I pass out. Walking is agony, I cannot bend or twist even tiny increments, and no sleep either. I have pain in my sacro region which extends into my hips, through my buttocks and down the front of my thighs too.

I appreciate there is a lot of settling down to do, but I am rather alarmed by the recurrence of the pain and weakness. My GP is little or no help and has no experience or help to offer.

I want to return to work... The theory was I would within a couple of months, but as I can't do anything for more than a few minutes without being in agony I can't see that happening.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Surgeon won't see me again for 6-9 months (dependant on waiting list) and though he has said it was very major surgery he also doesn't seem to be able to offer me any constructive advice.

Thanks for bearing with me in this long post!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Tiffany, bless you i genuinely can understand what you have gone through and continuing to go through. Sciatic pain is one of the most disabling pains one can endure. You have had major surgery and what a roller coaster and not being able to sleep compounds the misery. I to had spina fusion 5 months ago at 2 levels after excruciating sciatic pain and prolapsed discs. I sympathise i couldn't sleep as i couldn't lie flat on my back and relax my legs dwn and lying on either side hurt my hips. I had as many pillows and cushions supporting me as possible and i would doze on the sofa with pillows i found this helpful. I finally managed sleep 12 weeks after surgery then had a set back with pain in my hip of all places and numbness in my left leg and i struggled to walk up the stairs it was like a huge setback and i felt low. The surgeon said he would give me an SI joint injection under CT guided scan and it was fab. I also received 2 facet joint injections and im walking tall and can cope better with physio and driving and walk a mile every day i find if i don't i feel very stiff. 6 weeks is such early days for you and your pain sounds awful. Im so sorry your surgeon won't see you for months yet thats so unfair. Ring his secretary and state how urgent it is that you see him. Your right not to bend twist or lift and you physically can't at the moment because of pain. I was given diazapam as muscle relaxants to help during the night do you have something similar? It's early days but try and keep the faith. I to have been off work 9 months and returning in 2 weeks on a phased return its been a long haul x 
  • Posted

Hello Tiffany

I too had a spinal fusion with rods and screws at L5/S1 due to sponylolisthesis. This was 10 years ago, and my surgeon said it is a very big op as yours has also stated. He also told me my symptoms would be the same as the pain before the op or even worse until you start to heal and nerves that have been irritated settle down. I remember being in so much pain my husband didn't know what to do because I was demented with the severity of pain. He even phoned the hospital where I had had it done in sheer panic. They assured me it would calm enough to be bearable and it did eventually. Longest 6 wks of my life! Feel for you. If you are in insufferable pain, never mind the gp, phone hospital or go to A&E.

I'm due to have mine done again, further rods and screws l3/l4, so not looking forward to that, but sciatic pain is horrendous, unrelenting and driving me insane. So I empathize with what you are going through. Good luck and hope you get some relief very soon.

• Posted

Dear Tiffany i wish you well with your impending operation, you take it easy and your right the first 6 weeks are awful 
  • Posted

hi tiffany , i am about 9yrs ahead of you , you are in the phase i found most depressing , where noone seems bothered and your whole life is taken over by pain. i planned to go back to work gradualy after a few weeks but the reality was it took nearly 2 yrs to feel i had benefitted from syrgery , like yours it took whole day and 2 people lost their slots because mine was more difficult than was thought.i can remember wondering how to cope with xmas i couldnt even bare the pain of using my lap top to shop or wrapping a present as it all put too much pressure on my back . i am on a cocktail of meds more than i was on pre surgery but 80% of pain mannaged , mostly i have found ways around what i do , my job has changed and i have a cleaner to help with heavy duty furniture moving and vacuming but i have gone past the desire to beat med staff that made me feel it was all in my mind and just a temporay disc episode , you will find your own path through this i promise but dont expect answers from docs they will never ever tell you that you were misdiagnosed so just demand the pain relief and get back on your feet , stand tall and pull your tummy in as that is all good for the supporting muscles you need to build they take some of the pressure off , get a nice little dog to walk and cuddle this was my medicine , any way good luck , let me know how you get on , and understand it really is a very slow process so try not to get to inpatient or frustrated .
  • Posted

HinTiffany,

I am wondering how you are doing...I ha laminectomy with fusion on L4/L5 and facetjoints remonved back in December. Surgery was 6 hours and I am 9 months ot post op. I had simialr experiences first 2 months but it got better once physical therapy for 12 weeks happend.  I am still stiff in morn and have to stretch and I still get leg pains as i used to as well as groin pains if I stand too long...I just went back to hosting a restaurant 2 days per week within the last month and I am not even sure I am ready for this as it is too much standing at one time all day....I know one thing, i feel better after I stretch and do my daily routinne of exercises the PT gave me...It is time consuming but so very important.  I take tramado still on bad nights..I cant sit in a comfy chair yet and I get discouraged still about my current pains and limitations on being "normal". It is a very long recovery and I see the surgeon again in december for the 2nd time since the operation. I had no idea the recovery was going to take this long..My surgeon said it would stink and altohough he said i was fused at t6 months I fell I have to be careful and attention is required in each move I make....It is a long recovery and I am reading more and more it is a couple of years of hel before you are felling normal. Ugh..Wishing you luck and helath and determination as well as a positve attitude...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.